Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 12
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7144 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
swave

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Copy'n'paste multi layer house

Hi

I have designed a house in and out. Now I want to see the effects and lighting with surrounding houses which are the same or mirrored. For mirroring I want to use the advanced plugin. However I have already a problem that the copied house is not correct anymore. It seems like the height over ground or the layer property is not saved correctly. It also depends on which layer is active while pasting. But I couldn't find a way to copy a multi layered house in one action.

Workaround may be to copy'n'paste each layer separately but that's quite some work, especially as the layers need to be aligned again after pasting.

Is my observation correct or am I doing something wrong? How can I copy and mirror a multi level house?

Thanks
[Oct 25, 2015, 6:54:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Copy'n'paste multi layer house

From version 4.4, there's a Edit > Select all at all levels menu item but if you try a copy/paste after choosing this menu item, everything will be pasted at the same level.
Maybe, there should be a paste option proposing to create missing levels, but imagine the mess it would become if the levels you already have in the document where you paste don't match the ones copied in the clipboard!
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Oct 26, 2015, 10:32:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
swave

As long as you copy from the same project that should never happen at all, which is probably the main use case. And if you copy from a different project then you can have a new paste command that would create new layers for the copied items.
After pasting there may be more layers than necessary but together with the possibility to combine layers that are the same this would allow to handle new items with all the layers they need and still be able to cleanup if necessary.

Would that be doable?
[Oct 27, 2015, 9:15:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
swave

Copying the house layer by layer also doesn't work fully as I can't only select the pieces from one single layer. Some items that are big enough are "visible" in more than one layer. So after copying everything layer by layer these items end up twice and need to be cleaned up as well (not to mention the aligning).

If the clipboard is not the right tool to hold all the information how about an import command to add the contents of a .sh3d file into the current project? Like that the items can be rotated/mirrored/however prepared before importing. Of course the problem with the increasing number of layers still remains.

For now it seems that exporting everything as .obj and importing it again is the only way to get at least the correct visuals. Unfortunately last time I tried even with a cleaned and simplified version of the house SH3D never finished the task. No CPU time was spent but nothing happened. I may try again later.
[Oct 27, 2015, 1:05:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
tonyh

Has anyone found a solution to this question... I am currently using SH3D to do a quick and simple site master plan for a 50acre site in which I have 3 different multi-story house types.... which I want to copy and paste around the site and with different angles.
My problem is the same one as above, how to copy a multi story object... not the entire drawing as that includes other structures and houses which will be treated separately
thanks for any help with this
[Mar 23, 2016, 4:21:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

- Select the part of your drawing that you want to copy into the masterplan;
- Export as OBJ Format, making sure to export only the selection;
- Import as furniture into the master plan.

The house is now a non-editable piece of "furniture" that you can place and rotate at will.
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Mar 23, 2016, 5:51:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
tonyh

thanks a lot for that
I cant see how to select just a part of a drawing, across all levels...when I select all, or all levels, it picks up everything, how do I pick up just one part (as in 1 house) across all its component levels ... apologies if my question is asking the obvious or a is a bit simple
thanks very much
[Mar 23, 2016, 7:23:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
tonyh

... or would itbe easier to draw the individual house in a seperate , clean drawing, then export it, then introduce it the main drawing as a piece of furniture.... that way I guess I could select all in the separate drawing
maybe I;; try that
[Mar 23, 2016, 7:27:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Sorry for misunderstanding your question.

You can't select part of a plan over multiple levels.

Best scenario would be:
- draw separate houses in separate files
- export then import houses in masterplan

Alterations to individual houses should be done in source files.
Masterplan is where individual (non-editable) houses meet environment/terrain.

H
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Mar 23, 2016, 8:12:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
tonyh

yep, in case anyone else trying to do the same.... I created the individual houses in a separate "clean" drawing.... exported them as OBJ as advised above, then re-imported them as a piece of furniture into my main site plan.

thanks for the helpful tips
[Mar 23, 2016, 8:33:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved