Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 37
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 56860 times and has 36 replies Next Thread
Raysab

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Shipping container homes & solar panels

Hi People,

Love this Program but complete newbie. Maybe you can help me find some textures (wall) and furniture (object?) related to shipping containers building and solar panels.

Here’s some exemple of the matter:
Container homes

I need to render with metallic container look texture walls. I also need to integrate typical containers doors and add (sloppy) solar panels and wind mills to the assembly.

Should someone have a hint about this matter, your help will be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, please consider this as a request for smart developers ;)

Standard shipping containers measurements and details can be found everywhere on the net, here’s one exemple: Container details

Many thanks and keep the good work going.
[Mar 21, 2015, 8:44:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: Shipping container homes & solar panels

Guess you can find all that searching for container textures - and for models for wind turbines and photovoltaic solar/panels. You may also want to have a look at thread 4199. ok
[Mar 24, 2015, 10:37:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Raysab

Wow, thanks Okh, I guess I missed key words in my search.
I went to do some photos of containers in my area in order to create some texture on my own. I succeeded having very nice picts and tried them as texture in SH3D but rendering was unconvincing. I guess there’s some resizing and format one need to apply before getting some good results ?
Thanks again.
[Mar 25, 2015, 8:14:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Yup, the resizing and orientation you need to figure out for yourself... smile

A couple of hints:

For the textures, either make it the same proportion as the surface, and import with same measurements as the surface - or more professionally, spend some time with a graphics editor and make a small seamless tile. Low resolution will usually do nicely e.g. 256x256 px or less for seamless.

As for the rotation of the solar panels, remember you can rotate the object by single degrees by pressing SHIFT when importing. That way you can get the panels correctly angled towards the sun - whichever latitude you may want to use for construction.

Best of luck!

ok
[Mar 25, 2015, 10:11:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Raysab

Thanks again Okh, I’m working on it :)

Another question if I may: is there a dedicated space in this forum, or in another place (Blog ?) where users display their SH3D work and share their findings ? This would be a very useful and nice place to discover the possibilities of this awesome program.
[Mar 26, 2015, 10:08:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

If you look around the site/facebook page you will find some. The forum gallery may be the best place to start. ok
[Mar 26, 2015, 10:32:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Made me think, maybe not possible or a good idea (see thread 5794 - the below is one single very quick mock-up colourised. Small file sizes (500 bytes, 32x256 px - texture height should be set equal to wall/container height in SH3D). ok

SF 3D models 351:

[Mar 27, 2015, 7:27:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Raysab

That GREAT :)
Now I understand what you mean by “tiles” :)
I’ll apply this to my drawings and will share it here.
Many thanks.
[Mar 27, 2015, 5:41:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Raysab

Hi Okh,

I used your container textures for this project, the rendering is perfect when sticking to container measurements. Thanks again for your help. I attached a picture of my first sketch which might appear a bit awkward but it is a real-life project about a bio-farm to be implemented in Equatorial Africa.
Now I’m studying the way to build a multiple sloped roof made of solar panels on top the wooden carpentry structure I designed and destined to funnel, at the same time, heavy rain falls into the central “tube” in the middle of the plan (see picts).
I will get back with more, when possible.
My deep gratitude for your help and to this Forum.
Ray

PS: Oups sad I just noticed that I can’t just drop a pict here. Ok, I’ll work it out and see how to share my work here.
[Mar 30, 2015, 12:03:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Please see this message for suggestions about adding images.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Apr 1, 2015, 7:02:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved