Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4069 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
HawkDawg
Advanced Member

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
SH3D on Linux/Ubuntu

I see that Ubuntu now comes in a 64-bit version. I don't know how long it's been available but I just noticed it.

Anyway, since I have a 64-bit capable processor and 4 GB of installed RAM, would I be better running SH3D under Ubuntu (or some other distro, if they still call it that) rather than Windows?
----------------------------------------
Hawk
[Oct 16, 2015, 10:48:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
digitaltrails

New Zealand
Re: SH3D on Linux/Ubuntu

If SH3D is already running OK why would you consider an OS switch? You may run into other issues under Linux.

Having said that, all the desktops in our home are 64 bit OpenSUSE 13.1. I'm using the Linux 64 bit SH3D with bundled-java. It works very well. The one small annoying issue with Java under Linux is that it will only output to paper sizes available on my local printers. I tried playing games with virtual printers, but I haven't worked out a convenient solution. This means I cannot produce large A3 PDF's from SH3D under Linux.
[Oct 19, 2015, 4:11:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
HawkDawg
Advanced Member

USA

I wasn't thinking of switching OS's. I was considering setting up a dual boot.
Printing isn't an issue with me. My printer doesn't work and I can't afford to buy another one.
It's the fact that I'm running a 32-bit OS and I can run a 64-bit Linux, which should take a little better advantage of the 4 GB of physical memory I have installed.
I did buy Win 7 64-bit and a 32-bit disk, but I don't really care much for Win 7 so I gave the 64-bit disk to a friend.
I still have the 32-bit disk laying around somewhere, but for right now I'm sticking with XP.

I always did like Linux but I couldn't spend a lot of time in it because of the games I like to play.
Hawk
[Edit 2 times, last edit by HawkDawg at Oct 19, 2015, 8:47:28 AM]
[Oct 19, 2015, 8:42:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
AraiBob

HawkDog, I have used Ubuntu 64x Linux for 4 years now and love the lack of non-sense from MicroSoft. SH3D does work on my Ubuntu 14.4 LTS. I just upgraded to the latest version and it works. I don't print, so not an issue for me. I sometimes take a picture, using GIMP.
[Nov 21, 2015, 5:51:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved