Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 19
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 19163 times and has 18 replies Next Thread
somuchfun

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Landscaping

I have fallen in love with sweethome3d!! I may have found a new career modeling peoples houses for them.

I am buying a new house and until I can move in sometime in March, I am virtually living there in my mocked up model thanks to you!

However, I have a question now that my model is built: is it possible to work "underground"?

One side of my house is level with the ground, but on the other side, the basement is exposed.

Is there a way to model the earth so that my house is even but the earth slopes away?

Thanks!
[Feb 16, 2016, 7:20:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: Landscaping

Searching around in the forum, you should find several threads discussing terrain and landscape. E.g. threads 4817, 6060, SourceForge 3d models ticket 299 and so on. Long and short of it is that you need to use negative level elevation and/or geometric shapes around your house. But some more looking around will probably give you other examples too. ok
[Feb 16, 2016, 7:31:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
somuchfun

thanks...i tried searching for "landscapes" but didn't return what I needed.
[Feb 16, 2016, 8:26:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
somuchfun

This is exactly what I need to do: http://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,6060

But I'm baffled as to how to go about it.

I can create the triangles, but it's having the almost opposite effect that I need.

How is the green "grid" below the triangle in the above thread contouring to the bottom of the triangle?

Also, the triangles in the sourceforge link are "upside down" from my needs...how can I flip them?
[Feb 18, 2016, 3:58:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
somuchfun

wait...I think i get it....

1 giant green triangle larger than my terrain, then a flipped upside-down triangle under the base of my house with appropriate texture on it's sides?
[Feb 18, 2016, 4:02:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Well - there is sort of a disclaimer saying that SH3D is not really landscaping software. So do not expect it to happen automatically...

That said, it is possible to create a landscape around your creation. Exactly how, depends on whether you need a basement or not. It seems you are in an explorer phase - in which case you may not need to read on.

If you are not going to have a basement (negative elevation on the lowest levels), you can just use a triangle (or some other shape) for your terrain (giant triangle).

But a triangle will be visible in the lower levels, so if you need a basement, you need to put your triangles (or other shapes) AROUND the foundation to simulate the terrain.

Here is a, maybe not very elegant (but relatively simple), way of doing it: template_scandinavian.sh3d.

Note that you may want to play with levels (and in-between levels) in addition to some shapes (SF models 299 ) around the house.

ok
[Feb 18, 2016, 5:47:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
somuchfun

Is it possible to flip one of those triangles upside down?

I can only find rotate and "mirror", but that isn't what I need currently.

thanks
[Feb 22, 2016, 9:05:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA

Is it possible to flip one of those triangles upside down?

What you want to do is rotate the triangle model at the point you import it into SH3D. Use the arrows at the stage of importing shown in screen two in this section of the user's guide until the triangle is aligned properly. Name the object something like "Triangle (upside down)" so it's easier to differentiate in the inventory list.
[Feb 22, 2016, 9:56:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

During import (only) you can flip (rotate) the object with the green arrows in the second step. Press Shift to rotate by single degrees. ok
[Feb 22, 2016, 9:59:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
somuchfun

Thanks to you fine people, I was able to make this!!
http://imgur.com/XbLbZ8X

Now all I need to figure out is how to put on a roof!
[Feb 24, 2016, 4:18:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved