Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4043 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
Ferraro

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
2 Wishes. Could be simple, not sure.

After a few months of experimentation, I am starting to really enjoy this software. Thanks Mr. Puybaret for making the 2D to 3D floor plan concept a reality. I hope this suggestion is considerable, as these are the only two things that are bothersome to me so far.

1. I wish there was a scalable#1=false method that I could add as an attribute to objects in my properties file. Sometimes I want objects to have an absolute dimension that can not be scaled by an end user. Essentially a disable scaling option for imported objects.

2. I wish that the centerline in the wall geometry did not export to the .obj file. I understand that the centerline is needed to create the walls, but when I export to .obj it creates an exponential amount of unnecessary faces that I find myself doing a lot of manual work to remove.

That's pretty much it. The rest of the issues I have encountered using this software I have been able to work out with the help of users in this forum. Thanks.
[May 2, 2014, 6:06:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: 2 Wishes. Could be simple, not sure.

1. I wish there was a scalable#1=false method that I could add as an attribute to objects in my properties file. Sometimes I want objects to have an absolute dimension that can not be scaled by an end user. Essentially a disable scaling option for imported objects.
There's already a resizable# boolean property that prevents the user to resize a piece, and there's also deformable# boolean property that obliges an object to be resized along all dimensions.

2. I wish that the centerline in the wall geometry did not export to the .obj file. I understand that the centerline is needed to create the walls, but when I export to .obj it creates an exponential amount of unnecessary faces that I find myself doing a lot of manual work to remove.
A wall is divided into parts to let the user be able painting its top part and its both sides with different colors. The only thing I could do is simplifying the wall shape when it uses only one color, but I don't think it's worth it.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[May 2, 2014, 10:09:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ferraro

Re: 2 Wishes. Could be simple, not sure.

Awesome, so wish number 1. is a non-issue, I tried resizable# and it worked perfectly, thanks!

I am using Sweet Home to very quickly build 3d environments for a simple game engine were I can then run around the space in real time. So the extra faces can almost double my polygon count, reducing real time rendering performance. It usually becomes a problem on larger files. I have tried some clean-up optimizer plug-ins, but they still ruin a lot of faces and don't handle face collisions so well, leaving quite a bit of work to finally clean up. I do believe you have the very best, most efficient software for building 3d walls available; which is why I have adopted it for all my wall layout.

I really like your idea of simplifying wall geometry when one color is used (I always go with default wall white anyway) I would be willing to donate to the cause for reduced wall geometry. If any else agree, perhaps we can make it worth it? :)

Anyway, thanks for your response. I got all my non-scaleable objects set up.
[May 4, 2014, 3:39:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved