Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 10
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11918 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Gallery

Sweet Home 3D has a ground plane that covers 2520000 m2 (correct me if I'm wrong), and I suppose it's meant to be used.
So I've used it.

This project shows an old hunters cabin placed by a dark lake in the desolate mountain highlands of Norway – a good hunting place, but also a place where trolls and hobgoblins are lurking and trees refuse to grow.

There are two parts:

1) The original cabin – as I think it could have appeared fifty years ago
2) The cabin today – redecorated and transformed into a writers resort – a place where I could spend months writing... if I hadn't been so scared of the dark.

The images are straight-outta-the-box renderings – only rescaled from 2k to 1280, and not tampered with in any way.

Terrains and skies are made with Vue eXtreme, filters are made in Photoshop, and most of the 3D models are made with Poser Pro and SH3D. A few models are imported, like the sink, some kithen furniture, the windows and the "Landy" ( The Landy is a -68 model, my favorite car btw, and I would have one if I only could come up with a probable excuse for buying one)

http://ceciliabr.com/UglyCabin/

Click the "View Gallery"-button for full size images.

Cec
[Apr 18, 2016, 12:45:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark
Re: Gallery

I'm correcting myself: 7830000 m2 is closer to the fact.
[Apr 18, 2016, 1:00:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SnakeGB

Wow, very impressive, could just picture myself being there
[Apr 18, 2016, 1:52:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Yikes, what an ugly cabin... ;-)
Impressive how you can devote so much time and effort to something so ugly.

H
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Apr 18, 2016, 2:01:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

What a project!

A good friend once lived in an ugly building in a beautiful neighbourhood. His point was always that he'd rather sit inside the ugly building and look at the beautiful surroundings than the other way around.

That said - I am not sure I think the cabin is ugly - actually it has a certain charm. Extremely functional and simple - unpretentious. And what the cabin may lack in terms of architectural finesse is certainly made up for by the surroundings. And your presentation is beautiful...

What intrigues me, though, is where the electricity comes from...? (see thread 5826 - off grid).

ok
[Apr 18, 2016, 2:59:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

@okh

you will see where the electricity comes from if you look closely.

It comes from a KIPOR KDE 37S PRO X DIESEL GENERATOR standing in the shed.

It's a dream palace for a writer.

I have always had this image of myself as a writer – a novelist – a dedicated, lonesome soul sitting in a desolate cabin in the mountains, writing about… well, anything – the subject is really not important to me. What’s important is to explore the different layers that I can find in everyday trivialities – in depicting them – in telling stories about nothing, and still be able to keep an audience.

Maybe in my next life...

cec
[Apr 18, 2016, 4:01:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

@ Hans
Well, devotion is a good thing, and besides; I'm left with plenty of experience after undertaking such a project... and( for the record) it really didn't take much time. You see, I never watch TV.

It was my stepdaughter (7) who named it "The Ugly Cabin", and the title stuck to the project. I myself find it charming.javascript:smilie('smile')

cec
[Apr 18, 2016, 4:15:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
VeroniQ
Advanced Member

France

Whaou ! Congratulations ! What a place, very inspiring ! I would love also to spend some times there but I wouldn't mind some 10 degrees more. And I am a little bit sad that Brigitte Bardot has deseapeared in the 2016 version. (Maybe the temperature would increase ?!)
[Apr 18, 2016, 4:22:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

.. – a place where I could spend months writing... if I hadn't been so scared of the dark.
Darkness should not be much of a problem May through July smile, or scary creatures for that matter. If you do not count midges, that is.

Hard to imagine a better place to write or just think. But in order to maintain the full sensory pleasures, you could consider ditching the generator, though. No matter how silent, it will interrupt your contemplation and disturb your nostrils with a faint smell of diesel. Solar + fuel cell + firewood + gas should do the trick; no sound except the sound of burning wood.

Actually the image below (despite the inferior rendering...) was inspired by a very similar location in real life. Albeit a three hour walk from the nearest road. The cabin itself was very simple, but it was fully equipped with fridges (gas), sauna (firewood), running water (from a stream above heated in the wood stove). Alas, the location was beyond even a Land Rover, so provisions was a challenge.

ok
[Apr 19, 2016, 8:44:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

Midges are scary, but the don't like wind, and they don't like people that eat a lot of vitamin B.
Funny thing is, after living in one of the noisiest places in Oslo for ten years, I find the silence a bit disturbing. I miss the sound of the city, and I miss being able to look down on a busy street, observing people acting strange, funny attempts to park a car… things like that.

The generator is a good backup for rainy days and long nights.

I've looked at your project and I see the challenges with all the heavy parts needing be transported by helicopter. It's a matter of cost, obviously, but with careful planning, you could get everything in place with just one lift.

The Ugly Cabin has a rainwater tank and a freshwater tank and a sand filter trench that takes care of the wastewater from the kitchen and the bathroom, but the outhouse is still standing in 2016 :)

cec
[Apr 19, 2016, 9:31:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved