Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 23
Posts: 23   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 33012 times and has 22 replies Next Thread
AraiBob

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: How to get Sweet Home 3D working on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS?

Any advice on how to fix this... I wonder if it might just fix my issue(s) with SH3D?

Setting up gxine (0.5.908-3.1ubuntu1) ...
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
dpkg: error processing package gxine (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 139
Setting up xine-ui (0.99.9-1.2) ...
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
dpkg: error processing package xine-ui (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 139
Errors were encountered while processing:
gxine
xine-ui
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
[Aug 8, 2016, 4:56:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adlerhn

Europe

I am no expert, but I don't think that error has anything to do with SH3D.
[Aug 9, 2016, 1:46:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bwechner

Australia

On Mint 17.3 it installs fine from the package repository and also the downloadable file unpacks and runs fine (though isn't installed properly).

The GUI looks a tad poor though, mainly the fonts aren't slick on menus and the furniture menus on left have odd shading behind the words.

Worse, if you maximize the window (which I do) then the menus go oddball. That is, you can click on the File menu for example but let go of the mouse button and the menu disappears. So I have to hold the mouse button down and then drag down the menu. When I do that the menu selection highlighting lags behind the mouse pointer, about 3 lines above it. Totally weird and not real usable.

Turns out if I don't maximize the window but resize it manually as large as I can, I get same aberrant behaviour.

What it reminds me of deeply is X screen scaling issues with multiple monitors. I wrote a config utility so I could use a tablet with Mint because of this very reminiscent reason. It's here out of interest:

https://github.com/bernd-wechner/tablet-config

and as it happens I have a monitor above the one I'm using (conceptually, in practice not, as it's not on - as it happens it's a projector, but positioned above this screen in the X screen space) and this sort of lag is what happens with a table pen when it's beside the screen - only in the left-right sense - because the pen coordinates are in X monitor space and mapped into X screen space ... aaargh. xrandr can fix that.

But this appears to be a stock standard Java application and loads of those run just fine on Mint 17.3 and my machine so really it points to some coding glitch IMO.
[Aug 22, 2016, 12:02:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Siment

I guess you all have and AMD-chipset based graphic card. I had the exact same problem on 2 PC's running 16.04 and neither would run SH3D. However, I changed for an nVidia one, and it now works flawlessly.

It must have to do with the dropped support for 3D drivers, and the fall-back to default X.org.

Just my 2cents.
[Sep 7, 2016, 4:26:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
geetee

new zealand

Well - I just changed to a Radeon card which according to the Ubuntu website is fully supported (and disabled AMD graphics in BIOS) .

Doesn't help - application opens perfectly, everything looks good, then it closes down - happens fast, no error message , maybe as soon as the 3D render starts.

May try Mint on this box. Works on Mint 17 on another with AMD chipset - seems strange. No graphics problems with any other app.
[Sep 15, 2016, 11:12:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dgbutterworth

Me too! I cannot get SH3D to run using the installer. I'm running Mint 17.3. (I also had the problem on 17.2, before upgrading.)

When I run the installer, the splash (3 in x 3 in graphic) for SH3D appears on the screen, then ... nothing. The splash just stays there (and gets in the way) - until I reboot or I open "system monitor" and kill the "java..." process that was started (and continues) from executing the installer.

I can run (and use!) webstart version! But I'd really like to use some of the new (and older) add-ons that will only run on the local version. So I've been fiddling, but unsuccessfully. I have some other ideas, but I don't know enough to continue (really - I know very little, but that doesn't stop me). I'd love some help.

Here is some background:
Mint 17.3,
nVidia graphics,
installed default Java version: "1.7.0_80" (Oracle),
(also have version "1.8.0_101" installed - webstart works with either java version, version "1.9.xx" is also now available, but I don't think this will make a difference under my current circumstances - see below).

As i understand, the installer is setup to use it's own portable JRE (version 6). I also understand that the installer uses a sweethome3d.jar that is not "a full Jar executable" (see http://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,6817)

A full Jar executable file can (I understand) be found here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sweethome3d/f...etHome3D-5.2.jar/download
(again, see thread: http://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,6817)

If I wanted to try "installation" of SH3D using the full jar and my system java version - how do I go about it? (Or would I actually be "running" SHD3 this way? - I have only a vague understanding of what's really happening with the .jar file)

The "full .jar" solution seems to have worked in thread http://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,6817

It seems that some (simple?) modification of the installer file would do the trick - but this is way above my pay grade (at this time - I'm bucking for a promotion to a higher pay grade!)

I'm pretty green with Linux, complete green with java, but I pretend to have a clue.

Thanks for your help!

Great program!
[Sep 17, 2016, 9:51:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Maybe Mint 17.3 has some problems similar to Ubuntu 16.04 (it's more and more difficult to follow Linux variants sad), and I hope the fix I tried on my side will work for you too. Be patient, a beta version should be available soon.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Sep 20, 2016, 5:19:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

After using Ubuntu for years, I was finally fed up with the hassle needed to run SH3D.
I switched to Mint 18 recently, and SH3D ran without problem.

Still, a solution for Ubuntu would be appreciated.

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Sep 20, 2016, 9:51:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Please try the version 5.3 beta 7 available here.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Oct 20, 2016, 12:06:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
geetee

new zealand

I have upgraded from Ubuntu 16.04 to 16.10, nite works fine with same video card. I reinstalled from Ubuntu software centre, then upgraded to latest version. Trying to install from Sweet home release directly gave a lot of grief. I am an experienced user and maybe it's because of other tweaks, but whichever system Sweet home has been in it really doesn't play very nicely in Debian systems; it needs a good hacker to spend time with it and get it in a good repository, and latest version. It's a great program but an effort to get working and up to date. Anyway I now have it running in Mint 17, Ubuntu 16.10 and Ubuntu 14.04.
[Oct 22, 2016, 10:10:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 23   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved