Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 13
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13938 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Sweet Home 3D does not start for directx issues

I've also discovered 5.x will close with a DirectX error message if a window is positioned so that a portion of it appears on two monitor screens driven by different graphics cards.

Currently, I have two monitors to my front left and right, both driven by a single older Nvidia GeForce of some sort [8600 GT, maybe?], plus a third monitor on a swing arm to my hard right that's driven by on-board video from the Intel motherboard. Typically, I use monitors 1 and 2 for sw3d, with the main UI on 1 and the 3D window on 2. Monitor 3 I use for support: web searching solutions, hunting textures, searching and downloading new models.

Should the 3D window be moved accidentally onto monitor 3 (and that might mean only the end of the window frame, without including any portion of the image), sh3d announces it's about to close itself because of a Direct X mismatch.

At this point every subsequent attempt to start the app will fail. The only way I've been able to clear the problem has been to go to Window's Display Properties menu (right click on the desk top; choose 'Graphic Properties'). Go to the 'settings' tab and disable the offending monitor. When you next invoke sh3d, it will start entirely in the two remaining monitors.

My memory of 4.6 (?) is that it didn't mind my dragging windows to any of the screens. If faced with a particularly time-consuming render, I'd occasionally drag the render UI to the third monitor, begin rendering, and then return to monitors 1 and 2 to continue editing while the render kept on.
[Oct 30, 2015, 7:37:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
HawkDawg
Advanced Member

USA

I also have 3 monitors on 2 Nvidea 7600 GT cards. The middle one is on one card and the left and right are on the other card.
I generally run SH3D on the right monitor with the 3D view on the middle monitor.

I've never had a problem with dragging the 3D view from the right monitor to the middle monitor. I've even stretched the 3D view across the middle and left monitors with no issue.

I wonder if it's because one of your monitors is running on the on-board chip.

What operating system are you running? I'm still running XP.
I also use a multi-monitor utility called Display Fusion which gives greater control of multi-monitor setups. That may have something to do with no problems for me.
I'm running SH3D 5.1
----------------------------------------
Hawk
[Oct 31, 2015, 12:43:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ElfenM

I'm running my work (so far) on my laptops, except for the G5 tower And 2 Mac Mini's. I know that the Mac laptops, G5 and Mac Mini's use the nVida cards. But the Lenovo laptops use the Intel Express card. The other PC laptops I'm working on use other cards other than the Intel (Need to check them out and post them) but the problem is only on the Lenovos, and even then, only on the single core S10/S12 units. The Lenovo X200s uses an Intel 4500 HD video card and the crashing does not happen on it as often as it does on the Intel Express video card (on the S10/S12 systems).

A Dell Inspiron 1545 I use has also uses the Intel 4500 Video card and it has no problems on it. And a Toshiba Satellite A105 S4284 uses the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 / Express 945. Neither one of these crash like the Lenovo's S10/S12 do.

These are all the same graphics card maker, Intel, but only one seems to be problematic - the Intel Express. Interesting to say the least, as the other cards have their own RAM but the Express steals System RAM. I doubt that is the case but who knows.

Most of my PCs are on XP, with the exception of the Dell and Toshiba being on Vista (will be upgrading to 7/8 soon...)

(We also need an edit button. I had to copy and delete my old post, fix it and repost it.)
[Oct 31, 2015, 5:06:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved