Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6521 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Xiste
Advanced Member

Norway
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Version 4.3.1 issues

Hi,

I just upgraded my free version to a paid version in the App Store, and has experienced some problems that I think people should be aware of and warned about before purchasing.

Worst problem: All my libraries from the former version, was lost. Completely lost. The files are no longer retrievable. There were hundreds of .obj files of my own creation. Some of the files, the few ones I still have on my computer, will not load in the new version unless I zip them first.

Next problem: Display 3D in separate window, does no longer work.
First of all, when displayed on another monitor, the 3D-view window jumps back to the main screen the minute I touch it.
Secondly: It behaves erratically and produces strange patterns, and it updates noticeably slower that on the free version.

Last problem: The 4.3.1 is very slow! Compared with the free version, it's like having poured a can of syrup in the system.

Please consider publishing a warning about this.
I have not yet tried to go back to the former version, as I am not sure if the older versions can load files created with 4.3.1. Would be nice if it could.

Part from this: I love the program.

I work on an iMac 27" with an extra 27" Led Cinema Display,running OSX 10.9.2. This configuration works perfectly with the free version of SH3D.
[Apr 18, 2014, 11:10:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Version 4.3.1 issues

Thanks for upgrading to the Mac App Store version.

All my libraries from the former version, was lost.
Nothing is lost, it's just that Apple forced developers to store the preferences and the imported furniture / textures in an other folder (maybe you heard about sandboxing).
If you want to copy this data from the free version to the Mac App Store version, please follow these instructions (note that the furniture you already imported in the Mac App Store version will be lost if you follow them):
- quit Sweet Home 3D
- in the Finder, select the Go > Go To Folder... menu item
- type (or copy/paste) the folder ~/Library/Application Support/eTeks/Sweet Home 3D where the data of the free version is stored
- open a new Finder window and select again the Go > Go To Folder... menu item
- this time, type the folder ~/Library/Containers/com.eteks.sweethome3d.SweetHome3D/Data/Library/Application Support/eTeks/Sweet Home 3D where the data of the Mac App Store version is stored
- copy/paste all the files and folders found in the folder ~/Library/Application Support/eTeks/Sweet Home 3D to the folder ~/Library/Containers/com.eteks.sweethome3d.SweetHome3D/Data/Library/Application Support/eTeks/Sweet Home 3D
- run Sweet Home 3D again.

Some of the files, the few ones I still have on my computer, will not load in the new version unless I zip them first.
Yes, the Mac App Store version will let you import only zip files, because the f@$!#ing sandboxing forbids programs to load files that depend from the file selected by the user (like MTL and textures images).
This particular case is a good example of the limitation of sandboxing: it makes programs available in the Mac App Store more secure, but may remove some freedom to programmers and at the end, to users.

Display 3D in separate window, does no longer work
I spent a lot of time trying to fix various issues for the management of the 3D view in a separated window, and I didn't notice some issue during my tests about this.
There should be no special reason why the program runs slower too, and it didn't on my own Mac. I don't like to accuse others, but I suspect that Apple released in emergency OSX 10.9.2 because of the goto fail issue that needed to be fixed, whereas there were still some issues in graphics card drivers they were updating. Please be patient until the release of version of OSX 10.9.3. I hope also that future versions of Oracle Java (the version used by Sweet Home 3D Mac App Store version) will run better and better (there are a few small bugs that need to be fixed compared to Apple Java used by the free version of Sweet Home 3D, but it's not bound to the 3D view).
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Apr 19, 2014, 1:11:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Xiste
Advanced Member

Norway

Thank you for this rapid answer.
All my old obj-files are there. That was a relief.

I am a composer,not a programmer, so I'm more familiar with beatboxing than with sandboxing, but I understand it's causing problems. So I shall be patient and await my salvation :)

After I wrote my last message, I tried the BETA-version 4.4, and experienced the same problems with using two displays (which really is the best way to work with this program), and found that it was behaving just as slow as the 4.3.1-version.

I have now risked downloading and re-installing the free version 4.3, and it immediately found all my "lost" files. So I will continue using this version. The reason I purchased the program from the App Store, was really just because I wanted to pay for using this great program. Next time I feel the urge to pay, I shall try the DONATE-button :)
[Apr 19, 2014, 4:21:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

The beta version and Mac App Store version both use Oracle Java 7 and Java 3D 1.6.
The free version 4.3 uses Apple Java 6 and Java 3D 1.5.2. On my computer, I don't see any real performance difference between these versions. Do you feel like it runs better with the free version 4.3 in your case?
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Apr 20, 2014, 12:27:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Xiste
Advanced Member

Norway

Hi. Sorry for being unresponsive. I only noticed your question now.

I have "solved" the problem, which really was a problem with my own synapses. I had forgotten to increase the memory usage in the info.plist file, and after increasing the value from 1024 to 8192 – voila!

While I'm at it :
I have experimented with using solid green/blue background textures in order to create a green/blue-screen effect for chroma keying. There is however a small problem, and that is the horizon, which appears as a shades black horizontal line after rendering, even if the sky and the ground holds exactly the same texture.

And – a good way to update the furniture libraries, would be to allow importing object from opened projects.

I have updated the paid version from App Store, and it now works perfectly with two displays.
[Mar 12, 2015, 11:16:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved