Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8711 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
HawkDawg
Advanced Member

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Models from archive3d

I just found out something that I wasn't aware of.
If you download some models from archive3d.net, one of the links on the SH3D models page , a lot of them come zipped with a 3DS file and a gsm file, along with a text file.
If you import the model straight from the zip, it will import the 3DS file as well as the gsm file and the text file.

I'm not sure if the gsm file is needed or if it holds information about the texture.
If it is just a different 3d model format, and doesn't include the texture information needed for the 3DS file, then that will add a lot of unnecessary bloat to projects, and I'm sure the text file isn't needed in the sh3d file.

An example of this is the table found at this link - http://archive3d.net/?a=download&id=955c5740
If you look in the zip you'll find the following files:

archibase.net.txt
Table N210312.3DS
Table N210312.gsm

If you import the 3DS file straight from the zip, it will also import the gsm file and the txt file, as seen in this screenshot, taken from within a sh3d file.

I found this out by opening a sh3d file using 7zip.

Can anyone confirm whether the gsm file is really needed when importing a model that includes it?
----------------------------------------
Hawk
[Nov 24, 2015, 4:52:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Models from archive3d

No, it's not needed. You can extract the 3DS file and just use that.

H
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Nov 24, 2015, 4:56:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
HawkDawg
Advanced Member

USA

That's what I thought. That would help to explain why my first project ended up at 135 MB.
I used a lot of models from that site, and it seems the gsm file is a lot bigger than the 3DS file.
Hawk
[Nov 24, 2015, 4:58:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
HawkDawg
Advanced Member

USA

So, I went back into my first project, the 135 MB file, and did a little checking in the sh3d file.
I then used what I found and deleted 2 lights I added, along with 9 bulbs and that 135 MB file is now 40 MB. biggrin
The gsm file on one of them was about 60 MB.
Hawk
[Nov 25, 2015, 2:05:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

gsm files must be Archicad files. At the moment, they are completely useless in Sweet Home 3D since it doesn't support this format. I could filter these files to avoid including them in a sh3d file, but I'm not very found of introducing such a system since users just have to pay attention to what they import if they don't want these files.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Nov 25, 2015, 11:27:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
HawkDawg
Advanced Member

USA

Now that I'm aware of how to properly import furniture I can avoid inadvertently importing those gsm files in the future.

Maybe this topic will help others to avoid this issue. smile
Hawk
[Nov 26, 2015, 12:10:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved