Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 13
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3484 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
AeowynFraser
Advanced Member

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Unable to open file

I downloaded the update today, and shortly afterward was unable to open my file. I'd try and open my file and in doing so it would shut the program down and I'd get this:

I am on a iMac and my Java is up to date.

I am including a copy of the file which I've downloaded to MediaFire:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/71gg18fflzx...Castle_Redraft_Alt_3.sh3d
----------------------------------------

[Feb 18, 2016, 4:16:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Unable to open file

Ouch! 4.5 GB! It is huge. I'm going to check.
As you reported you had the same problem with the previous version, I guess this has nothing to do with the new version 5.2 released yesterday.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Feb 18, 2016, 8:23:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

I fixed your file. Please download it with the link I sent you by email.
[Feb 18, 2016, 2:24:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
AeowynFraser
Advanced Member

USA

Thank you so much!
I downloaded and opened the file and it came up real quick. I saved it to my computer - replacing the original - and then closed out the program. I then opened clicked on the file and it opened just fine.
I'm just a little curious; why wouldn't it open?

[Feb 18, 2016, 7:21:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Great it works! smile
I guess the program didn't have enough memory to handle such a huge file.
[Feb 18, 2016, 7:32:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
AeowynFraser
Advanced Member

USA

One more question. What should I do to insure that it doesn't happen again?

[Feb 20, 2016, 7:44:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

You may want to purge some of the big objects / textures from your file. 4,5 GB really is enormous. Or to put it differently, biggest SH33D file I ever made was just a couple of MB - 1/1000 of yours. And that had a LOT of detail. It is likely you have some very big objects / textures that you should remove - or just move to another file (temporarily).

Apart from your gut feeling, there is no way of determining where the really big objects are from within SH3D. But you could try to explore a copy of the file to give you a hint. One way of going about that is described in thread 6105.

ok
[Feb 20, 2016, 8:16:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

What should I do to insure that it doesn't happen again?
just use the version 5.2 smile
[Feb 20, 2016, 8:22:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
AeowynFraser
Advanced Member

USA

Thank you, both okh and Puybaret.
I'm currently going through my furniture library to see if deleting some items will help free up some memory in the program. Also, when I save it, I'm clicking on "Save and compress"; after doing that it seems the file is now 29.7 MB. That is smaller than 4.5 GB right? I'm not sure the which is bigger, megabytes or gigabytes.
I have replaced version 5.1 on my computer with version 5.2 so there's no chance of my using the older version for it now.

[Feb 20, 2016, 8:35:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
AeowynFraser
Advanced Member

USA

I had also "fooled around" with modifying floor plans that I'd seen online using the program and saved those to my computer. If I were to delete those, would that help me with avoiding this problem as well?

[Feb 20, 2016, 8:37:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved