Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4401 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
klgan

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Do I need to be an architect to design house?

Hi,

I told an acquaintance that I could help design the house using SH3D, for FREE, I just like the challenge to work on real project.

Instead of thanks I got a WARNING!

I was told that I should not do this unless I am an architect. I could be risking people's life. How if the building I designed collapse?!!

The argument does make sense. I am not an architect, how would I know if my design is strong or stable?

Now I'm disappointed and worry :-(. Worry, because I have just complete a design for my friend.

If I share the file here, could someone help checking it, to see if the design is okay?

Thanks.

klgan
[May 31, 2013, 6:47:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: Do I need to be an architect to design house?

It depends. I did, once, design an extension to a house and had it built with the help of a master builder who knew the structural requirements intimately. A friend I know, built a similar construction where a wall did indeed collapse.

You should also be aware of possible (other) legal requirements (e.g. Norwegian requirement of 5 m2 storage space in a normal home etc etc etc), which may be required before you can live in the house.

And, there may be other points where a professional can save you a lot of money (ensuring that plumbing runs directly from one floor to another - I know a horror story of a bathroom on top of a living room that could never me used for lack of plumbing).

That said - if you take your dream house to a good builder (or architect) - there is no reason you shouldn't see the fulfilment of your dreams. SH#D is a wonderful tool to help you develop and visualise what you want. But you do need a professional to finalise a design before building.

ok

PS. I would not recommend getting on-line "approval" - and I would certainly not advise anyone to give such an approval. Legal implications are unpleasant. Getting ideas, well that is a different matter.
[May 31, 2013, 7:52:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
scindapsus

after the design of your house, you can ask professsionals for suggestions.
[Jun 25, 2013, 6:38:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mathewtaylor

I agreed that if you are not an architect so do not design it because it's an essential part of home construction. You can give the idea of your planning. In your situation better to consult with the company or hire a contractor he will do all necessary things.
[Jul 9, 2013, 5:30:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved