Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5045 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
Desslok

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
angry Disenchantment

Well, I hate to say it, but I am rapidly becoming more and more disenchanted with the Sweethome3d program. I have 3 computers and have been fighting to get the program to run properly on even one of them.
Computer One: An old Dell GX270 running Windows XP Pro. Two years ago, I installed the program and it ran just fine (a few bugs - no copy and paste function - but I was able to render out some nice pics). Then I uninstalled it a year ago. Recently reinstalled it, but now it won't even start up.
Computer Two: A Dell Inspiron Laptop. Also older, running Windows Vista. The program loads and runs, but is god-awful slow. It's literally taking me about 4 to 5 days to render out a single image. And that's when it doesn't simply abort and dump everything after 4 days of rendering. After waiting 4 freaking days to see the finished image, seeing the render screen go blank...arrrgggghhhh! And as far as animations go, Half of the objects in my scene are blinking in and out of existance in the finished animations which is very frustrating.
Computer Three: A Dell Dimension 8400 also running Windows XP Pro. Yes another older computer, but newer than the other two and more powerful with more resources. Problem. The program either refuses to start up. I finally have to use the Java Web Start. Even then, 3 out of every 4 times, I get an error message saying to update my video card drivers. Impossible since I have the newest drivers now. Then it tells me to download and install directx. Been there, done that. On about every 4th attempt the program actually loads. I can render still images (although still very slow), but video animations are out of the question. My video card either goes into convulsions constantly resetting itself until finally my screen goes completely black forcing me to reboot. Or the render process starts but never actually produces any frames. Or...the render process starts and produces frames but then freezes about mid-way through the procedure. End result - no animation.
Between all three computers, over the span of the last 3 weeks, I've been able to produce 1 still image, and 1 animation with multiple glitches. This is unacceptable.
I am just about at the point of ceasing to use Sweethome3d for anything but floor plans and then exporting them in object format and doing all my rendering in Blender. I hate this option because I love the ease and simplicity of the program, and when it works it does produce lovely images.

Not really expecting any solutions here. Just venting. angry
[Sep 26, 2014, 2:22:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: Disenchantment

Nothing as frustrating and when things do not work. But a thought: XP support came to an end in April. How about trying a Linux variety on one computer?

For reasons known but to MS, my old laptop become so slow under XP that it is totally useless (lots of direct X issues too). Booted under Linux, though, speed is the same as when it came out of the box.

Or, of course, treat yourself to something new smile I have installed SH3D on several computers over the last year (Win 7/8), and never experienced any trouble.

ok
[Sep 26, 2014, 7:32:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

I understand your frustration, but it seems you had bad luck. Nevertheless, from the examples you posted here and here, you still succeeded to use Sweet Home 3D quite well in the past. But maybe it was with an other computer...
If one of your computers runs under Windows 64 bit (or you're able to upgrade it), try to increase the max memory used by the program. This is the first difference with the Java Web Start version which requests more max memory under 64 bit system (see About dialog box to see the max memory value). The other difference is that Java Web Start version runs with the Java version you installed on your system (probably Java 7 or 8), whereas I still deliver the installer version with Java 6. Maybe, it's time that I switch to Java 7 in the installer version now, since I didn't have any bug report since I tried to fix the blank 3D view bug.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Sep 26, 2014, 9:12:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sree.arun.kr
Advanced Member

INDIA

Hey friend, biggrin
I don't understand your problem but my bad mind says you are running with a slower system which has either single core processor or lower clock speed is your problem. So next time when you upgrade or buy a new one consult a good dealer or discuss with your friend. cowboy
Don't forget to compare the features that meet your budget.
Processor : Number of cores used, Clock speed, L2 cache.
RAM : DDR type(DDR3 or latest), amount of memory, clock speed.
Graphic Card : GDR type(GDR5 or latest),Amount of memory, Clock speed, shader model.
Hard disk : Capacity, Clock speed and Cache Memory. hugs
----------------------------------------

[Sep 26, 2014, 7:12:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Desslok

USA

Update:
Yes, I have used Sweethome3d successfully in the past and I haven't given up on it yet. I am fishing about now for a replacement video card for the Dell Dimension. I also considered that perhaps I was stretching the program a bit too much as far as complexity of the SW3d file was concerned. My Enterprise build in intirety now stands at over 60 mgb. So, I decided on a 3 pronged approach. First, I made a back up copy of the file. Then I went in and removed ALL of the custom furniture and the lights. Then with just the floor, ceiling and bulkheads, I will finished the deck. That will ultimately be saved as a seperate file. Then, I will begin filling it up with the furniture. Every room, every corridor, until it is fully decorated. But I will not attempt to render anything from that. Then I will save that as Enterprise Full or something like that. Then I will delete everything except the sickbay and the immediate surrounding corridor. With what's left, I will place lights and render. I will also export as an Obj file to see what I can do with it in Blender. Save that as Sickbay.sh3d. Do the same for the Transporter room, crew cabins, breifing rooms, main engineering etc. I'll end up with about a dozen or so seperate files, but should be able to render more efficiently. I just won't be able to render anymore overhead God's Eye views of the entire deck 7 build. I've already got started and noticed an immediate improvement in rendering time. I spit out a 1600x900 pic on the laptop at the highest settings in about 14 hours. That beat 5 days.
biggrin
[Sep 27, 2014, 1:34:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

If the source of the problem primarily is the 60 MB file, you could consider purging the biggest models, e.g. by:

1) Save and compress your file
2) Make a copy
3) Rename the copy to .zip
4) Open the .zip and search for all files
5) Sort the search results by size

Then go back to the original and remove the items that are disproportionately big first (make yet another copy) - and possibly find alternative models for the big ones. ok
[Sep 27, 2014, 9:06:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved