Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 16
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 28009 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
9NAT

Thailand
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
smile Port SH3D to Android

Thanks a lot for you all
it would be great if you can develop a viewer for android. That's Amazing idea.

Credit

clanmills

However, all is not lost. I'm working on "ToWebPlugin". This will make it easy to generate web galleries of images and floor plans and that will work with the browser on Android, iOS and the Desktop. ToWebPlugin

Although this doesn't enable you to render the SH3D model, it will enable you to share content on the web for viewing on mobile (and desktop) devices.

clanmills
England

I've found a way to view models on Mobile Devices. Download the MeshLab viewer. This can render .obj files. I've put a model of my home on this page:

http://clanmills.com/2014/20152/

There are two versions of the model (with and without furniture).

On Android, I was able to load SGy.zip. Unzip it and open SGy/SGy.obj with MeshLab. I was a little underwhelmed as the model had lost its color and textures.

On iOS/Safari click on the link and use "Open With" and Select MeshLab
MeshLab crashes for me on the iPod/Touch

On MacOS-X, everything works fine. I used File/Import Mesh to read SGy/SGy.obj. I expect the mobile versions of MeshLab will work well at some time in the future.

I also found a web-site (can't remember where) to which you can upload the obj file. That worked well on mobile and desktop browsers.
[Mar 26, 2015, 4:19:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Port SH3D to Android

My browser can't resolve the link to your page and gives an error message....

Hans
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Mar 26, 2015, 7:33:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Hans, 9NAT simply cited ToWebPlugin that clanmills is programming at the moment.
9NAT, instead of creating an other thread about a possible port on Android, just suggest to clanmills that it would be nice to check that the results of his plug-in works on Android (and iOS) too.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Mar 26, 2015, 8:24:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
clanmills

England
smile Re: Port SH3D to Android

smile Yes. I believe it's working OK. It creates web pages and they seem to work OK on all devices.

I'm rather perplexed that the "Slider" theme creates a web page that causes all browsers on the iPhone to crash! Safari, Chrome and others. It uses a JavaScript library from jssor. I haven't investigated this yet. I don't feel guilty - it should be impossible for JavaScript code to crash the browser.

I've been totally overrun by support issues on the Exiv2 project during the last week and put ToWebPlugin to the side for the moment. We have friends coming from the States for Easter. It's gonna be April before I release the next version of ToWebPlugin. It'll be worth the wait.
[Mar 26, 2015, 9:54:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Pixelwizard

hi all!

from time to time i'm back, still working with sh3d. basically i'm on the same issue and just want to give a hopefully useful hint.

as i have done a complete industrial area with sh3d (office and production buildings, stoarages etc.), i decided to use this buildings in a web(ona-a-stick) application etc. the main problem i guess is known, mobile devices based on android or ios might not run the sh3d-viewer because of java (strange but true). to explain the idea i had...i was basically looking for a web-server solution localy on a android-tablet, found one and was able to install wordpress-cms. typo3 stops because of an open-ssl issue. so back on my workstation i was looking for some - webgl - solutions to bring my buildings to the web, with two important points: 1) without any external viewer and 2) the result must be responsive. basically i found a solution: take a look to the open-source webgl editor "kuda". actually i play around with the samples an to integrate the kuda-files to typo3-cms. as i understand, the main lib used is "node.js" an some addition, which convert ".dae"-files to "json". well, i'm not a real programmer, maybe some skills and a lot of ideas.

the main thing from my point of view should be to use existing libs like node.js and or three.js - and last but not least a working converter from obj to dae. actually i play with anycad-exchange 3d, but this is a "bad" program, because in background a chinese antivirus programm will be installed. so if you test this, be careful.

next step will be to use blender to convert the files. actually the main problem, the parts of the construction will loose colour and/or texture for some reason, wehn obj is converted to dae. i just guess it might be the grouping of some parts which cause this effect. or - and it seems optically like this - it depends on the position and behaiviour of the main light source set in sh3d. because thats the first impression i get viewing the converted files. or it might be caused by using the compressed sh3d-file before exporting to obj.

so finally my thoughts to find a real cross-platform solution which also gives you all positive effects should be the way using a webgl-path. at least the samples i tested was running on all my devices properly.

kind regards
alex
WIN10 Pro 64bit * 16 GB RAM * AMD FX 6100 * Geforce GTX 660

[May 24, 2015, 8:48:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
clanmills

England

Alex: I wish you luck with this, however I'm not confident that you're going to find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Let me explain why I believe you'll be disappointed. I worked in CAD for 10 years. 1981-1991. During those days, the IGDS "cross-platform" CAD format emerged. I don't recall ever being impressed because the standard represented "the lowest common denominator" of the computer model. In other words, many CAD systems could only represent about 80% of their data in IGDS and could only understand about 80% of the IGDS file. So, on a good day, you'd only get about 80%*80% = 64% conversion. And there were many un-good days. You'll almost certainly find that lighting sources, textures, names of items of furniture are lost.

Think about a simpler cross-platform file transfer matter. A Word document. When you push it through Acrobat into PDF, then into Apple Pages, then back to Word. You'll be lucky if you can even read the document.

However, I have two thoughts to cheer you up:
1 My work on Exiv2 v0.25 has finally finished (about 2000 hours over the last 2 years) and I'm going to get moving again this week on ToWebPlugin.
2 The technology you want will appear in time. Sweet Home 3D is incredible and can easily create 3-D models (on Mac/Linux/Windows) that would have been impossible on any system only 30 years ago. Today the phones are running some concoction of Linux. Within 2 or 3 years, the phone will be running full Linux. The phone will have a docking station to enable you to run on big monitors on your desktop. This has already been proposed for Ubuntu. With such a phone, your heart's desire will exist.

While we're waiting for Ubuntu (or Apple or Google) to beef up the OS, I'd appreciate some help and encouragement with ToWebPlugin. You could help me to test it AND you can develop more templates. Join me and let's have some fun.
[May 24, 2015, 9:45:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
clanmills

England

I've just realised that the URL above is wrong (as reported by Hans).

Here are the images of my home remodelling project from May last year: http://clanmills.com/2014/SG20152/ And the current project plan (construction starts June 1): http://clanmills.com/2014/SummerGardens/

And here's the state of ToWebPlugin: http://clanmills.com/ToWebPlugin/default.html

I'm hoping to have a new version of the plugin ready before June 1.
[May 24, 2015, 12:42:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

The plugin works fine in (K)Ubuntu Firefox and even in Android Chrome.

H
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[May 24, 2015, 2:42:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
FunnyHunny

Hi, A viewer for Android is a good idea and an advantage for me too:) I appreciate that request also!
[Jun 29, 2015, 3:06:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

You can now view in 3D your Sweet Home 3D files under Android and iOS using the new Export to HTML5 plug-in, as long as you don't try with too big files (generally less than 10 MB for compressed .sh3d files). Please read this article for more information.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[May 6, 2016, 12:29:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved