Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6725 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
keddie28

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Help modelling true crime scene- blood stains, body positions, odd 3d items

Hi-

I'm using SH3D to create a working model of a 35 y/o crime scene. It took place in a 2-level home. After about 30 hours of work, I've got the main floor built within an inch of actual measurements, and have much of the existing layout and furnishings in place, even down to similar carpet, wall paneling, wallpaper, etc. I've also created the basement floor of the home but, as it and the immediate outdoors area play such a small known role in understanding the crime, I've back-burnered that section.

Many odd things were strewn around the cabin (messed up clothing, papers, etc), and I want to get it as close to picture-perfect as possible- I even have several unpublished crime scene photos to match it against. I have Qs about a few things. Before I ask, here's a link to a few videos I've created - the most current version is much better but not yet online. Also, here's a link to the interactive living room scene .

SOME QUESTIONS:

► What's the best way to create blood stains on the floor? I could create the entire floor with carpet and layered blood stains using Photoshop, then import the entire piece as a floor texture, but that requires hours of painstaking work to get each stain in the exact position, and/or hours of adjusting in Photoshop and re-importing in SH. It would be easier to do it on-the-fly within SH3D, but I don't know of any way to do so... I'm barely familiar with the rudiments of what SH can do, so any ideas...?

► The human models I've used come from outside sources, and they're close to correct in position but I need to open them in Blender and move them into the precise positions. I have the program, but have never used it. It's probably best I find a decent forum for that prog and ask there, but thought I'd throw it out here in case anyone else is also familiar enough to point me to a good tutorial. I'm not interested in learning Blender, I want to know just enough to complete building this crime scene.

► There were lots of electrical wires used in the crime- to bind the victims, etc. I'm guessing I'm going to have to utilize Blender for that, as well?

My main interest is in the crime scene, not learning every program under the sun in order to build an accurate 3-d mock-up. At the moment, those are the core issues. Finding ways to create the socks and crumpled, bloody clothing strewn about the place will come later, if at all. I'm working from "most important" to "least important" as I get the details right.

Thanks for hearing me out, and thanks to the creators for making a great product that's already proved so helpful in letting newbies understand such an intricate crime scene.

Thanks in advance for any help offered-

dmac
[Dec 7, 2015, 2:59:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Help modelling true crime scene- blood stains, body positions, odd 3d items

Welcome dmac on the forum.

What's the best way to create blood stains on the floor?
The fastest way should be to draw a room with plenty of points that match the shape of the stains, then change its floor color to red. The problem with this way of doing is that you won't get the color of the real floor by transparency. To mix blood color with the color of the real floor, you could export the "stain room"to OBJ format then reimport it as an object, and set a half transparent red texture on the stain.

The human models I've used come from outside sources, and they're close to correct in position but I need to open them in Blender and move them into the precise positions [...]
Using Blender is a good solution, importing the OBJ model, moving its vertices then exporting it back to OBJ format. It's the software I used to adjust some flawed models proposed by Reallusion. BUT learning Blender is pretty hard and adjusting body parts require some good 3D skills. Sorry, I can't suggest a tutorial in particular.

There were lots of electrical wires used in the crime- to bind the victims, etc. I'm guessing I'm going to have to utilize Blender for that, as well?
Probably. You could also design the wires with an other software like Art of Illusion which is easier to learn, but I wouldn't use that software to change the human models.

Good luck!
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Dec 7, 2015, 7:20:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ickle_bea

Your interactive 3D scene is really good. Thanks for sharing the links.
[Dec 26, 2015, 8:41:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ickle_bea

This case is really interesting and this person has put a great deal of effort into recreating the crime scene photos as well as sharing interviews and evidence and info about this horrible and tragic unsolved case.

If anyone here can help with creating small details for the SH3D crime scenes, with blood spatters and blankets and small details, please do. I would totally volunteer to help if I had the skills. Sadly I have no idea how to use Blender so I am unable to help.

Good luck with your work!
[Dec 26, 2015, 2:45:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
keddie28

I've decided to get the blood stains right by tiling a carpet imade in Photoshop, and then adding bloodstains to the image, and finally importing the image as a custom floor pattern. However, while the image is exactly the right proportion for the room, it's not displaying properly once imported.

The room is 113" x 47.5", so I've made the image 1130px x 475px. However, as you can tell by the attached images, the representation in SH3d is way off, exaggerating the long side of the image while squashing and repeating the narrow side.

I've tried many ideas for fixing the problem, but it always screws up the size of the image.

Any ideas?

PS, the size of the room and image is dead on.

[Jan 10, 2016, 9:26:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
keddie28

I've found a fix, but it involves offsetting the actual layout of my texture to accommodate the inaccurate rendering.

Therefore, these two seemingly screwed-up floor textures result in the output image of the proper layout of the carpet and bloodstains:

Here's how SH3d renders them:

[Jan 11, 2016, 5:49:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved