Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7281 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
DiabolikHinata

Italia
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
WTF ?!?!

This is driving me crazy!!!! I'm feeling a perfect idiot!!! Where should i found PluginFurnitureCatalog.properties or DefaultFurnitureCatalog.properties and modify them???? confused confused confused confused
[Feb 17, 2016, 10:59:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: WTF ?!?!

A .sh3f file (a furniture catalogue) is a compressed file. It may depend on your toolset and OS, but under Windows you could try this (you may want to make sure that known extensions are not hidden):
- rename the file from .sh3f to zip,
- open the .zip file,
- copy the .properties file out of the .zip,
- edit the .properties file with a text editor,
- copy the .properties file back in to the .zip file,
- rename the .zip file back to .sh3f.

And then you need, of course, to import the .sh3f file to SH3D. You can also have a look at the Guide for SVG Path cut-outs and other furniture properties , especially p. 9 onwards.

Good luck.
[Feb 17, 2016, 11:22:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
DiabolikHinata

Italia

oh, so this should work? ok, i'll try asap. I've already read your guide, the only think i hadn't understood was where to find this "zip" file while mine was a "sh3d" file. Ty so much!
[Feb 17, 2016, 3:03:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
DiabolikHinata

Italia

ty okh, I've tried and obvs it works! :) now, a little more questions.... first of all, how can i tag someone, for example you in this post? sorry for questions that can seem stupid, i'm a new user...
coming back to sh3d, what should i know about mtl? if i want to insert a light attribute, the mtl file doesn't contain it? should i always insert in "pluginfurniturecatalog" lightsource x,y,z,color and diameter to work?

TY again :)
[Feb 17, 2016, 3:42:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Tagging me is not possible, and would not help much anyway. Either I read, or I do not. The short version is: .mtl files or .obj files do NOT contain any lightsorce information. For that you need to access the SH3D specific properties, which are saved in the .sh3f file - let me scribble down the elements:

As for .mtl it stands for material template library - start with something on the Wavefront specs e.g. in Wikipedia if you want to know more. But from your question, you really should not need to know much about .obj and .mtl - except perhaps that the .obj file defines the object and can have a reference to an .mtl file which contains the material properties that should be applied to surfaces. The .mtl file can again link to graphic files (.png .jpg etc) for textures to be applied to the same surfaces. But more important - Wavefront .obj/.mtl do not have properties for light etc.

So to attach a light source (and some of the other properties) to an object, SH3D needs for them to be defined separately. Some of them can be edited with SH3D (like size). Some must be edited from a library collection. This is where the Furniture Library Editor and the .sh3f files come in. Check the download page to find the Furniture Library Editor.

First you import the model in question in the FurnitureLibraryEditor (just dragging and dropping a compatible file will do nicely). Now you can add some more SH3D properties - like cut-out for walls and windows. When this file is saved (.sh3f), it contains a library consisting of the model(s) - and then one file in the top directory that is the catalogue if you like - PluginFurnitureCatalog.properties. To get to that, you need to dig into this file - for instance by following the procedure I described above (renaming .zip, extracting the file, etc etc) - so you can take the file out for editing. An example of what it could look like can be found in DefaultFurnitureCatalog.properties.

There are obligatory and mandatory and optional properties for each object in the library. The full list is of properties can be found here. But the example file is just as useful for us mere mortals.

As for the lightsources, yes they should be given all the light source properties - including their placement in the object (xyz), colour and diameter to work. Note that these properties are totally unforgiving. You place a comma wrong, an extra character or get the number wrong - SH3D (or the library) will not read the object. Look closely or post the properties before you throw your computer out the window.

This exercise can, of course, be a bit frustrating for a non-techie like myself - but it is also not black magic. Some trying and failing (in my case, mostly the latter) will get you there in the end.

Hope this did not add to much to the confusion. Best of luck, it is a lot of fun when it works.

ok
[Feb 17, 2016, 4:42:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
DiabolikHinata

Italia

Confusion?? You have clean every single doubt! So now, i will try, fail and retry!!! Ty so much
[Feb 17, 2016, 6:19:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
HawkDawg
Advanced Member

USA

A .sh3f file (a furniture catalogue) is a compressed file. It may depend on your toolset and OS, but under Windows you could try this (you may want to make sure that known extensions are not hidden):
- rename the file from .sh3f to zip,
- open the .zip file,
- copy the .properties file out of the .zip,
- edit the .properties file with a text editor,
- copy the .properties file back in to the .zip file,
- rename the .zip file back to .sh3f.

And then you need, of course, to import the .sh3f file to SH3D. You can also have a look at the Guide for SVG Path cut-outs and other furniture properties , especially p. 9 onwards.

Good luck.

Just for informative purposes, 7zip (which is free) will open sh3f files, as well as sh3d files, without the need to convert to zip format. wink
----------------------------------------
Hawk
[Feb 26, 2016, 12:07:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA

@HawkDawg
7zip ... will open sh3f files, as well as sh3d files, without the need to convert to zip format.

Thanks - very good to know!
maz
[Feb 26, 2016, 12:17:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved