Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7020 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
ellen.kallevik@tele2.no

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Slow respons in Sweethome 5.0 - how to increase RAM use in Windows 10?

Hi

I have downloaded the latest version of Sweethome both with and without Java. I have updated my Java installation to the latest patch (60) as a 64 bits version. I have upgraded my Nvidia 970 card to the latest driver. I am running Windows 10 64 Bits with 32 GB RAM and I5820k CPU.

THe Sweethome file I use is about 80 MB. The responstime is very long. I have read about increasing the RAM usage. But I am not able to do that. I have made a file called SweetHome3D.l4j.ini in the "C:\Program Files\Sweet Home 3D" directory and put one entry into it: -Xmx700m, but "About SweetHome 3D" says "0,6 GB max" regardless of the number I put in. What do I do wrong?

Is there anything else I can do to make the application go faster?

Thanks in advance!
[Aug 20, 2015, 7:34:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: Slow respons in Sweethome 5.0 - how to increase RAM use in Windows 10?

Hei Ellen,

Hmm, default 64 bit installation of SH3D 5.0 under Win 10 (on a sluggish i3 laptop) gave me a lot more headroom than 0.6 GB max Sweet Home 3D ® Version 5.0 Java version 1.8.0_51 / 64 bit / 1.8 GB max
Win 10 Home 64 bit). But I found Win 10 to be, well, a bit erratic. See (SF Bugs 609).

Still, 80 MB is a pretty big file (sent you a link to a 1/2 MB example). I would try to remove some of the bigger objects / textures.

ok

P.S. It looks as if you read the FAQ on RAM, so I am not repeating what it says...
[Aug 20, 2015, 9:05:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

PPS - your mail bounces, I'm afraid :-(
[Aug 20, 2015, 9:31:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ellen.kallevik@tele2.no

Thanks!

My Windows 10 installation seems quite stable so far.

I have read the FAQ, but I can not get to change the RAM allocation. What do I do wrong? How can I manage to increase the RAM available to Sweethome?

Sorry about the email-adress it is old. Try kallevik.ellen@gmail.com instead.

Thank you again!
[Aug 20, 2015, 10:01:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

If changing the number in SweetHome3D.l4j.ini file doesn't change anything, I would double check the name of that file. Sometimes, text editors add a .txt extension whatever the name you type.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Puybaret at Aug 21, 2015, 11:20:48 AM]
[Aug 21, 2015, 8:02:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

From your email, I understand that you fixed your available RAM. But your 80 MB file (27 MB compressed) is still very big. Much bigger than what should be necessary for any normal construction. The walls, floors and basic construction elements in SH3D are very compact and do not take up much space. Often such a size (and slow SH3D operation) is caused by only one or a few models/textures.

First go looking for trees, cars or models with very many (intricate) surfaces and/or elaborate textures and remove them (copy to another file if you want them for later). Removing (replacing) the large objects in the SH3D plan will usually result in a significantly smaller sh3d file and should improve performance.

If the SH3D file is still too big (SH3D slow), and you cannot figure out why, you could try to explore the anatomy of the SH3D file itself. The process requires some familiarity with computers and file systems. Point is to try to identify large objects//textures by peeking inside the file itself. The procedure is a bit cumbersome, but does not take long.

As a SH3D file, when compressed, is a zipped file, you could for instance do the following to find the biggest object. Make sure you work on a COPY!.
- Use File-Save as to save a copy of your SH3D project under a different filename (xxx.sh3d).
- Use File-Save and compress this file.
- In your OS, rename the file xxx.sh3d to xxx.zip (you may need to do this in file properties if your OS hides file extensions).
- Extract the file (in Win, Right click and use Extract all) to create a new folder xxx which contains everything in the sh3d file.
- Open this folder.
- Search for *.* to list all files in the folder and subdirectories.
- Sort the list by size.
- NOTE, do not modify/edit anything in this file/directory, because it is unlikely you will be able to put an edited file back in working order. The copy is just to help you identify items and edit your SH3D plan and should be deleted. In theory, you ccould replace/edit object/texture files and put the whole thing back together again, but that is a process full of pitfalls.

Now you should see a list of the biggest files included in your SH3D home. Many of the files will have normal file extensions and their import name (like bike.obj) which should give you an idea which large objects in your SH3D plan causes the trouble. But it could also be graphic files (like bike.png) that are contained within an object (graphics related to a model can be found in the directory which contains the model).

Go back to SH3D and remove the items which contain the very large objects (or have very large texture files applied). This usually does the trick.

Now, you will also see a lot of files without extensions (file type) in the search list. Files Home and ContentDigest contain core information about your construction. The files 1,2,3,etc (numbers) as names are mostly graphic files (png, gif, jpg). Either plan icons (small ones), textures (could be large) or background images. To view them, you should be able to drag-and-drop these type-less files in a browser window to see what they are (does NOT work with Edge in Win 10, use Internet Explorer or Opera or something). Large files may be textures that take up a lot of space in your file. Go back to SH3D and try to find out where this texture is used and remove or replace with a smaller one (256×256 is usually plenty for normal surfaces).

The numbered files can also be 3d objects used in the construction, in which case you will often see text or just a mess in your browser if displayed at all. To see what they are, open a new file in SH3D and use Furniture-Import Furniture-Choose model and see whether a model comes up (sorry, drag-and-drop does not work here either).

The above description is superficial, and there are other ways of going about this, but if all else fails, it may be worth trying to find very large objects/textures.

ok
[Aug 21, 2015, 10:37:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved