Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10523 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
burt777

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Layering or hiding or selective locking

GREAT job on this program! Absolutely love it, and now i want to make wheels on all my furniture, because i've found so many cool configurations of my room that i want to be able to change it as fast irl as in Sweet Home 3d! (-:

What would improve usability for me, would be the option to change the order of objects in the 2d view. I've had to add a bunch of boxes to complete the shape of the room, but i don't want to see them in the 2d view (after i've made them).

Also, the carpet i put under my dinner table obstructs the dinner table in 2d. This could be fixed if the objects would get an extra property (Z-index, like in html), in which objects could be sent to front and back. This would effectively allow one to hide objects as well in 2d (while keeping 3d) simply by moving them behind the base plan.

If objects would be stacked in order of the object list, that would be good too. The extra property would be better, but following the order of the list would at least give the user some control of what to show on top of what (and keep carpets _under_ tables ;-> )

While on the object list in the bottom left corner, i was pleased with the ability to give objects names, but surprised that this overrules the original model name. I'd plea for having them both: "This is a 'Box', i call it 'Step 1'". This way, i could choose to show all boxes together, or all objects i called Steps.

Just some open suggestions though, because i keep happily using SH3D without these features as well. (-:
[Oct 21, 2013, 11:58:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Layering or hiding or selective locking

Bart,

Objects are stacked in the order they are added to the design. If you add the rug last, it will be on top of the (coffee) table.

Workaround: copy all your stuff somewhere else, then copy the objects in the desired order to a new location and delete the old stuff.

Hans
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Oct 21, 2013, 6:27:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TRBuchholz

Deutschland

Hi, I gather from a remark somewhere in the help file that there might be a new way of stacking objects vertically in 2D view (e.g. chair above carpet) using a new parameter in v5.1. I can't find a specific reference to it yet. Can anyone point me to this? Many thanks. Great program smile
[Jan 17, 2016, 7:47:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

The furniture are stacked in draw order but also to elevation 0.
In real world, even a rug has a high (about 1~2cm).
Try this:
-put a chair (eg.Living room -> Armchair)
-put a rug over chair (eg.Living room -> Oriental rug)=> the rug hide the chair
-from furniture list on the left-bottom panel, select (double-click) the Armchair and modify the elevation from 0 to 1.5cm or 2cm
-verify the accuracy in 2D and 3D.
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[Jan 22, 2016, 8:03:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

TRBuchholz, there was no new way of stacking objects in version 5.1. Maybe you thought about the dropOnTopElevation property added in version 4.4, but this parameter is not accessible from the user interface.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jan 22, 2016, 12:10:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TRBuchholz

Deutschland

Many thanks Dorin for this suggestion; this is indeed what I did in the end. I thought that I had seen a mention of a different way. Something like the MS Office feature (move one level forward/back/to back/to front) would be good. Sadly I have no idea how to implement such a change :-( but I really appreciate the work of those who can and do :-)
[Jan 22, 2016, 7:11:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

You're welcome!
You're right when You have many furniture at the same elevation but different height.(eg. a dining table and few chairs which are partially under table). If You put the table first and then the chairs these will appear over the table; You must use this procedure:
select the table -> Ctrl+x -> Ctrl+v
=> the table will be shown over the chairs but also, in the furniture list will be moved to the end position.
Indeed it would be great to have the possibility to move up/down the selected furniture in the furniture list.
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[Jan 23, 2016, 11:36:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
burt777

Still, it would be awesome if it would be able to designate 2d and 3d layering seperately, or to hide certain objects in 2d or make them transparent.

For example: My living room has a part of ceiling that is lower than the rest. I can draw it by making a box hanging down from the ceiling, but it clogs up the 2d view; it's more part of the floor plan, and not furniture.

I know it sounds a bit far fetched and not a big deal... On the other hand, it would just be an extra parameter and it would allow you to do some nice things.
[Jan 24, 2016, 2:01:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

1 - Use Add layer at same elevation to separate 2D and 3D.
You can switch the layers on and off.

2 - Draw the lower ceiling as a room on a separate layer. Make the floor invisible.
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Jan 24, 2016, 6:08:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved