Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 22
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10510 times and has 21 replies Next Thread
Phoenix_Bedlam

UK
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Help!! How can I use textures as stained glass?

I've been using SH3D for about a week now (and LOVE it!), in the house design I'm doing, I have lots of fixed panel windows running internally throughout the house. I want to be able to use glass textures as stained glass feature windows in rooms, but when I go to change the Furniture.obj to the pattern I want, it just changes the frame of the fixed panel window and not the glass itself.

Is there a way to make the glass in the frame textured itself? Or is it going to have to be shrinking a box.obj down to .1 thickness and using that as a "glass fascia"?

Any input would be greatly received from more experienced users of this program.

Thanks from a noob biggrin
[Feb 22, 2014, 4:27:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: Help!! How can I use textures as stained glass?

Depends on the model you are using. Sent you an example. ok
[Feb 23, 2014, 1:49:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Phoenix_Bedlam

UK

Awesome....thanks very much for that, I've been using .1mm textures as a fascia, which is a bit fiddly :D
[Feb 24, 2014, 2:59:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Glad you liked them. Both textures were easily created with the Gimp. One based on a picture of a window in Catalunya (fake, made of foil), the other one just squares, colourised, tiled and flipped.

Put in a ticket in case someone else needs them:
https://sourceforge.net/p/sweethome3d/d-models/290/

ok
[Feb 25, 2014, 8:11:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Very nicely done okh smile
Thanks for sharing.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Feb 25, 2014, 8:30:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Phoenix_Bedlam

UK

Kudos on the share....now just to finish off (probably about another month or so solid work) and try and figure out how to do a 3D virtual tour.... :/ (and how light sources work as well! (Eek!)
[Feb 25, 2014, 12:09:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
condo

I have been fiddling with translucency for quite some time but with no success.
Could you please enlighten us how you created this semi-transparent glass?

I have imported your object into blender, discovered that the material is set to Z transparency but the values set make no sense to me. I have also played with semi transparent textures but to no avail, objects appear in SH3D either solid or transparent. Too bad PS Elements won't let me add an alpha channel.

I have made my own windows, that is not the problem. I want to create semi-transparent, translucent vertical blinds.
[Feb 27, 2014, 10:35:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

I have been fiddling with translucency for quite some time but with no success. Could you please enlighten us how you created this semi-transparent glass?
Both png textures were made semi transparent with the GIMP - one from a photo (perspective adjusted and cropped), the other one just from squares and GIMP effects. Same effect can be achieved with other image editors as well.

In addition, transparency was specified in the .mtl file as discussed in this thread: How to import model of a cabinet with transparent glass panel? Just adding transparency in the .mtl file means you do not have to figure out how to do it in Blender or AoI or whatever smile

ok

PS. I fear any advise I would give on how to do this in Blender would be more confusing than enlightening as I keep getting confused myself...
[Feb 28, 2014, 8:06:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

.. png textures were made semi transparent... + ..transparency was specified in the .mtl file ...
I should add that finding the right balance between png transparency and mtl transparency is tricky. Especially with several transparent layers (curtains, window pane, lamp) - and even more so for evening rendering. Some experimenting is needed for the right effect to work for you (and I suspect that a different graphics card could produce different effects).

I added semi-transparent curtains to the model in the Sourceforge ticket (second post) (sorry, didn't have vertical blinds in stock smile ).

Good luck - and consider sharing, I guess vertical blinds are quite common many places.

ok
[Feb 28, 2014, 10:17:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Vertical blinds
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Feb 28, 2014, 11:29:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved