Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5356 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
ElfenM

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Standalone Furniture Library Editor Issues?

I did this back in September so I forget the website these models came from. But the issue is this:

When I import some models' .obj file from the Standalone Furniture Library Editor, everything is off.

For one: Who ever did the model did it in inches, but the Standalone Furniture Library Editor thinks it's in feet.

For two: The X/Y/Z Axis are wrong; the modeler did the model in one direction, but the Standalone Furniture Library Editor thinks its in another. Thus making a size adjustment to the object and is gets distorted on that one axis. This is harder to explain but I'll try to put it this way:

X Axis is for Left and Right. Z Axis is for front and back. Both makes a Horizontal Plane. Y Axis is for Up and Down which with X or Z makes a Vertical Plane. But some programs switch Y and Z or X and Z.

So when I make a change to the Y Axis on Furniture, when the Axis are swapped by either program, the Furniture gets distorted.

I remember my very first imported model was a Smart Cart. Both problems were apparent. I ended up with a 200-something foot Smartcar as a furniture piece. It was 4 times bigger than the house I was creating! It took me a few days to get it right, and I had to go to the Smart Car Website to get it's actual measurements and apply it to the furniture import; but it came out distorted as the Axises were swapped. So I took and played around with the numbers and swapped them about into other Axises. It took a while but I got it right.
[Oct 31, 2015, 4:14:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
HawkDawg
Advanced Member

USA
Re: Standalone Furniture Library Editor Issues?

For one: Who ever did the model did it in inches, but the Standalone Furniture Library Editor thinks it's in feet.

Are you sure it's inches and not in metric? I think most of the modelers are not from the US.
----------------------------------------
Hawk
[Oct 31, 2015, 4:39:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ElfenM

This was inches, as dividing the figure by 12 gave the proper foot dimensions.
[Oct 31, 2015, 6:17:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

An OBJ or 3DS file doesn't specify the unit of the values it contains (but DAE files do), and Sweet Home 3D always interprets them as centimeters.
So if the designer didn't use centimeters for his model, you'll have to rescale it. Sometimes, the values are even not expressed in any unit.

Similarly, a designer can draw his model deciding the vertical axis will be along Y or Z. If he chose the wrong axis, you'll have to rotate it too.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Nov 4, 2015, 5:08:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved