Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6314 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
hal9000
Advanced Member

Spain
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Stereoscopic 3D test

Hello.

I've recently bought a 3D monitor (with stereoscopic polarized passive glasses) and I'm making some tests on it, with movies, pictures, and 3D applications and games.

Among these tests I thought of testing Sweet Home 3D too. I did it in two ways:
  • realtime 3D view for a virtual walk
  • stereoscopic 3D picture render

The first one is achieved by using TriDef 3D Ignition software, and configuring SH3D to work with Direct3D instead OpenGL, since TriDef works with Direct3D only. TriDef is mainly intended for games, having profiles for many of them, but can also be used with other games or applications by using one of the built-in profiles for other games or using a generic profile. I used a generic profile for SH3D and It looks fine, although there is some weird effect with glass on windows or doors, which are displayed with a kind of inner frame around, although may be it can be fixed with another profile instead general.

As for the stereoscopic render, it's pretty simple: you just render two separate images, one for the left eye and one for the right eye. Then you only need to join it some way to create the 3D composition, depending on what viewing method or device you'll use to view the final 3D image. For this testing I decided to create a Youtube 3D video with the static 3D image, so every one will be able to select the viewing method best suited for him/her from the list of Youtube's supported methods, as odd/even rows (I use this one for my monitor) or red/cyan glasses, for example. I rendered this image with a resolution of 640x480 for it doesn't take too much time to render, but I guest the effect would be great with a bigger resolution. I used the "Example7" sample house provided in the gallery section of the web, leaving the default field on that file of 63 degrees and with a separation between the eyes of 6.5 cm. Note: for some reason when I see the video with interlaced rows method I see the image correctly while if I use the red/cyan glasses method then I have to use the option to swap left and right eyes, so you may or not need to use that option, just test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTvvbneiWc8

Some "technical" details for the rendering. First I generated the left eye view, then I go to the virtual visitor configuration to edit the point of view and leave everything the same except for X and Y coordinates. To calculate the right eye coordinates we need to have two things in mind about rotation and coordinates system on SH3D:

• for the rotation 0 degrees means the virtual visitor is looking at the bottom of the screen, and increase the degrees means rotate clockwise
  • for the coordinates system, X and Y coordinates increases to the left and to the right respectively, so the positive quadrant is on the lower right respect to the 0,0 point

So with all this, if we call E to the separation between the eyes, D to the degrees and XL, YL, XR, YR to the X and Y coordinates of left and right eyes, we can get the right eye location with:

XR = XL - cos ( D ) * E
YR = YL - sin ( D ) * E

That's all folks. :)
----------------------------------------
If a long walk every day were healthy, mailmen would be immortal. tongue
[May 27, 2013, 6:15:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hal9000
Advanced Member

Spain
Re: Stereoscopic 3D test

I rendered another 3D image from almost the same spot but this time with a field of view of 90 degrees and with a resolution of 1080p.

It can be viewed as 3D video on Youtube (remember to switch quality to 1080p):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjH8k7j2kRQ

Or it can be downloaded as stereoscopic image on MPO format:
http://d01.megashares.com/dl/3UwOaee/Stereosc...et%20Home%203D%20(HD).mpo

2D preview (sorry for the width, the forum bbcode doesn't seems to be able of resizing):

If a long walk every day were healthy, mailmen would be immortal. tongue
[May 29, 2013, 6:53:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Stereoscopic 3D test

Very impressive. cool
I tried it with some red-blue glasses of mine, and even if they are cheap glasses, it worked very well, much better than in a plug-in I started to program some time ago, when I discovered the anaglyphcanvas3d.AnaglyphCanvas3D class available in the Anaglyph Canvas3D project.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[May 29, 2013, 9:27:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved