Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6056 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
harbinger

US
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Room Elevation & Curved Boundaries

As an architectural hobbyist, i design a lot of houses that have sunken rooms, esp. with rounded step-downs. I love this program but this of course is a limitation.

I shouldn't have to create a new level that's only 6 or 12 inches tall for a sunken room. Workarounds are great if there's no other way.
I think though that if you give rooms another attribute - "floor elevation" - this might solve the problem more easily (well... not more easily for the programmer biggrin ).

However, this won't completely help my problem. I could create a "room" for the sunken part of a den, but often the steps are curved, so i would also need to have the option to define curves for room boundaries.

I hope this request makes your FREE application even better than what it is. I found it after window-shopping at the "Sourceforge Mall" biggrin and i had been using Gmax (which actually has TOO many features for my purposes). I've only sat down for one session withe SH3D after thoroughly reading the documentation, and there are a few things that can be improved but overall it's an absolute delight! wink
[Feb 27, 2014, 6:19:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: Room Elevation & Curved Boundaries

...sunken rooms
Not entirely sure how such a function could be easier than just creating a level. If you think about negative elevation for objects, this has been proposed but I had the impression that Puybaret has yet to be convinced ...
... steps are curved, ...option to define curves for room boundaries.
Curved steps / stairs can be defined in the Furniture Library Editor so they cut the floor (and ceiling) perfectly. This guide tries to explain how.
...it's an absolute delight! wink
What impresses me the most after 9 months of amateur use, is how every constructional challenge finds a solution in SH3d (or at the very least a workaround) - usually described somewhere in the FAQ or the forum. And given the ease of use, that is quite remarkable.

ok
[Feb 28, 2014, 7:40:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

... steps are curved

check out this file
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Feb 28, 2014, 12:27:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
harbinger

US

Actually I found a pretty decent workaround that takes care of sunken rooms. I still hate to have to create a false level, but I found it very easy to create floors once I realized more of SH3D's features (esp. creating a room by double-clicking in an enclosed area). The more I use this software, the more i'm loving it!

But there's one thing I definitely need...
[Mar 2, 2014, 7:12:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved