Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 15319 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
okh
Advanced Member

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Magnetism / snap to distance / symmetry

I do struggle with getting the measures accurate and achieving symmetry. I think maybe there could be a relatively easy solution:

Adjustable magnetism to default lengths (user defined, overridden by ALT+move as usual).

- Walls would snap to fixed user determined distances.
- Windows and doors aligned to same distances so they are easy to place symmetrically.

But then, maybe I am missing some function that would solve this (?)

ok

PS This would for instance be useful for wooden constructions where studs and rafters are placed at exact intervals (local standard: 60cm). Centring windows and doors to the studs improves structural strength and reduces building cost. For a local builder, I would set the magnetism to 30cm and voila, elements could be placed accurately without a whole lot of editing later.

PPS For me this would also solve 95% of the "Wizard" issue mentioned in the preceding post.
[Aug 22, 2013, 9:47:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
turnkit

United States
Re: Magnetism / snap to distance / symmetry

YES! This is the most frustrating aspect about Sweet Home 3D -- all the walls NEVER ALIGN EXACTLY. So much time is wasted getting corners to align exactly. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but it seems like the author just doesn't use the software to design walls a lot or they have some other tricks that aren't obvious.
[Oct 19, 2016, 1:31:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
danger89

Netherlands

I agree as well, it would be wonderful to let the windows snap.

Symmetry would be a nice to have.
[Nov 1, 2016, 10:50:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ambius

USA

I also like the idea of a snap-to-grid magnet.

While it is sometimes nice to have 1/8" precision, the majority of the time I am happy with 1" or 1/2" accuracy and WASTE a lot of time and concentration trying to get the lengths correct. I do know I can manually enter numbers when creating a wall, or double click properties for an existing wall, but this is very slow and I prefer a point & click grid method.

Another thing that would be nice, is if the current magnet points were bigger. So many times I try to use the magnet but miss by 1mm. With how easy it is to alt-click bypass the magnets, I would like to see the magnet area be stronger/bigger.
[May 15, 2017, 10:49:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

With a new plan, it is possible to:
- Start with drawing one wall.
- Modifying this wall to accurate co-ordinates.
- Draw from that wall (using ENTER and numeric values when possible).
That helps a lot with precision. And the Advanced Editing plugin is perfect for moving many walls.

Playing around with the XML file (thread 7674), I realised that it was easy to inspect wall co-ordinates and spot the ones that are off (and even to round all wall start and end points to the nearest cm if one dares edit xml). Specifically, it was useful in finding that one wall I had moved accidentally. Alas, this approach is probably of little use to most users and the cm values in the sh3d Home.xmel file may be of limited help in your case working with feet and inches.

But the tidy presentation of the xml file, makes me think that it might not be too hard for someone to create a plugin with a list of walls with properties.

ok
[May 16, 2017, 10:29:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved