Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7595 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
fcaponi78

Italy
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Procedure for submitting patches and testing on all platforms

Dear all,
i am working on the support for 4K displays, due to the fact that my new notebook mounts a retina display (is a DELL Latitude) and the usage of sweethome is very difficult.

I have found a feature request for the same problem at
https://sourceforge.net/p/sweethome3d/feature-requests/727/

How can I submit my changes in order to get published in the next release?

Who can help in testing the changes on all the supported operating systems? I'm able to test the changes only on Windows 10 at HD resolution and at 4K resolution and on windows 7 at hd resolution.

Many thanks
[Oct 23, 2015, 5:58:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
clanmills

England
Re: Procedure for submitting patches and testing on all platforms

I can test for your patches on my 2013 MacBook Pro 2560x1600 display. It has virtual machines running Windows7 and Ubuntu 15.04. robin@clanmills.com
[Oct 24, 2015, 11:37:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
fcaponi78

Italy

Thanks Robin, we just need someone explaining how to submit patches.

Just for my knowledge, are you experiencing problems with retina display also on MacBook? I'm asking because I heard somewhere that the scaling on mac works well
[Oct 24, 2015, 3:08:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

There are no Retina issues under Mac OS X where Java handled this a long time ago. And testing patches for Windows with virtual machines isn't a solution too because the virtual machine is able to handle Retina display (at least with Parallels Desktop).
That's why I would first search the solution that Oracle is preparing for Windows and Linux, where this kind of screen is more and more often available. In the mean time, you can still switch to Metal Look and Feel to force a larger font, even if it's not perfect because this solution mustn't be able to show larger buttons in the toolbar.

You can submit a patch in the request ticket itself, but this will require some tests on many different configurations before it gets integrated in Sweet Home 3D itself.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Oct 24, 2015, 6:32:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
fcaponi78

Italy

Dear Emannuelle,
first of all many thanks for sharing this awesome project!

I absolutely agree with you that my patches requires an adeguate testing phase since i have verified the behaviour only on windows 10 and windows 7.
That's why I asked how to proceed, because I never contributed before on a sourceforge project.
Regarding the problem, i already wrote a comment on the ticket, because the problem is not in the fonts (that are correctly scaled in almost all the UI) but in images that are bundled with software (16 pixel of height).
I don't know how MacOS manage this scaling automatically, i would be curious to see how it behaves, because in other development languages you need to include different versions of the same image, one for low dpi, one for hdpi and so on.

My patch simply add a static method on the OperatingSystem class "getDpiFactor()" (so we can centrally return 1.0 in case of MacOs if the scaling of images is not needed) and then this factor is used to resize some elements of the UI, basically images, row heights and so on.

I would like to attach some screenshots in order to clarify the problem, but it seems disabled on this forum.
[Oct 24, 2015, 8:22:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
clanmills

England

Sounds like I'm not needed and that fine. I get the glow of offering without having to do anything!

You know I always like to agree with you, Emmanuel. Parallels has a video option for most VMs "Enable retina resolution". When I've tried that, I've been astonished. There's no scaling. On my 13" MacBookPro, the VM's screen furniture is tiny. Parallels 10 doesn't offer that for my W7/VM. Parallels 11 has removed it from Ubuntu. I bet can be enabled by editing a prefs file.
[Oct 24, 2015, 8:39:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
fcaponi78

Italy

Hi Robin,
I still need your help in order to figure out the behaviour of java on macbook related to scaling of images/fonts.

I have just added a screenshot taken from my 4k display on the feature request ticket:
https://sourceforge.net/p/sweethome3d/feature-requests/727/

Please can you do the same with you macbook?
[Oct 26, 2015, 1:16:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Franco, sorry to repeat myself, but there's no problem with Java applications run on a Retina display under Mac OS X.
From a search I made on my side, the HiDPI issue should be fixed in the coming months (see JEP 263).
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Oct 26, 2015, 10:26:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
fcaponi78

Italy

Hi Emmanuelle,
i was not doubting your previous sentence, my question to Robin was just to compare the result obtained by MacOs with the one obtained by my patch.

Anyway, a first set of changes is ready, because I had to develop them in order to continue use SweetHome3d with my new PC. Tonight I will attach them to the feature request... Feel free to apply them or to skip if you prefer to wait for the oracle solution.

Best regards
Franco
[Oct 27, 2015, 9:01:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved