Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 13
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7083 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
HawkDawg
Advanced Member

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Question About Java

I'm currently running SH3D with the installer version, with the Java included, on an XP machine.
The latest version of Java (8) will not run on XP, but I think I can find Java 7.

Is there any advantage to installing Java 7 over using the included Java with the installer?
----------------------------------------
Hawk
[Oct 10, 2015, 9:35:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Question About Java

No, the included Java version works perfectly with SH3D.
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Oct 10, 2015, 11:05:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

From this comment of Oracle and Java history that didn't break compatibility from version to version, I don't think you'll run any problem.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Oct 10, 2015, 11:48:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
HawkDawg
Advanced Member

USA

From this comment of Oracle and Java history that didn't break compatibility from version to version, I don't think you'll run any problem.

Do you mean with the Java included with the SH3D installer, as Hansmex said would work fine?

Another quick question (well, two actually smile ). It looks like I have 3 versions of the Java that was installed with the different versions/updates of the installer, as shown in this screenshot.

Is all 3 of those directories/installs necessary?
Would it be advantages for me to uninstall SH3D and reinstall the 5.1 version?
Hawk
[Oct 10, 2015, 12:26:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

If you use the installer version, you don't have to install Java. This version comes with its own Java 6.

Currently I am using Ubuntu 14.04 64-bits with no Java installed at all, and SH3D runs just fine.

H
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Oct 10, 2015, 1:10:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Do you mean with the Java included with the SH3D installer, as Hansmex said would work fine?
Yes, otherwise I wouldn't bother to include it wink

Is all 3 of those directories/installs necessary?
No, in version 5.1, only jre1.8.0_60 directory is necessary. I should update the installer procedure to delete the old jre directories.

Would it be advantages for me to uninstall SH3D and reinstall the 5.1 version?
It's the safest way to remove the unnecessary directories.
[Oct 10, 2015, 2:07:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

By the way, Hans, thanks for your help, but note that Hawk is under Windows where your experience under Linux might not always apply, just because install procedures are completely different under Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.
[Oct 10, 2015, 2:09:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
HawkDawg
Advanced Member

USA

Thanks for all your help guys. It's greatly appreciated.
I'll uninstall SH3D and reinstall 5.1.

One more thing: Do I understand correctly that the AdvancedEditing plugin is no longer needed with 5.1?
Hawk
[Oct 10, 2015, 2:36:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Version 5.0 brought the ability to add and remove points to a room, but the Advanced Editing plug-in brings many other features!

[Note: message updated because I misunderstood your previous post at first]
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Puybaret at Oct 10, 2015, 6:55:30 PM]
[Oct 10, 2015, 3:10:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
HawkDawg
Advanced Member

USA

OK! Thanks!

I took some screenshots of the various menus before uninstalling and after reinstall it looks like I'm missing a few options.

Under the Edit menu I'm missing Rotate, Resize, Move and Flip.
Under the Furniture menu I'm missing Elevation.
Under the Plan menu I'm missing Edit Room Points.

I've installed the calcualteWalls plugin and the CopyAsNewFurniture plugin and before uninstalling I also had the AdvancedEditng plugin installed (before I read that it isn't needed), which I don't now.

I guess I installed some other plugin that gave me the above options but I can't remember which one, or ones.

I downloaded the AdvancedRenderingClassic and Mini plugins but I don't believe I ever installed them as they weren't shown in the plugins folder.

I should have paid closer attention before. laughing

Sorry if I'm getting a bit off-topic for this thread.
Hawk
[Oct 10, 2015, 3:42:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved