Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 14
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 18528 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Wooden Stairway (180° / U form)

In Europe, the arrow in a 2D staircase image shows the way up. That means, the arrow starts at the lower floor and points towards the higher floor where the staircase ends.

Imagine being on the ground floor and two staircases have been inserted. This way you can discriminate between a staircase going from ground floor to second floor, and a staircase going from basement to ground floor.

Quite handy :-)

H
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Nov 2, 2015, 3:25:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ElfenM

As strange as it sounds, it throws me off for some reason. And none of the other stairways in the library have it. But you are right in that it does show direction the 2D Plan.

Stairways like this were used in many NYC Tenement Buildings build from the 1890s to WWII. Alas many of these old buildings are being torn down to put bigger buildings in their place. *SIGH* Memories of a long ago childhood in NYC.

Many thanks for the updated staircase!
[Nov 2, 2015, 3:25:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

As strange as it sounds, it throws me off for some reason. And none of the other stairways in the library have it. But you are right in that it does show direction the 2D Plan
Still curious why you do not like the planIcon with the arrow. The other staircases now available do not use customised planIcons, therefore just have an auto-generated top view. I have no strong feelings as to which is better, but personally prefer the ones with steps and direction-arrow for my own purposes.

I would hesitate to make two versions of each staircase in the planned library: one with the (proper) planIcon to show staircase and direction and one without. That would just be confusing.

NYC Tenement Buildings build from the 1890s to WWII
Yes, I jokingly referred to that particular staircase as "UK style", dangerous, winding and narrow. Very rare here, the steep straight staircases predominant.

But please, the staircase library is pretty much complete, so I much appreciate comments on planIcons, but also styles other elements.

ok
[Nov 2, 2015, 8:42:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Some changes to the semicircular staircase in library as it did not texture right and lacked handrail on one side. Also it was a bit too large for domestic use. Model has planIcon added. Some do not like them, but some apparently find them useful. This planIcon is deliberately made semi-transparent so the 2D plan will show furniture under the stairs. But if someone wants to edit, model and supplementary files in SF 3D models 329.

As the cut-out (staircaseCutOutShape#xx =m 0,1 a .5,1 0 0 1 1,0 l -0.25,0 a .25,.5 0 0 0 -.5,0 z) is a bit tricky in non-square co-ordinate systems, the SVG files are included with co-ordinate system for browser viewing. The path should be possible to edit with Inkscape (use the XML editor, to view the d-value), even if it may be a bit hard to control. (Inkscape likes to change Elliptical Arcs to Bézier curves and may convert to a mix between relative and absolute paths and many decimals - unless settings are changed. And even so, the result can be pretty frustrating).

ok

SH3D file: moonstair.sh3d
Model: moon_staircase2.zip

[Jan 16, 2017, 3:57:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved