Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 44
Posts: 44   Pages: 5   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 218811 times and has 43 replies Next Thread
okh
Advanced Member

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Sweet Home 3D 5.3

.. just to make sure, I tried beta 11 (already tried a previous version) on Win 10 Home 64 with no problems (but with an initial memory usage spike much higher than I have been used to). So it appears the combination 8.1 (and lower specs) + beta 11 was the problem on my machine. ok
[Nov 8, 2016, 9:51:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

The version 5.3 Beta 12 fixes small errors that were still happening on Home.xml entry in .sh3d files.

After running some write/read tests on hundreds of files, I'm now much more confident in how the new file format is handled in this beta version, and a final release should come soon. This version comes also with the final version of Java3D 1.6.0 that Harvey Harrison released yesterday. Many thanks to him smile

okh, I'm quite bothered by your report because you're the first Windows user to report a regression. Can you also check whether the version 5.3 Beta 6 works or fails?

dorin, thanks for your suggestions, but I won't place license files anywhere else, just to be sure that they are not ignored. If some users don't like it, then they shouldn't use free software.
Can you quickly describe the changes in the furniture library you proposed? I tried to compare the .properties file with the one in the current one, but furniture was reordered making it too difficult to track the modifications.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Puybaret at Nov 16, 2016, 11:10:22 PM]
[Nov 8, 2016, 12:06:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

okh, I'm quite bothered by your report because you're the first Windows user to report a regression. Can you also check whether the version 5.3 Beta 6 works or fails?
Yes, it was a bit worrying. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. I hope it is a quirk with this machine. On the other hand, it is the first time ever I have come across an issue og any significance with SH3D beta releases...

Yes, I can try to install beta 6, but I dare not do it until after work tonight or tomorrow (don't take a chance on interruptions at work). Meanwhile I have sent you (a link to) the dump file in case that may be of help. ok
[Nov 8, 2016, 1:04:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Here goes - short answer is beta 6 did work - long answer is:

Most strange: results under Win 8.1, 32 bit, 2GB memory - and a sluggish little processor.

BETA 6: Tried SweetHome3D-5.3.beta6-windows.exe and it worked - loaded a reasonably big .sh3d file (2MB), no problem. Closed SH3D and noticed that my WiFi connection was killed (???) and no networks visible where there should have been five +.

BETA 12: Tried SweetHome3D-5.3.beta12-windows.exe, splash screen appears, then nothing. Windows Explorer goes bananas and maxes out the processor while trying to start SH3D. Still nothing. But my WiFi connection is still intact... The Java process just hangs there without getting any further.

So yes, it appears to be something between beta 6 and 11.

I reinstalled 5.2a - and it works as expected, but Windows Explorer going at full capacity at start (and killing the WiFi again, reboot required to get it back, grrr).

Uploaded new dump file from BETA 12 if it can be of help. Btw - I did update Java between the two unsucessful beta 11 atttempts yesterday, but that did not make a difference. Note that the WiFi connections could be connected to something else in the OS, and that it is Win Explorer that takes the WiFi down when resetting - it has happened before that the WiFi goes down when Win Explorer gets into trouble. It is almost as if the later versions maxes out the OS/Win Explorer.

Sorry for the unscientific reporting, but limited technical skills prevent reporting more. As you will have figured, the installation was done on the ASUS tablet thingy with limited resources (but lovely all the same) - maybe the little thing is just overwhelmed...

ok
[Nov 8, 2016, 4:27:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

FIRST: I like opensource and free software. I hope this great piece of software remain free.
About licences files I've suggest to be grouped in a folder NOT deleted but is only my way to organize files.
Second: On Default Furniture I don't exclude/add no piece.
All I do was to rearrange them with ads of FurnitureLibraryEditor 1.19 and FurnitureLibraryEditorWithID-1.14 to preserve all the characteristics.
As result is a folder for every furniture with .obj .mlt files.The .propreties files was generated accordingly.
Then I've edit by hand the 2 .propreties files to add for every furniture the missing specifications.
I verify every .obj files by import them in AOI and correct them when necessarily(only 3 or 4).
Also I add 2 new category:
-Geometry (for basic geometric objects)
-Decorations (for plants, carpets, paints etc.)
I suppose also I've make some mistakes not intentionally.
I test now v5.3beta12 linux64 on debian strech and work batter then b11.
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[Nov 8, 2016, 6:46:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

The version 5.3 Beta 13 fixes the error reported by okh when the beta version was installed with no previous beta still installed.

Thanks okh for your report, and sorry for any inconvenience.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Puybaret at Nov 16, 2016, 11:10:41 PM]
[Nov 12, 2016, 3:11:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Did a quick try. Version 5.3 Beta 13 Java version 1.8.0_51 / 32 bit / 0.6 GB max - Under Win 8.1 32 bit (underpowered little Asus).

First attempt - everything starts normally. Load a 2,1 MB compressed file. Make a couple of random changes. Have lots of other programs open at the same time. Everything looks normal. Answer another e-mail and when I return to SH3D, it freezes and my WiFi connection is killed again (most strange).

I kill the Java/SH3D process, close some of the other software running, and try to recreate the crash with no success. SH3D seems to run normally. Will try more later, but it can have been coincidence / some sort of overload.

ok

PS - one other little thing, on both attempts, I get a very large spacing between the items in the searchable catalogue list when I resize the furniture side-bar (not before). Note that I have lots of private catalogue items with many 'extra' properties in the .sh3f files that fill up many lines when displayed in the searchable list. Sent you a screen-shot.
[Nov 12, 2016, 4:14:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
D5KjC6RC

After several issues with SH3D 5.2 on Linux (Graphical issues and crashes with WebStart, long startup time with installer), I'm glad to see after some testing that the 5.3 release supposes to be much stabler on Linux.
I can confirm the notable performance decrease - although more related to the plan instead to 3D. In fact, it's not really usable anymore from an UX perspective. So I'll unfortunately have to continue with 5.2 for now

However, awesome product!
[Nov 15, 2016, 11:09:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

The version 5.3 Beta 14 comes with the following features/fixes:
- Textures coordinates on floor borders are computed differently to ensure textures are always showed correctly: textures are now mapped from bottom to top and starting at each room point.
- Selected items are kept visible in the plan when Zoom in or Zoom out tools are used.
- Scale and origin of an imported background image are initialized from the values of the image available at previous or next level when it exists.
- When a background image is used, walls are painted with a half transparent pattern while drawing them or while placing doors and windows.

Final version 5.3 should come soon smile

Okh, your WiFi connection malfunction is strange. Sweet Home 3D doesn't use Internet except at start to check if there's a new version. Could you disable updates check in preferences to see if it behaves better? The extra spacing you report in the catalog must come from the long information you set on one item.

D5KjC6RC, thanks for your feedback, even if your report is worrying. If you feel that version 5.3 beta isn't usable, I wonder if I should use Java3D 1.6.0 or not. But as you think that slowness doesn't come from the 3D part, I'll see if it comes from the Java version itself.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Puybaret at Nov 16, 2016, 11:11:13 PM]
[Nov 15, 2016, 7:45:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Under Mint 18 the program opens, displays an error message concerning some error in de 3D rendering system, and tells me to update my DirectX/OpelGL drivers, then closes.

Using the Jar version displays the same message.

Version 5.2 runs without problems.
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Nov 15, 2016, 10:52:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 44   Pages: 5   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved