Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7140 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
ElfenM

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Running SH3D on ARM Systems?

Primarily on the Raspberry, Banana and Orange Pi's, and Beagle Bone Black SBC (Small Board Computers) Systems, running Linux.

I see that there is a Linux version but it is for the Intel Processor. As is it would not run on these ARM systems running Debian Linux as the CPU does not match. Speaking of which, I'm speaking of using them on the multi-cpu core units at about 1.4GHz, not on the single core units on 700MHz. With the Raspberry Pi, that's 4 cores on the Raspberry Pi Model 2; with the others it is 2 or 4 cores (depending on the model bought). All have a minimum of 1GB of RAM.

I'm guessing, but have not tried it out, that SH3D.jar should be able to run on these system. Though it should be on the Wish-List, is it possible to ask for a ARM (Raspberry Pi flavored) version of SH3D? At most if there is some C/C++ to compile, there is a gcc complier for the R-Pi which would be compatible for the other units as well as a lot of software complied for the R-Pi works well on the other units.

Java RE/SDK is part of the Linux on these machines (it is for the Raspberry Pi and Banana Pi, not sure about Beagle Bone though I'm guessing that it is.)

If anyone tried this before, I would like to know how far they went with it.

Many thanks.

ElfenM
[Oct 6, 2015, 7:17:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: Running SH3D on ARM Systems?

Thought struck me too. And it would be fun. At least the Raspberry Pi Model 2 appears to be capable of any flavour Linux, so I cannot see any reason why it shouldn't work. That said, cool as it might be, I am not sure one of those mini-boxes would be my preferred choice for actual SH3D work. But, yes, fun. First to try, please post... ok
[Oct 6, 2015, 7:31:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ElfenM

Tried it with the Java version, thinking it would just run on Java. But there are some calls to Intel/Java routines that kills it. UGH!

Looks like an ARMs CPU version needs to be complied from Java source to make this work. How does one do that? The later versions of Raspbian Linux has a gcc complier and JAVA 1.8 on it. I'm using the Raspbian 2/2015 version, the one that came out for the Raspberry Pi 2. The new Raspbian (9/2015) I don't have (yet).
[Oct 10, 2015, 7:00:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
jamez

Hi, I just wanted to confirm that it is indeed possible to run SH3D on Linux/ARM machines. Specifically, I compiled it from a Shield K1 (ARMv7 processor) running Ubuntu 14.04. It runs flawlessly and pretty fast too.

It just needs some love with a few libraries that have to be added into the project. These are: libgluegen-rt, libj3dcore-ogl, libnativewindow_awt, libnativewindow_x11 and libjogl_desktop.

It would be nice to support ARM officially, I guess there are a lot of RPI3 users that would enjoy SH3D.
[Oct 6, 2017, 12:50:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved