Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3929 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
ElfenM

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
What is the minimal/oldest system one can run SH3D on?

I do not expect this to work on a '386sx on DOS6 and Windows 3 on 32MB OF RAM - LOL!!!

But in my experience, I have SH3D working on a Macintosh PowerPC G4 (512MB of RAM) & G5 (1.5GB of RAM), both with Java 1.5 (Java 5 I believe). But there are issues that I work around:
- The directional disc on 3D views are missing.
- The Advanced Rendering Plug-in has a menu list but clicking it does nothing.
- Parts of the Advanced/Advanced Edit Plug-ins are not on the menus.

Everything else works fine how ever.

For some things that need those extra plug-in features, I save the files to a thumb drive and go over to a PC with XP/Vista/Win 7/Win 8 (depending on what I have access too at the time).

Strangely enough, I got it running on a Lenovo NetBook on XP and Java 8. It had Java 7, but the program screamed (I think it was Java that was screaming) that due to a security issue with Java 7, it needed to be updated to Java 8 and took me to the Oracle's Java 8 download page. I do have a PC with Java 6, and it does not invokes this upgrade and runs SH3D just fine, plug-ins and all!
[Sep 26, 2015, 5:44:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: What is the minimal/oldest system one can run SH3D on?

Under Windows, Sweet Home 3D should work from XP to 10.
Under Mac OS X versions where only Java 5 is available, the main limitation is the navigation arrows in the 3D view as you noticed (but the help about the 3D view explains the various ways to navigate in the 3D view). However, there could be some other small problems simply because I generally perform just a quick test of Sweet Home 3D under Java 5 with an old iBook G4 from time to time.

As explained here and elsewhere in the forum, the Advanced Rendering Plug-in doesn't work with Sweet Home 3D from version 3.4.
Some other plug-ins might not work if they require some access to local disk system and you use such plug-ins with the Java Web Start version (like the Copy as new furniture plug-in). Of course plug-ins must be compiled with Java 5 target to work under a system where no Java version better than version 5 is available.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Sep 27, 2015, 12:50:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ElfenM

It's a great program, Puybaret! I'm glad that is it "backwards compatible" with older systems when many programs today are not. It gives older machines a reason to be used even though their run slower than their more modern counterparts.

That being said, anyone has it running on a P4 on XP? I just want to know how fast or slow is it, and is still useful to those with that kind of machine. In theory, a P4 is much like a Mac PowerPC G4.
[Sep 27, 2015, 1:58:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
HawkDawg
Advanced Member

USA

I don't know if this will help but I'm running SH3D on an XP 32-bit machine with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ AM2 - 2.4 GHz processor with 4 GB RAM (only 2.8 available due to running 2 video cards) using an EVGA GeForce 7600 GT KO 256 MB video card.
Antiquated by today's standards. laughing

I get an occasional brief pause when I have the 3D view on a different monitor (I have 3 monitors) with Virtual Visit on but for the most part SH3D runs fine.

I'm just a beginner using this great program but I'm trying to design some pretty big homes, tri-level, and the like, and haven't had any issues yet.

I'd post some screenshots of what I'm doing but looking at some of the other designers shots I'm just to embarrassed to show mine. laughing
Hawk
[Oct 6, 2015, 11:50:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ElfenM

It helps greatly, HawkDawg. Though I'm mostly on Mac, my PC systems are almost like yours but at 1/2 the RAM and running Core Duo and Core2 Duo on XP and Vista. I do have a couple of P4 systems and a wickedly fast Pentium D but it's a monster on the electric bill to run...

I'm a beginner too though I have used Poser and Blender in the past (but that was long ago! At least 10 years! LOL!) SH3D makes it easy to create! I've only been playing with it since July and now gotten the feel of it but I'm no expert. One day I will post up the homes I did. I have sent a couple to user nate1380 for his company's video game and he's happy with them and if they are used credit will be given. His thread is: http://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,5929

I put my first files in a zip file for people to look at and play with. Only thing is the log camp cabin uses a custom texture I created, and though you can see it, you wont be able to edit the texture. When I finish my texture library (need to fix a few of them on it), I will post it as a Free To Use - GNU License.
[Oct 7, 2015, 4:28:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
HawkDawg
Advanced Member

USA

I've only been using SH3D for about 3 weeks and I've already designed 4 or 5 houses.
I've also built a couple minor models I needed. I use 3DCanvas. It exports in any of the required formats but I think obj would be the best, although I haven't really tried a lot.

I used to do 3D modeling for Microsoft Train Simulator and Railworks and have used Train Sim Modeler and 3DCanvas so I'm used to them.

I'm really more interested in the building architecture than the interior design. I'll add some furniture just to show it in respect to the type of room, and the size.
I also paint and texture walls and floors and such, but the building design is what I really lean towards.

It seems most folks using this great program generally go full hog and do some beautiful interior design so anything I might be willing to post shots of may not be of much interest to the community as I don't put a lot of work into the interior design.
Hawk
[Oct 7, 2015, 10:00:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved