Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4815 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Library Editor won't run under Windows 10

Is there a way to get the Library Editor to run under Windows 10?

I tried the following:
- point the jar file to the Java location in Program Files(x86) (tried java and javaw)
- uninstall and install newest Java (now 1.8.83)
- delete and download newest Library Editor (now 1.18)
- write a .bat script (java -jar FurnitureLibraryEditor-1.18.jar)
- every other tip/trick I could find

Is it possible to write a script so that the jar file starts, just like SH3D starts?

Hans
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Feb 10, 2016, 8:58:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: Library Editor won't run under Windows 10

Both Furniture and Texture Library Editors work directly under my installation of Win 10 (upgrade from 8.1).

However, Win 10 upgrade did mess with several file associations and extensions. Win10 seemingly uses additional ways if deciding how files should open. Or it could be that Edge/Internet Explorer under Win10 has added another (hidden) extension/association to the file during download.

.jar extension here is set to work with Java(TM) Platform SE binary (just like original configuration under Win 8.1).

If that does not work, you could of course try Linux smile

ok
[Feb 10, 2016, 9:34:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Thanks, OK, will try to look for double interpretation of extensions.
I regret having allowed my friend to install Windows 10 on my PC. I was happy with Ubuntu...

Similarly, sh3f files aren't imported correctly. It opens them with SH3D, but doesn't add them to .eteks.

While hunting for a Java solution, I noticed that some files were seen as .zip files in one instance (which they technically are), but were (correctly) identified as SH3D files somewhere else.
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Feb 10, 2016, 10:30:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

...install Windows 10 on my PC. I was happy with Ubuntu...
For very many years I always used a dual boot with both Linux and Windows - and Mac at work. Alas, I rely on some software that cannot be run under Linux, so I ended up using Win almost all the time. But now, on my Win10 computer, I will install Linux too. I need that computer from some tasks, but seem to spend more time on scratching my head over Win10 oddities (and endless upgrades). Just haven't decided on Linux-distro yet.
... sh3f files aren't imported correctly. ... .zip files in one instance (which they technically are), but were (correctly) identified as SH3D files somewhere else.
I think this is a related problem - at least this is my theory so far: When downloading with Win10, both Edge and IE (not Firefox/Opera) add a long range of extensions to the different SH3D files (looks like all extensions associated with SH3D). But only the last one is recognised. So SH3D may think it is getting one kind of file, while in reality getting another.

I have yet to explore exactly what happens, but to begin with I would not let Win Hide known file extensions and look carefully at extensions and file associations in Windows.

ok
[Feb 10, 2016, 11:18:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

In Windows 10, I went to Configuration -> Programs -> Default -> Establish default links (or something similar, I translated from a Dutch Windows version).

I checked that:
- *.jar points to Java SE
This was the case, nevertheless I renewed this default
- *sh3* point to SH3D
It turns out *.sh3t does NOT point to SH3D (the others do). This may explain some of the problems people have when adding texture libraries.

I cannot find other places where I can set these defaults.

I restarted my PC. JAR files still don't start. After double-clicking the jar-file, a window pops up briefly, then disappears. That's all.

H
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Feb 10, 2016, 12:56:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Hans, please try to run the Editor from the command line:
- run cmd
- type java -jar and drag and drop FurnitureLibraryEditor-1.18.jar file in the command window to get its path
- type <Enter>.

If there's a problem, there should be some log that appears in the command window. Please report it here, so I can help you further.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Feb 10, 2016, 1:39:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

This may not solve your specific issue, but just in case, I would still make sure you do not hide known extensions. To give you an example:

If you download userGuideExample.sh3d both IE and Edge (under Win10) will name the file:
userGuideExample[1].sh3d .sh3l .sh3f .sh3t .sh3p
when downloading. Win8.1 keeps the original file name and does not create this mess.

Under Win10 SH3D opens the file, not as a plan (.sh3d) but as a plugin (.sh3p). SH3D puts the file in the plugin directory, reports successful plugin installation (SH3D does not open the plan or show the file in the plugin list - of course, it is not a plugin - the file just fills up ...\Application Data\eTeks\Sweet Home 3D\plugins with no meaning in life).

This gets even more confusing if known extensions are hidden (see Control Panel / Appearance and personalisation / File Explorer Options / View / Hide extensions for known file types). With hidden option on, the LAST of those extensions are concealed from the user. The actual .sh3d file, looks like a .sh3t file (userGuideExample[1].sh3d .sh3l .sh3f .sh3t) and is treated like a .sh3p file.

I did see something about how Win10 has improved features in terms of sniffing out correct file types. I stopped reading, decided to go back to dual boot for my play PC, and not letting Win10 anywhere near a computer used for actual work.

ok
[Feb 10, 2016, 2:00:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

C:\Users\Hans>java -jar C:\Users\Hans\Downloads\FurnitureLibraryEditor-1.18.jar
feb 10, 2016 3:22:42 PM java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferences <init>
WARNING: Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0x80000002. Windows RegCreateKeyEx(...) returned error code 5.

@Emmanuel,
Above what happens when I do as you told.
Result: Library Editor starts correctly. THANK YOU !!!

I have changed my *.bat script so that it includes the path to the file.
Result: DOS window opens with same error message as above; Library Editor starts correctly.
EDIT
Indeed, I can import files in the Library Editor.
Problem: ALL imported .zip files are called "Model", even when all file names are different. (= Scopia/Hausmann windows from 3D models page.)
END EDIT

@OK
- Extensions are visible for all files. I changed this a few weeks ago, and I re-checked today that I did it the correct way.
- If I download your example file, it is shown with the extension .sh3d.
- If I double-click the file, SH3D opens and shows the design.
- improved features? Only improved features in W10 are high blood pressure and bugs.

Hans
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Edit 1 times, last edit by hansmex at Feb 10, 2016, 3:04:08 PM]
[Feb 10, 2016, 2:37:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved