Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 18051 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
Puybaret
Expert

France
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Sweet Home 3D 4.1.1

Hi,

For your information, I tagged Sweet Home 3D source code yesterday with the tag V_4_1_1 (i.e. version 4.1.1).
This version fixes bugs that happened under Mac OS X / OpenJDK 7, and is the base of a new version I developed during the past weeks for the Mac App Store.
As this distribution channel isn't compatible with the GNU General Public License and as the licenses of the libraries used in Sweet Home 3D allow me to distribute this application under a proprietary license, I chose to distribute Sweet Home 3D there under Apple's standard EULA, but will continue to distribute the free GNU GPL version on sweethome3d.com / SourceForge.net. The Mac App Store version doesn't bring any additional features except it's compatible with Mac OS X sandbox and comes with the 600+ free 3D models currently available.
I also decided to sell Sweet Home 3D there because distributing applications in the Mac App Store requires developers to pay an annual fee to Apple (even if you make it available there for $0), and developing and debugging a Mac OS X version of Sweet Home 3D compatible with Java 7 and the sandbox required many days of work. Preparing a Mac App Store version based on Apple's Java 6 would have taken much less time, but the Mac App Store refuses Java programs that rely on the Java version installed in the system, i.e. Java applications distributed through this channel must bundle their own version of Java. As Apple doesn't allow the redistribution of its version of Java 6, I had to prepare a Mac App Store version based on the young OpenJDK 7 for Mac OS X.
If enough users buy Sweet Home 3D in the Mac App Store, I hope that these additional revenues will help me to improve Sweet Home 3D for the benefit of all its users.

Once the final version of Java 7u40 will be released (hopefully by the end of summer 2013), I'll probably release an other version of Sweet Home 3D based on that version of Java, both for the free GNU GPL version and the Mac App Store version.

Finally, many thanks to Henri Gomez for his help on OpenJDK and to Marco Dinacci for his tips about building a Java application for the Mac App Store.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Puybaret at Jul 30, 2013, 8:49:12 AM]
[Jul 29, 2013, 4:59:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
m@

Re: Sweet Home 3D 4.1.1

These are interesting news, I'll probably buy the version in the future, it is definitely worth the money! As for now, I wait for the Mavericks release.
Do you think upgrading to Mavericks and using the App Store edition could speed up the render process and increase the overall stability of SH3D? (I run 10.6.8 on a 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB RAM) Where you already able to test SH3D on a Mavericks beta? And will todays new 3D Models soon be included in the App Store edition? That's enough questions for now biggrin
[Sep 6, 2013, 10:55:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Do you think upgrading to Mavericks and using the App Store edition could speed up the render process and increase the overall stability of SH3D?
I'm not sure Java 7 or 8 runs much faster than Java 6 (I didn't measure it), but maybe the program could benefit of the performance gain Apple promise for Mavericks...

Where you already able to test SH3D on a Mavericks beta?
Not yet. I'm following more Java versions than Mac OS X versions. wink

And will todays new 3D Models soon be included in the App Store edition?
I'll wait at least until Java 7u40 is released (still foreseen for mid-september). But it's possible to import the libraries I released in App Store edition too.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Puybaret at Sep 7, 2013, 7:36:34 AM]
[Sep 7, 2013, 7:34:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Sweet Home 3D 4.1.2 was released on the Mac App Store yesterday (and Sweet Home 3D source code was tagged with the tag V_4_1_2).
It runs on the final version 7u40 of Java released by Oracle two weeks ago, and comes with the 262 new 3D models released at the beginning of this month. I wanted to distribute that intermediate version quickly, because I realized that the version 4.1.1 miserably didn't work under Mac OS X 10.6, something that generated some disappointment and bad reviews of some users. Thus, I limited the version 4.1.2 to Mac OS X 10.7 and beyond.

See you soon for the beta of the version 4.2 that should contain bug fixes and a few improvements wink
[Sep 25, 2013, 4:29:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved