Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3030 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
beaniecopter

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
non-rectangular room

Using the ROOM tool, I am finding it very difficult to create -- or even to approximate -- a non-rectangular room, such as a regular hexagon or a regular pentagon.

I can create a room with five or six corners, but the difficulty comes when I try to make the sides of equal length or the angles equal.

Is sweet home limited to rectangles (and circles)?
[Oct 12, 2015, 3:10:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: non-rectangular room

Inputting numeric values for length and angle (see tool-tip: use ENTER when drawing wall or room), or just disabling magnetism, I find odd corners pretty easy to make. Not least thanks to the alignment-help when drawing (blue crosshair). So I am a bit surprised you find it difficult.

Failing that, it is always easy to change the values to accurate measurements later. ok
[Oct 12, 2015, 7:07:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
HawkDawg
Advanced Member

USA

It only took me about 2 minutes to draw this.

----------------------------------------
Hawk
[Oct 12, 2015, 8:15:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
beaniecopter

Thanks; I did not understand MAGNETISM. By "difficult", I mean that I would pull on a corner, but it was like stretching a rubber band, and finally the corner would move no further, until I made an adjustment at another corner. The geometry is not difficult, but it seemed to be a "you cannot get there from here" situation over and over.

I am just starting out with sweethome3d (obviously), so I have not yet tried numeric input. I have been working entirely with the mouse.

It is very late here, so I shall wait until morning to disable magnetism and try numeric input. I am grateful for your prompt reply.

P.S. This is an AMAZING software package; I am delighted to have learned about it.
[Oct 12, 2015, 8:18:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
HawkDawg
Advanced Member

USA

And just slightly longer to draw these.

Hawk
[Oct 12, 2015, 8:25:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
HawkDawg
Advanced Member

USA

I've been using SH3D for about 3 weeks so it will come quickly to you. smile
Hawk
[Oct 12, 2015, 8:28:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
HawkDawg
Advanced Member

USA

You could always use a background image too.
Hawk
[Oct 12, 2015, 8:31:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

This thread got busy smile Actually, the tricky thing - especially with non-rectangular rooms/corners - is to place the corners accurately to facilitate easier calculation later. The Advanced plan editing (found on the SF plugin page) is really useful (move room points, move all). That way the starting point can be set to 0.0 which makes everything easier.

BTW, if you want to play with non-rectangular shapes, sunlight simulation (see blog 14.11.2014) gives a good visualisation of light and shadow throughout the day.

Put example files in SF 3D models 372:

octagon_roof.sh3d
octagon_sun_sim.mp4
roof_oct.zip

ok

[Oct 12, 2015, 9:35:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved