Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 16
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 19116 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
ittay

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Imported furniture libraries don't show up

Hi people,
and thanks so much for this amazing creation!

I've been trying to import model libraries from various sources including the ones on http://www.sweethome3d.com/importModels.jsp#ModelsLibraries.

After selecting a .zip I soon get a message saying library was successfully imported and new models can be found in the catalog, which indeed seems to refresh.

However, not a single new object actually shows up in the catalog.

some more info:
* If I try importing the same zip again, I get a msg saying that the library already exist..!
* I tried zipping together some zips not in my catalog yet, and importing as library - exact same behavior as above, on first and subsequent attempts.
* Then I load each of those models (zip=obj+mtl) separately with import wizard and all new models show up perfectly!
* The successful-unsuccessful importing of libraries never asks me for their category or anything else - is this OK?
* The "import furniture library" dialog initially masks "Furniture Libraries" only, so I switch to "All Files" and select a .zip - is this OK?
* I am not quite sure whether all objects now visible in my catalog are the ones that came with sh3d installation, or whether an import of libraries did work until a certain stage.
* Shutting & restarting all instances of sh3d does not change the problem.
[Jan 20, 2016, 1:02:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ankafuks

angry Re: Imported furniture libraries don't show up

Hi,
I've got the same problem.
I would be very grateful for your quick response.
I download libraries, import them. THe communicate syas that library was succesfully imported but none of new models show up.
[Jan 21, 2016, 7:20:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: Imported furniture libraries don't show up

Did you try to unzip (extract) the sh3f from the compressed file first?

Use Help-About-Libraries to see which libraries are available. Clicking on the library should take you to the folder where the libraries are stored.

Different OS may behave differently, but under Win 8.1 it seems importing a .sh3f file that is contained in a zip file, reports as being imported without actually being available in SH3D. Taking the .sh3f file out of the containing .zip, and then importing it, works. (Admittedly this is a bit confusing, because .sh3f is also compressed, but with a .sh3f file extension - but that is the way it should).

ok
[Jan 22, 2016, 7:49:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

ittay & ankafuks, what version of the program do you use?
If you use the Mac App Store or Amazon versions, importing the libraries won't have any visible effect, since all the free models are already available with those versions.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jan 22, 2016, 12:04:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ittay

OK, I unzipped, and then imported the .sh3f - seems to work fine,
thanks for that!

If .sh3f is the only way to import multiple models into SH3D, it would be nice to be able to import single models in batch, by looping through the single model import process.

In any case to clarify things a bit I suggest (at least) renaming the mask in the Open File dialog from "Furniture Libraries" to "*.sh3f - "SH3D Furniture Libraries"; and preferably fixing the false-positive that allows and deems "successful" the "import" of actually incompatible / unloadable model libraries.
[Jan 22, 2016, 2:52:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TomFoster

Hello - I too am having trouble, and I can't get any sympathy or help from the SH3D support team...
Every furniture library I download, unzip, and then install does not add any extra furniture in my furniture folders. I have what I've always had; no more.
I've installed by clicking on the file, it says all is okay, but nothing extra is added. I've also tried via importing furniture libraries - same result. I've installed BlendSwap, Contributions, LucaPresidente, Scopia - none have worked.
Can anyone help, please? I'm using Win 10, if that makes a difference.
I'd really like the items you can get on the online version of SH3D

Any help gratefully received. It's a great product otherwise. Shame it doesn't have the items you get in the online version.

Thanks in advance
[Feb 2, 2016, 5:30:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ittay

My conclusion is:

* Apparently the only type of furniture library SH3D can import as such is in its own .sh3f format. The only way to add objects that were not pre-packed as .sh3f is to load them one by one. sad

* When such a sh3f library is zipped or renamed to .zip, it can be imported as a .zip (actually saving you the renaming/unzipping - now ain't that cool?! smile

* However, multiple .obj files zipped together CANNOT be imported together.

* To make things harder SH3D behaves as if it ** is ** importing them, and explicitly says they were imported, when in fact it imports nothing.

* It seems that creating a .sh3f is easy with the Furniture Library Editor (provided in the forums) - but only after you already have the models imported somehow...

Good Luck importing one by one!
[Feb 2, 2016, 10:43:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

I cannot import an *.sh3f file if it is contained in a .zip file. That is, SH3D reports the library as being successfully imported, but all that happens is that SH3D copies the .zip file is dumped in C:\Users\{user}\Application Data\eTeks\Sweet Home 3D\furniture, where it is ignored (i.e. no actual models are available from within SH3D).

There is something else that is strange here.

If I extract a *.sh3f file from the .zip file, both Furniture-Import Furniture Library and double-clicking the .sh3f file, will import the library (and all models) SH3D/Win10. The *.sh3f file is read and placed in C:\Users\{user}\Application Data\eTeks\Sweet Home 3D\furniture. Placing the *.sh3f file manually in the directory, also works (file is read when SH3D restarts).

What does not work under Win10, though, is just opening a file directly with IE (not Edge) like ChangeTextureColors.sh3d (from recent blog post). Then, for some mysterious reason, Win10/IE insists that the file I want to open is ChangeTextureColors[1].sh3d.sh3f.sh3f.sh3t.sh3p. Opening the file directly fails (I assume SH3D recognises the file as plugin and not a plan). Just downloading the same file, also causes the file to save with the wrong file extension. Under IE/Win8.1 the file is correctly opened/save as ChangeTextureColors.sh3d.

It seems Win 10 may have new ways of dealing with file associations and extensions. It may be a separate issue, but it could also be something in Win10 that causes several of these anomalies. I have not checked, but I suppose Win10 defaults to hiding file extensions for known files. In which case, it could be that what is listed as a SH3D file is sent to SH3D with the wrong extension.

It is, by the way, not the first time I have encountered file association issues under Win10, but I just cannot remember exactly what they were. Still going to resist the constant WIN10 upgrade nagging on my primary computer. In fact, I am tempted to kill off the entire upgrade process.

ok
[Feb 3, 2016, 11:32:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ittay

Off Topic:
==========
I am also having file association problems in Win10.
For example double-clicking JPG or PNG files opens the "Open With" dialog even though I have endlessly selected ACDSee (my image browser) and checked "always use this program", and even though the files' icon is rightly assigned to ACDSee. And I have had quite a few crashes. And unwanted shutdowns (!) invoked by "big brother". And less customizability. And an ever growing focus on looks and entertainment and lessening focus on helping you get your serious work done.

So whether to upgrade to Win10 or not, to me this is a very minor question because they are all so very similar, and all-in-all - similarly annoying to me. In my native language (Hebrew) we say it's just "the same lady with a different dress". The only reason I took Win10 is that it came with the laptop and I didn't have enough sentiment for Win7 to waste my time on the free downgrade. Isn't it incredible that the world's leading OS manufacturer feels it needs to offer a downgrade to 10 years backwards on its flagship product?!
[Feb 3, 2016, 9:46:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

And less customizability. And an ever growing focus on looks and entertainment and lessening focus on helping you get your serious work done.
A very pertinent off topic. In fact, it summarises my sentiments exactly. Checked, and Win10 apparently does handle file associations differently. But it did not say why and how, and I could not be bothered to check. And my Win10 computer restarted during dinner anyway (because that "seems like a good time"). ok
[Feb 3, 2016, 9:59:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved