Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 11
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10541 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
KenK

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Trying to add recessed cut-out (niche) in shower wall

Hi Everyone,

I making a drawing of a bathroom for a remodel project and want to add a recessed cut-out or niche in the shower wall.

I have already searched the forum and cannot find anything that explains how to do this. I did see a post from someone a few years ago who used the service hatch, but this does not create only a cut-out, but rather puts a complete hole in the wall. Obviously not something that helps me accomplish what I'm trying to do at all. Also, I have attempted to use the invisible box that was mentioned previously, but this also adds a complete hole in the wall. These are so common in bathrooms for the past several years, I cannot imagine nobody else would have found something like this useful.

Does anyone know how this can be achieved?

Thank you!
[Feb 17, 2015, 9:12:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Trying to add recessed cut-out (niche) in shower wall

You can use the service hatch if you insert it using the arrow keys on the keyboard.
You could also use an invisible box that you import as a door/window.
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Feb 17, 2015, 10:31:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KenK

You can use the service hatch if you insert it using the arrow keys on the keyboard.
You could also use an invisible box that you import as a door/window.

Hello,

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I have tried both methods you have mentioned, but unfortunately, they didn't make any difference to what I had attempted previously.

Adding the service hatch with either the mouse or arrow keys provides the same results - a hole through the entire wall.

And as I had mentioned in my original post, if I import the "invisible box" as a door/window, it also is very much "visible" as a complete hole through both sides of the wall. If it was only visible on one side, it would be perfect, but regretfully this is not the case.
[Feb 18, 2015, 2:21:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
digitaltrails

New Zealand

As suggested use a service hatch. Double click on the service hatch, reduce its depth, click OK. Shift the hatches position using the arrow keys. Repeat adjustments until the desired result is achieved.
[Feb 18, 2015, 6:57:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
slimpy

Place the service hatch in front of the wall, not touching it.
Then proceed as described previously: Move the hatch to its final position using the arrow keys.
If you place the hatch on the wall using the mouse it will adjust its depth to the thickness of the wall automatically and you will have a hole through the wall instead of a niche.

Best, slimpy
[Feb 18, 2015, 8:13:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

How about a double wall - wouldn't that be easier?

In my house, the cut-out (niche) in the shower wall, is basically a niche in the extra wall that covers the plumbing. Therefore, logically, I used two parallel walls next to each other and placed the service hatch in the inner wall. That way no fine adjustment is needed.

ok
[Feb 18, 2015, 2:50:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KenK

How about a double wall - wouldn't that be easier?

In my house, the cut-out (niche) in the shower wall, is basically a niche in the extra wall that covers the plumbing. Therefore, logically, I used two parallel walls next to each other and placed the service hatch in the inner wall. That way no fine adjustment is needed.

ok

That's what finally worked for me. I added an additional wall and as you wrote, the service hatch is only visible in the interior wall.

Thank you all who replied.
[Feb 18, 2015, 11:28:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Manaus

Italia

I'm sorry, but both the service Hatch and the invisible box, moving them with the arrows, do not create a niche, but they always pierce the whole wall, why? What do you have to do? I need a niche. Thank you.
[Dec 29, 2018, 4:29:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Manaus

Italia

I found it alone! Just rotate Service Hatch 90 ° and its position does not "pit" the whole wall but creates only a niche !!!! ;)
[Dec 30, 2018, 7:28:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Xiste
Advanced Member

Norway

Some "enhancements" are not really enhancements at all, but there are so many other new features end enhancements added that this slight inconvenience is hardly mentionable :)

Xiste
[Dec 30, 2018, 9:20:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved