Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 18939 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
anhmax

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
smile Living room design - SH3D can create realistic pictures

Hello everyone, this is another design for living room.

When I first used Sh3d, I really loved this software, but there was a problem that is I didn't get any nice images. These pictures were too bright or too dark. I nearly gave up using it after some weeks later because I thought Sh3d will never create reality pictures.
However, I kept using this soft cause I'm interested in designing room. Then, after 2 years using Sweet home 3d, I've got some experience for myself.
I've changed my mind about Sweet home 3D. I could say that SH3D can render a realistic picture.

----------------------------------------
My channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM1mqUjGRtD4uCXX5qzgG3w
[Dec 28, 2015, 4:49:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA
smile Re: Living room design - SH3D can create realistic pictures

Anh -

Very impressive renders! Could you shed some light [ahem] on how you accomplished them? For instance, given the lower image

1. How many light sources did you use, and at what size and intensity?

2. Are you using only light sources 'within' light fixtures or a combination of fixture-based and 'free-range' sources (i.e., sources defined at arbitrary points within the space)?

3. Given SH3D only supports non-directional point or spherical lights, how did you define sources for the display light over the framed artwork?

4. I assume (perhaps incorrectly) at least some of your fixtures contain light sources inside or behind a translucent object. If so, how did you define object translucency - for instance, editing the MTL file? applying a translucent texture? Have you ever run into rendering artifacts similar to the ones I posted here?

I apologize for the flood of questions, but you've succeeded so beautifully, I want to steal your ideas! smile
[Dec 31, 2015, 6:09:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
anhmax

Re: Living room design - SH3D can create realistic pictures

Dear Mazoola,
Thank you for your compliment.

1. I used 5 white light sources (0.8m size, and 10-15 intensity), and 9 small incandescent sources for spotlights (0.05 size, 3 intensity).

2. I can't use the light sources come with light fixture from the internet. I think Sh3D doesn’t support this feature. Therefore, I have to put a light source from Sh3D into these fixtures.

3,4: Here is the image so that you can see it clearly

About the transparency, at this time, Sh3d doesn’t support us to change the material of object to transparency or glass. I hope SH3D will soon have this feature soon. Therefore, I just place the light sources in front of the light fixtures (the image).
In brief, your questions are also my questions. I hope SH3D can let us add glass material to furniture and modify light source to other shapes, not only sphere.
Hope this could help.

And happy new year!
My channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM1mqUjGRtD4uCXX5qzgG3w
[Dec 31, 2015, 3:01:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA

Anh -

Thanks so much for your prompt and detailed reply. Frankly, I am amazed at how realistic your render proved using just those light sources. I am going to revisit some of my earlier scenes and strip them down to emulated fixtures only. (I'd been using 'atmospheric' lights to supplement emulated fixtures, which may have unnecessarily complicated things.)

I'm also going to try your trick of placing small sources outside the fixtures rather than inside. I'm sure Emmanuel will respond in more detail, but there are ways to place sources inside of fixtures and ways to modify objects to include transparent or translucent textures. Unfortunately, neither can be done from within the program; instead, both require manual editing of object definition files.

For instance, to place a light source inside a fixture, you first have to create and save a library of fixture models using the Furniture Library Editor. You then edit fils within the saved library to define the desired light source and place it physically within the model. After making whatever changes and additions are required, you import the library of fixture models, now containing light sources, into your project. Needless to say, it's not a casual undertaking! smile

You can find detailed information on the process in OK Hoff's excellent guide to editing SVG and other furniture properties.

Similarly, to modify textures used in an object, you have a couple choices. If you simply want to replace one known texture with another, you can use the 'Materials' option on the furniture properties window. That way you could replace, say, an opaque white fixture lens with one made from clear or tinted glass. (If you don't already have a translucent texture in your library, you can create a partially transparent PNG of the appropriate color and import it; it can then be applied to the object, again using 'materials.')

If you need to tweak texture properties in a way not supported natively by SH3D -- for instance, to modify the opacity or index of refraction -- you can do so by exporting the object in OBJ format (which will also cause an accompanying MTL texture-definition file to be exported), edit the MTL file, and import the modified OBJ/MTL definition into your project. You can find information on the process in this thread and information on the format and syntax of the MTL file here. Note that only a few MTL variables are supported -- namely those identified in this piece of source code, lines 1667 through 1758.

(Emmanuel : Any chance of getting map_d added to the next release? That would allow for support of frosted glass textures. I thought I'd managed to jury-rig a workaround using map_Kd and some cleaver-ish PNGs, but I discovered it works only under limited conditions. I keep telling myself I'm going to build myself a custom version with map_d support -- but then I think, "who am I kidding?")

Again, not all that intuitive a method for tweaking textures -- and, based upon your results, one that may not be all that necessary in most instances. Again, thanks for your detailed response -- I'm off to emulate your techniques in my current project!

Maz
[Dec 31, 2015, 11:25:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Thanks smile - it is very good to know that it can be of use.

Stunning renderings - and great documentation of possible quality. The interest taken in rendering is fascinating.

I agree that good pictures are very valuable, but I admit that I rarely have the patience to bother much. Which is why I want to stress that making reasonably good renderings - good enough - is possible without too much effort. Below is a real life example. Top is a rendering from a month or so ago depicting how a room could look with changed room layout, new tiles and walls - and a few pieces of furniture. Room just finished, so I popped down yesterday to take a real life picture (bottom image). As you can see, the rendering from the plan is far from perfect (and I did change the hue and brightness a bit). BUT it still gives a pretty good impression of what the room would look like. Point is, even simple renderings can be good enough to plan a room.

This was one of the images/videos used by the builders and ourselves to get what we wanted. In short, SH3D proved extremely useful in the reconstruction process. Every piece of wire and plumbing in the walls/floors/ceilings were also meticulously inserted in SH3D. And electricians and plumbers ran around with SH3D printouts as maps.

ok
[Jan 2, 2016, 10:10:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Any chance of getting map_d added to the next release?
I fear it won't happen soon. As you noticed, the workaround consists of using a precomputed transparent PNG, something that shouldn't be too difficult. Don't hesitate to share your attempts if you try it.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Puybaret at Jan 5, 2016, 2:24:20 PM]
[Jan 5, 2016, 12:56:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved