Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 13
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6327 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
lightweave

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Length of a wall

It is unclear to me what the exact length of a wall is. I don't have a floor plan, so I go through my home, measuring each wall individually.
In SweetHome3D when I draw a roomw, the walls are connected to each other. The outer edge of the wall is always a bit longer then the inner edge. So I assume that the length of the wall is from the outer point to the outer point, right? How can I make sure that the inner length is the one that I want? Or asked differently, to what part of the wall is "length" refering to, when I draw a room by connected walls?
[Sep 25, 2013, 11:42:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: Length of a wall

Wall length is measured from middle of wall. The inner and outer lengths depend on wall thickness.

Depending on the complexity of your project, one hint could be first draw the room (which would have the correct INNER room measures), then double-click room with wall-tool to create walls around the room.

ok
[Sep 25, 2013, 11:53:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

For the record, the easiest and most obvious point.

For rectangular walls, the maths is straightforward:
Inner length = Wall length - wall thickness
Outer length = Wall length + wall thickness
etc

ok
[Sep 25, 2013, 12:56:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hal9000
Advanced Member

Spain

For the record, the easiest and most obvious point.

For rectangular walls, the maths is straightforward:
Inner length = Wall length - wall thickness
Outer length = Wall length + wall thickness
etc

ok

I think you're wrong. If I understand well how the walls are measured, then for a rectangular wall the middle length (or simply "length") is just the same than the outer and the inner lengths. For walls with one or two oblique sides (because of the connection with another wall) then the inner and outer length depends of the thickness, yes, but must be calculated with a bit of trigonometry wink rather than simply add or subtract the thickness.

I might be wrong, of course, but I don't think so.
----------------------------------------
If a long walk every day were healthy, mailmen would be immortal. tongue
[Sep 25, 2013, 1:40:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Ah, I may very well be wrong - or just lousy at expressing myself. This is what I meant: inner_outer_wall_measurements.sh3d

ok
[Sep 25, 2013, 2:37:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

And the example assumes, of course, equal thickness of (straight) walls and 90 deg room angles. Anything else, I would agree Mr Pythagoras needs to get involved.

ok
[Sep 25, 2013, 3:01:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hal9000
Advanced Member

Spain

And the example assumes, of course, equal thickness of (straight) walls and 90 deg room angles. Anything else, I would agree Mr Pythagoras needs to get involved.

ok

Even with 90 degrees angle in the union of two walls, you need to use trigonometry since the union itself is a line at 45 degrees. wink
[Sep 25, 2013, 3:22:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

I guess that okh meant "for rectangular rooms surrounded by joined walls of same thickness" and not "for rectangular walls"... wink
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Sep 25, 2013, 3:27:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hal9000
Advanced Member

Spain

Well, after double check the drawings and the measures, I was wrong in the way I was thinking of the diagonals itself instead the sides. And in addition I was taking into account just a side of the wall, which means to add or subtract half of the thickness, but of course that means the full thickness when it comes to the full wall with its two sides.

In conclusion, I was all messed up myself. laughing Nevermind.
[Sep 25, 2013, 3:58:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Of course, rectangular _rooms_ is exactly what I meant :-) Mea culpa. Thanks.

With all its limitations, this rule of the thumb calculation is still quite useful when drawing up a simple home measuring from the inside (or outside).

okh

PS As for the diagonals, Mr Pythagoras can fix that, but I have yet to need him for that...
[Sep 25, 2013, 4:31:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved