Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 17
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6527 times and has 16 replies Next Thread
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Has the renderingprosess been altered i 5.2?

The only similar issue I've seen has had to do with SH3D/SunFlow handling of refraction -- but that at least in part had to do with, once again, Sketchup-to-SH3D issues. Still early in my use of these two programs, I modeled a custom glass-walled shower in Sketchup and exported it for use in SH3D. When rendered with Visitor line-of-sight at an obtuse angle to the shower wall, objects on the other side of the glass would show unrealistic amounts of refraction, often displacing them significantly.

The problem seemed to stem from the way Sketchup handles the surfaces of solids. If I defined each pane of glass as a three-dimensional object -- say, as a rectangular solid 7 feet high by 3 feet wide by 1/4 inch deep -- instead of simply as a face object, dimensionless along the third dimension, the resulting object is actually more like a Thermopane glazing unit (imagine a hollow glass box) than sheet glass. I've yet to look at SunFlow's refraction handling, but it appears refraction is calculated whenever a shot ray crosses a boundary between two objects with different indices of refraction. Depending on how conscientious I was about eliminating all 'default' surface textures, there could be as many as four such boundaries to cross. As best I recall, my fix was simply to avoid generating renders with the shower front aligned at too great an angle from the Visitor line of sight.

(There seemed to be a possible SunFlow issue beyond the unintentionally cumulative effects of refraction, though; at the furthest edges of the glass, the transmitted image was displaced so severely, the shower wall began to look like a fisheye lens.)

Given your windows appear to be stock SH3D models, none of this should apply -- but it might be interesting to replace the windows with service hatches (or set the glass panes to 'invisible') and re-render, just to see if refraction plays a role here.
[Feb 26, 2016, 6:59:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

Interesting thought, that it could be the windows.
The windows are actually imported. Normally I would make my own windows, but I took a shortcut and downloaded these the from the Kolbe-collection.

Hmm...
[Feb 26, 2016, 7:39:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

Well...

with Kolbe windows:

and with service hatch and transparent glass:

seems you have solved the puzzle.

Yuhooo!

Thanks a million smile
[Feb 26, 2016, 7:57:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA

@Ceciliabr

That's great - it's nice to get one right every now and then. wink

I've actually used a lot of Kolbe windows in my current project -- but for the most part they look different from yours because I only recently (as in two days ago) realized many of their models in 3DWarehouse are actually composites incorporating a core window design along with a number of casing options, each with its own layer. Unthinkingly, I'd exported my furniture objects with all layers visible -- and then wondered why the models were so needlessly complex. I'm currently in the process of re-exporting all my windows and doors -- correctly, this time.

Most (all?) Kolbe models are double-glazed, so you might want to try hiding or deleting one of the panes before export; if that doesn't fix things, you could eliminate one pane and replace the other with a single face. This should correct the refraction problem while still supporting reflections.
[Feb 26, 2016, 8:54:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA

Based on the handful of Kolbe models I have on this PC, it appears they use dimensionless panes in the first place.
[Feb 26, 2016, 10:16:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

..the way Sketchup handles the surfaces of solids...
Yes, this bothers me as well. For all the limitations of Sketchup, it is still the quickest way of creating basic objects, like terrains, staircases and windows. (for me, anyway, by the time I have created a model in Blender, I cannot remember what I needed it for).

So, as a total amateur (and non-techie) with limited grasp of the issue, my preliminary solution for quick Sketchup stuff, is to make sure the surfaces are oriented correctly and use one texture for all reverse sides (usually bright pink to check that the orientation of the surfaces are correct). Then I import the .dae to SH3D, and set the reverse sides (pink) to invisible with 5.2 and export to .obj. The SH3D export will then have removed the reverse sides, and the model should be reasonably well behaved. At least I think.

But, I hasten to add that even if the double sided surfaces exported from Sketchup may create some errors in the model (wrong orientation of normals), these models have always behaved perfectly in SH3D with no rendering issues at all. So as long as I make sure to apply the same texture to both sides of Sketchup surfaces, I am not sure I can be bothered to go the extra laps.

ok

@Ceciliabr, ser du har flyttet på Juliette Aristides smile.
[Feb 27, 2016, 12:13:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

@okh

She's a movable object, and had no objections to a temporary vacation by the Shuangtuozi-bay.

Dette projekt var kun tænkt som en tutorial for min nabo. Han ville ha en gennemgang av hvordan at bruge atmosfærer, dvs stående transparenter, og så havde han helt glemt hvordan man placerer en sol på himlen.

Jepp!
[Feb 27, 2016, 3:11:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved