Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 11
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10592 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
Desslok

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Linux verses Windows versions

Hello,
I have my main computers set up to dual boot between Windows and Ubuntu Linux. I have Sweethome3d installed on both sides. However, the Windows side apparently has a newer version of the program than the Linux side. Whenever I create a file under Windows, then reboot into Ubuntu and try to load it, I get a warning message saying something to the effect of "This file was created with a newer version of the program. Any new data will be lost"
My question is, what data specifically will be lost. There are things about Linux that I prefer to Windows and would like to be able render my final pics under that OS (the rendering times are much better) but I'm worried that something may not work correctly if I do so. My new laptop (multi core processors) outperforms my tower system massively but it only has Linux installed. (I actually have Windows 8.1 pro on one drive - but it is not activated and I don't have the product code - result neither Blender nor Sweethome3d will work due to the invisible watermark blocking access to the menus.) So I have to use Linux on that computer. I did some test renderings and the performance blew my socks off. But that warning worries me. I want to export the entire file to object format and then import it into Blender to render a full animation. Any suggestions or tips?
[Feb 21, 2015, 6:17:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Linux verses Windows versions

Install the same version on both sides? Or is that too simple?

H
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Feb 21, 2015, 6:43:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
digitaltrails

New Zealand

I assume you've used a Linux version of SweetHome3D from a Linux distribution repository and it's older than then latest available from this site.

Because the SweetHome3D made available from this site comes with it's own Java Runtime Environment, it is likely to run out of the box on your Linux platform without any special configuration. At any rate, you can install it in a different location, say /usr/local/SweetHome3D or your own home directory, and have the existing Linux version and the latest version on the same machine.

I'm running Linux and I haven't had any issues with the running the latest versions from http://www.sweethome3d.com/.

As with all these things - back up your important work before trying something new.
[Feb 21, 2015, 7:19:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Desslok

USA

Thank you for your help. I have downloaded the newest version of SH3d for Linux. I just have to figure out now how to install it. When I click the program icon, I just get a text file. I'm new to Linux and am still learning. Give me time. Thanks again.
[Feb 24, 2015, 7:50:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Desslok

USA

Okay....

I just spent two and a half hours today reading through on-line tutorials about how to update Sweethome3d in Linux. I've got 4.3 installed from the Ubuntu software repository. I've downloaded 4.6. I've followed the instructions from several different sites (to the letter) and still have not been able to make it run properly. I did get the program up and running by launching it from the command line terminal, but I'd hate to have to do it that way everytime. Why does Linux have to make this so complicated? I've heard for years about how superior Linux is to Windows and how streamlined and simple it is, yet everytime I try to do something like this I hit a brick wall. At least installing the current version is simple in Windows despite it's other problems. Jeeze. I think I'll just make do with the older version until somebody at the Linux repository gets off their duff and updates their files. sad
[Feb 24, 2015, 7:57:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Under Ubuntu you don't have to install SH3D. Just unzip the file you have downloaded and double click the program icon in the directory. That's all.

Right click the start icon, select Properties and under Permissions change the setting so that the file is allowed to run as a program.

You can give the directory any name you want. Personally, I always include the version number.
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Feb 24, 2015, 8:31:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Desslok

USA

I tried that. When I double click the 'Sweethome3d' icon, nothing happens. The drive reads for a second then nothing. I right clicked and checked the permissions and it's already clicked for 'run as program'. I even deleted the whole thing, redownloaded the program and unzipped it again. The same. Maybe I'm just a moron but I can't seem to figure this out. This is a 64 bit laptop and I know I downloaded the 64 bit version of the program.
[Feb 25, 2015, 12:17:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

I experience this issue in recent version of Ubuntu and I have to find a solution to make it more handy. At the moment, one of the workaround is to open a Terminal window, then drag and drop SweetHom3D icon in the Terminal window and press enter to validate the command.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Feb 25, 2015, 12:10:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Here's an other easier way to run SweetHome3D script in Ubuntu 14.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Feb 25, 2015, 4:26:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Desslok

USA

Thank you. I followed your link, followed the instructions and guess what? It worked! Hallalujah! You have definitely earned your Expert status sir. I am in your debt.
[Feb 25, 2015, 5:00:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved