Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 37
Posts: 37   Pages: 4   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 56766 times and has 36 replies Next Thread
Raysab

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Shipping container homes & solar panels

Thanks for the tips. Here are the missing images I wanted to share with Okh regarding the container texture issue. As one can see, doors still work in progress :) I took some pictures of real ones then tried to resize in order to fit the drawing. Coloring is also to be worked on.

Now I have to draw this complicated multiple slopes roof covered with solar panels and funnelling rain water into the central tube seen on the first floor image. This big tube is linked to an underground mini hydro-turbine to produce electricity, before getting to another underground water storage.

This “technical” bio-farm project is to be located in an equatorial area of the Globe (I can't reveal the exact location for now) and must work totally off-grid, meaning generate all its energy needs. The present building is just the “administrative" unit.

Many tanks again for all your help.
[Apr 2, 2015, 12:03:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
VeroniQ
Advanced Member

France

About Shipping container, watch this interesting new video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C2d3z0t67k smile
[Apr 3, 2015, 5:06:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Raysab

Thx VeroniQ, I’ve seen this video already, very nice job indeed :)

I’m still in the early stages of learning SH3D functions and possibilities and it would take me sometimes to master the 3D video production. As for now, I’m trying to apply my ideas in designing container building which is the main goal for learning this beautiful program.

Here’s more of what I’m doing right now, it is built out of 4 x 40’ HC + 1 x 20’ containers:

You might be interested to have a glimpse on actual real container home building :)

And there’s much more to see here (my fav is #6)
[Apr 3, 2015, 7:28:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Very interesting project. Please, keep sharing.

ok

(Can you really generate any worthwhile energy from the rainwater + mini hydro-turbine?)
[Apr 6, 2015, 1:40:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Raysab

Thx Okh, I’ll do.

To answer your question: no, a mini-turbine out of rainfalls is not viable alone. However, the location is extremely wet 8 months/year and the roof is covered with Solar panels which would complete the turbine provision. But this is only for modest back up batteries. The main power source would come from a little but sufficient dam build on a nearby river, plus a good large wind mill fixed on a telecommunication tower. The whole built units are very frugal in term of Kw consumption. The hungriest appliances are the fridge, TV and computers. Temperature control inside the habitable containers (left and right) is provided by a well deployed geothermal system. For this, we use a small but powerful air or liquid pump which doesn’t require much power.

Does it make sens ?
[Apr 6, 2015, 3:09:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Thanks. Yes, that makes sense. As you are in an equatorial area I guess your kind of temperature control is different from my off-grid needs (Northern Europe, 975 m above sea level), but I am planning on testing reversible air collector: Heats air significantly in a panel, reverses the fan and sucks cold air from the shade for cooling. Even if this must be supplemented by wood-burning stoves in the cold season, apparently the effect is significant. Some tests indicate a panel air temperature increases of 20-35 deg C, in addition to reducing humidity. Or an effect of up to 750 W pr sq m of panel (as opposed to photovoltaic 200-250 W/sq m)). But best of all, the air collectors are very simple constructions.

Anyway, appreciate your updates. ok
[Apr 6, 2015, 5:16:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Raysab

Niiice :) I’m glad there’s someone like you interested in off-grid building and I hope there’s many others in this Forum. Maybe is there a thread for it ? This would help implement new “obj”, textures and material in SH3D, just a thought.

As for your point on thermal issue, you need to know that I’m a Canadian (Québec) and face the same in my home country. There’s a large citizen movment toward off-grid endeavors and they are experimenting some very serious solutions. If you wish, I can send you some links. I know also a lot of people involved in the same field in Germany and France and producing some very convincing results. But I guess you know all that.
[Apr 8, 2015, 3:51:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

I for one would be interested in any experience with off-grid systems (so yes, please send links). In general, energy supply is not as robust as one might think. A very cold, windless winter in Europe, combined with dismantling nuclear and unreliable supplies of fossil fuel, could be a challenge and maybe a lesson much needed. But with emergence of new solutions, some very cool alternatives are available for any on or off grid construction.

My primary interest now, however, is a small cabin > 5km from grid and no motorised access. It works well already with wood, candles and water from a stream (if not exactly family friendly). But development in LED, battery technology, photovoltaic, sun thermal collectors, etc. over the last couple of years means modern comforts can be made available off-grid. E.g:
  • Small photovoltaic system, 50w panel, 100 Ah battery capacity.
    (for 8 LED lamps + radio + charging mobile/gps)
  • Small power generator for topping battery and use of tools/water pump.
  • Additional self contained solar lamps for exterior lights.
  • Solar thermal collector (air) to raise base indoor temperature, improve ventilation and reduce humidity/condensation.
  • Hot water coil in wood-burner to provide for long, hot showers.
  • Cooking on gas (minimal consumption) will be kept.
The modest capacity is just a result of every component having to be carried several km in steep and rugged terrain. I have abandoned a few ideas that could be good elsewhere:
  • Wind turbines (too noisy, relatively low output, too many moving parts and bad for bats/birds).
  • Pico hydro systems (stream too far away, components too heavy, too much maintenance, frost proofing).
  • Water tank heating from solar collector in combination with wood stoves even if there are some very good maritime and residential solutions available (too complicated, requires frost proofing, constant electricity for pumps).
  • Roof water collection (requires frost proof tank, filtering system and a new roof...).
  • A mobile phone (gsm) controlled gas/paraffin stove to pre-heat the cabin before arrival (feel uneasy about starting an oven without knowing whether a bird has snuck in the chimney and built a nest on top of the stove, and I dislike carrying gas/paraffin).
  • Heat pump, also for refrigeration (too complicated/heavy and using snow or cold stream water is usually sufficient).
The main challenge is actually sewerage/septic. Solutions exist, but I would prefer a flushing toilet (e.g. marine style), but environmental requirements makes it almost impossible to create a legal, composting septic system. Even so, the bottom line is that, yes, it is possible to create a comfortable living environment with pretty simple technologies.

So, any experience with this, please share. I may be biased, but I think these topics are relevant in this forum; the changes in the way we use energy and how it is supplied, also has a high impact on how we design our living space. And what better tool to start sketching than SH3D. There are threads touching upon such issues, but dedicated threads (probably in SH3D forum Bar) would be welcome (for me, anyway).

ok

SH3D used for planning
[Apr 9, 2015, 9:28:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Instead of moving further off topic, I started a thread with some elaboration of the above thoughts in the Forum bar: Off grid solutions (5826). ok
[Apr 9, 2015, 11:05:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Raysab

Excellent move okh I’ll follow you there :)
[Apr 9, 2015, 10:16:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 37   Pages: 4   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved