Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 99
Posts: 99   Pages: 10   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 202453 times and has 98 replies Next Thread
Puybaret
Expert

France
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Sweet Home 3D 4.2

Hi,

I'm happy to present you the first public beta version of Sweet Home 3D 4.2 that you can test with Java Web Start. This Java Web Start version works under Windows, under Ubuntu with IcedTea Java, but still not under Mac OS X (but I have god hopes that it will work for final release).

Even if it probably won't bring any change in the user interface, I will still add some long awaited internal features. The first one is the support for non rectangular doors and windows:

As the previous image shows, this includes support for various shapes (even the most weird ones), superimposed windows, slopping walls and textures. By default, the shape of doors and windows is guessed from the contour of the 3D model of the door or window, but it can be also any shape described with the new doorOrWindowCutOutShape furniture catalog property. The default catalog counts 4 new items: a round door frame, a round window, an half round window and a triangle window.
This new feature will work only when the door or window is parallel to the wall and thus, won't work for round walls. In that case, the surface around it will remain empty as in previous versions.
Note also that the surrounding rectangle of such doors and windows shouldn't overlap an other one as shown in the following image:

But even in that case, there's a workaround which consists of exporting the two windows as one shape at OBJ format and reimporting the OBJ file as one window:

This first beta fixes also a few bugs like rendering issues for mirrored windows and staircase missing in the plan when its height is equal to level elevation.

[Note from developer: Sweet Home 3D 4.2 was released on October 30, 2013]
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Puybaret at Oct 31, 2013, 12:09:54 AM]
[Oct 6, 2013, 12:19:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Sweet Home 3D 4.2

Well, well... you've been busy!
Sounds really nice! Thanks a lot.

EDIT
I've done some quick testing and I found one, maybe two problems.
In the attached file you can see three rounded doors that I found in the Sketchup Warehouse. Two have the correct opening, the third has a square opening. It may be a problem with the model, and not with SH3D.
The second (and real) problem is the invisible box (see furniture list). It doesn't show at all. I use it quite often to make a hole in wall, but it's completely absent now.

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Edit 1 times, last edit by hansmex at Oct 6, 2013, 5:48:52 AM]
[Oct 6, 2013, 12:33:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Hans, many thanks for your feedback and your tests. smile
The 3D model that causes some problems in the file you posted contains a lot of vertices, and to avoid killing performances, I chose to stop the search of the window surrounding shape if its model have more than 10000 vertices. Maybe I should increase that number if this is the case of many models available on the web, but I would prefer that users describe the shape of the door with the new doorOrWindowCutOutShape property in a SH3F file. I know that the SVG path syntax isn't so easy but it's very handy and short, as shown in these examples.

About the invisible box, please update to the beta 2 version.
[Oct 6, 2013, 10:30:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Emmanuel,

To do some further testing, I downloaded a few models from the Sketchup Warehouse. Some large, some small; some had to be converted from SKP to DAE. You can see the results in the attached file.

Doors #1 and #5 (from left) don't insert properly. I noticed this behaviour also in one of the doors in my first test file.
All in all, 5 out of 9 doors/windows do not create the correct opening. I noticed that #8 initially inserted correctly, but on re-opening the file also showed a square wall opening.

You have always tried to keep the user interface as simpel and intuitive as possible. Several features that users asked for have not been implemented because you feared the program would become too complex for the average user. Asking users to define an SVG path, in my opinion, is far beyond the capabilities of most users. It certainly is beyond my capabilities.

In that light, you may want to reconsider increasing the maximum number of vertices. If you can make a "private update", I would be happy to time the speed difference between, say, 10K, 25K and 50K vertices.

Hans
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Oct 6, 2013, 1:09:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hal9000
Advanced Member

Spain

Good! New things coming. dancing

I have a suggestion for the problem with the number of vertices. What if that contour calculation is done just once, when the shape is imported into the library or inserted inside the house, and stored then as cached additional data for the model? Or is this being done that way already?
If a long walk every day were healthy, mailmen would be immortal. tongue
[Oct 7, 2013, 9:11:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sajmmon

Poland

Q:

SVG editing has to be performed prior to importing a model? I need to create a library with the model and add its shape in FurnitureProperties, am I right?
[Oct 8, 2013, 9:04:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

You have always tried to keep the user interface as simple and intuitive as possible. [...] Asking users to define an SVG path, in my opinion, is far beyond the capabilities of most users.
I perfectly agree and that's why I propose two ways to get the cut out shape of a door: automatic from the 3D model or with a SVG path. Miserably, the automatic way has some limits that you may have not discovered and that the SVG path can fix. For example, if you try to import the Round door frame, you'll see that it won't work correctly because the frame is not closed at its bottom.

[...]I would be happy to time the speed difference between, say, 10K, 25K and 50K vertices.
Thanks for your nice proposal, but measuring this directly in the program is easier and more accurate. wink
In the example you provided, the time necessary to compute the contour of the 3D models it contains was the following:
t = 2 ms for 2604 vertices
t = 3 ms for 3429 vertices
t = 61 ms for 5984 vertices
t = 73 ms for 3873 vertices
t = 116 ms for 211656 vertices
t = 153 ms for 59268 vertices
t = 198 ms for 66311 vertices
t = 605 ms for 13080 vertices
t = 625 ms for 114630 vertices
As you can see, the more vertices a 3D model counts, the more time is necessary to compute its contour. But the 3D model with the largest vertices count is not the one that took the most time!
Anyway, I increased the max vertices count to 1 million in the current beta, but keep in mind that if you want to reduce this contour computing to 0 second, you can still specify the doorOrWindowCutOutShape property. I noted that there are still some problems with some round doors too, that I'll fix soon.

What if that contour calculation is done just once, when the shape is imported into the library or inserted inside the house, and stored then as cached additional data for the model?
I already introduced some kind of cache for cut out shapes. It's initialized at the first use of a model in a project or when the file is reopened. It could be improved by saving the cut out shape in files too, but I prefer not to have to program a SVG exporter for this at this moment.

Sajmmon, defining the SVG path for the cut out shape has to be specified with the new doorOrWindowCutOutShape# property that you can add for any door or window in the PluginFurnitureCatalog.properties file of a SH3F file. I might add the matching text field in the next version of the Furniture Library Editor if necessary.

By the way, the Beta 5 fixes also a bug that prevented to export to SVG under Java 7 / Linux. And thanks to JogAmp team, the beta can work with Java 7u40 under Mac OS X. Many thanks to Sven Gothel for the bugs he fixed recently. At the opposite, I removed support of Java Web Start under Java 6 / Mac OS X, because there's too many bugs that I fear Apple will never fix. Fortunately, these bugs don't happen with Java 6 when Sweet Home 3D is run from its .app bundle or its Jar executable file.
[Oct 8, 2013, 7:10:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Emmanuel,

Thanks for your testing and update 5.

I revisited the test models I used before, and they perform much better now.
However, I noted a difference between a model inserted at floor level, and a model inserted above floor level.
At floor level, several models still show a square opening at top. But, as soon as I give the model a slight elevation, the gaps are closed. Strangely enough, when inserting the same model again, SH3D seems to "know" the correct shape of the gap, and now inserts it correctly.

Well, if that's all, I can easily live with it.
It's a perfect feature that many people will appreciate.

Hans
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Oct 8, 2013, 7:44:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Fantastic. I notice some oddities (win8) that appear not to be functional (javastart issue?):
- undo / redo,
- drag-drop furniture (file or catalogue) in plan

As for the auto_guess cut_out shape, I am impressed. Preliminary testing shows even strange shapes ( http://advokatredet.no/design/xxxxx.zip ) are cut out correctly. So playing with SVG paths is not really a required skill (but it is not impossible, even if it requires some frustrating trying and failing - mostly failing - to begin with... :-) ).

ok
[Oct 9, 2013, 10:23:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

I might add the matching text field in the next version of the Furniture Library Editor if necessary.

Yes, please. Necessary I don't know, but it would be very nice. The more property fields that can be edited from Furniture Library Editor, the better, methinks. (However, I also appreciate the counter argument that it could make the Furniture Library Editor a bit overwhelming.)

ok
[Oct 9, 2013, 12:22:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 99   Pages: 10   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved