Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 35
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 67917 times and has 34 replies Next Thread
mliberatore

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Tiny display in Win 8.1

I successfully installed Sweet Home 3d on my new Surface Pro 3 tablet (Win 8.1). When SH3D is launched, the entire application displays with very small text. Also, the furniture pallet is squished together and unreadable. Is there a propertied file somewhere that controls this behavior that I can modify?

Sorry, I couldn't attach the screen grab image. I got a pop up with a URL rather than a browser for a file. Won't let me paste into the message body either.
[Oct 7, 2014, 10:16:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mliberatore

USA
Re: Tiny display in Win 8.1

I found an article on Windows 8.1 that describes the problem almost exactly. Apparently Windows applies scaling to certain programs automatically. This is exactly what's happening. The text from one line is enlarged to overlap the next, rendering all lines unreadable.

Their instructions were to go to the properties of the executable and select the compatibility tab. Then toggle the option "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". I tried it but it didn't fix the issue. In every available resolution setting for my screen, all the way down to 1024 x 768, the display of Sweet Home 3D is exactly the same. The application is simply unusable.
[Oct 9, 2014, 1:07:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

This does not happen on the Asus Transformer Book T100, also a Win 8.1 tablet, albeit with a different hardware configuration, see thread 5137 about the Asus. And has not happened on other Win 7 / 8 / 8.1 PCs I have tried.

But there have been some issues with the Surface Pro see thread 4140 and thread 4225. Maybe there are other Surface Pro users who could shed light on the mysteries of this (until now, appealing) little machine?

ok
[Oct 9, 2014, 3:08:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mliberatore

USA

Sorry. I have really tried to make this work. Uninstalling the Microsoft certified drivers and installing the Intel drivers was a pain. Did nothing for this problem. Uninstalled and used generic Microsoft drivers. Same issue. Took a wide detour and installed Hyper-V and Windows 7. Unable to make it run at all there. Still appears dependent on the host OS somehow.
The best I can determine is there is a problem with either Direct-X or Open-GL that is causing this problem. By the way, it does the same thing with the online version of SH3D. Simply can't use the product at all. Very disappointing. I can get other floor plan software to run, but I prefer SH3D, if it would only display in a usable way.
[Oct 29, 2014, 1:46:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Forcing Java Metal Look and Feel should help, because it lets you choose the font size of a Java application.

To test this solution, run notepad.exe or another text editor, copy the following text (possibly changing the 30 number by a different size)

-Dswing.defaultlaf=javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookAndFeel
-Dswing.plaf.metal.controlFont=Dialog-30
-Dswing.plaf.metal.userFont=SansSerif-30
-Dswing.plaf.metal.systemFont=SansSerif-30

and save it in a file named SweetHome3D.l4j.ini (pay caution to the .ini extension) in the folder where Sweet Home 3D is installed (probably C:\Program Files\Sweet Home 3D). If you can't save it in this folder because of restricted access, save it on your desktop then move it in Sweet Home 3D installation folder afterwards. Once done, restart Sweet Home 3D.
Please, tell us which size works the best because it could interest other users.

[Note: I updated the size to 30 from following user comments. Thanks for your feedback!]
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Puybaret at Oct 8, 2015, 10:01:00 AM]
[Jul 20, 2015, 11:39:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mliberatore

USA

Thank you all for trying to help. None of the above helped. After installing version 5 today, at least the overlapping issue is resolved. The application is now usable on low resolution settings or a big screen. It appears, as I suspected, to have been related to the version of Java. The former version was very old. I have also upgraded to Windows 10. The display is still very small on my Surface Pro 3, and there is no preference in the application to set the font size of the app itself. That's really an oversight and I'll submit a feature request. Thank you all again!
[Jul 30, 2015, 2:37:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mliberatore

USA

Actually, I retried Puybaret's fix above and it works now! It didn't make any difference at all before, but I am now able to set the text size to 30 and it is perfect! Thank you so much!
[Jul 30, 2015, 2:49:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
miekemook

I am having the same problem with Windows 10.
Made the text file as suggested by Puybaret but I cannot find the ini file in the C:\programfiles\sweethome 3D file.
Any other suggestion?
[Aug 6, 2015, 8:50:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

The ini file doesn't exist. It's up to you to create it if you need one.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Aug 6, 2015, 11:52:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
miekemook

I use Windows 10 and have exact the same problem. I made the text file but cannot find the ini file as is described?
What else can be done or how can the ini file be missing?
[Aug 7, 2015, 4:59:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved