Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 12
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 15281 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
mirakels

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
textures and resizing objects

I have an issue with textures. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong.
This is what I see:

I have this image showing 3x2 roof tiles. The tiles are 35 cm high and 26 cm wide.
So the image is 78x70 cm in real life. See first two images.

I select a roof object and in image 3 and 4 change materials to this rooftile texture.

The object is 2m wide, 5.25m deep and 3.925m high, making the.
sloped surface around 6.57 meters long (sqrt(5.25^2+3.925^2)).
So horizontally I would expect to see 200/26 = 8 rooftiles
and vertically 657/35 = 19 rooftiles. However image 5 shows 12x25 tiles.

In image 6 I make the roof 2 times the width and would expect to see more tiles.
Instead it seems the tiles are scaled to still show 12x25 tiles.

Changing the general texture instead of materials gives a different behaviour.
Image 7 shows 8x25 tiles. So horizontally it is ok but vertically it is not.

Making the roof wider again in this case again shows the correct number of tiles
horizontally. So in this case the tiles are not scaled.

[Jul 1, 2016, 3:58:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Miker777
Advanced Member

UK
Re: textures and resizing objects

hi mirakels, sorry i cannot help you on sorting this issue, but if you do suss it out i would love to know how, roof textures are a pain and can ruin a design.
[Jul 3, 2016, 6:22:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mirakels

Hi Miker777, I posted here cause I don't know how to solve this. So I'm counting on the experienced users/developers... blushing
[Jul 6, 2016, 6:32:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alaX

Poland

Did you create this roof yourself? You should apply final texture(its size determines number of texture tiles) before you export your model.

With already imported models I think it works this way:

"Materials" option doesn't change original mapping (including number of tiles), new texture image replaces original one but takes its properties, such as tile size and proportions (square image is stretched and/or squeezed if original tile is rectangular etc.).

"Textures" option ignores original mapping(number of tiles depends on new texture size and model size), but applies texture to each part of model. Texture might be distorted if "face" is not parallel to front or top side of bounding box - I think that's why you have too many tiles vertically.

But I could be wrong...
[Jul 6, 2016, 7:38:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mirakels

Hi Alex, yes, It could be that the material textures are handled in this way, and that this normally is the proper way to do it. On the other hand I can imagine shapes that are resized for which you don't want the textures to be resized along with it.

For instance I used the box object and resized it to make it occupy a specific area as a raised floor. Then I applied a texture on the top of the box and it looked awfull because the textures was completely blown up.

I think an extra option to each object material may be useful to allow it to resize the texture or not with resizing the object, but just replicate the pattern.

Oh, The roof elements are from the "Roof BNL" set made by Ola-kristian Hoff.
[Jul 6, 2016, 8:46:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Oh, The roof elements are from the "Roof BNL" set made by Ola-kristian Hoff.
Ah yes, it did look familiar. Now, it has been a while, and I cannot find the original model. It was for a specific house using several roof models next to each other (grouped) instead of stretching the roof.

So if I remember correctly, issue comes from the way the textures are defined for the roof surface in the model, there is a set number of texture tiles and they will stretch with model. I think, the original was intended for the roof (at original size) to use a texture 60×60. The advantage of the tiles being locked that way is that the texture will align with surface edges so you do not end up with half tiles. Maybe I miss something in what you wrote, but did you try changing the texture you use?

If you tile the texture (with the GIMP or some other editing software), you should get more tiles on the same surface.

ok

PS - yes, there is a difference in how SH3D treats textures depending on whether a texture is applied to the model as such, or to defined surfaces.
[Jul 7, 2016, 11:27:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Suddenly occurred to me where I put the model. Changed that specific element. See new post in SF Models 330 . Posted one that does not stretch the texture. However, I do not feel like doing that with all the different roof elements (for various reasons).

roof_bnl_notxt.zip

ok
[Jul 7, 2016, 12:00:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mirakels

Thanks okh, will have a look at it later on.

PS: what tool do you use to create these models?
I like to add another small change ;) the bottom part of the roof element now extends vertically with the white border. I'd like to have them with the roof tiles going all the way down, so basically cutting of the small border triangle at the bottom. (hope you understand what I mean...)
[Jul 7, 2016, 12:21:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

...roof tiles going all the way down, so basically cutting of the small border triangle at the bottom. (hope you understand what I mean...)
Not sure. The roof modules were hastily designed and kept simple for a very specific building. Simple elements that do not have too much geometry to interfere when combining sections. That, of course, means a couple of compromises - and lack of elegance and detail.

If I get your point, your alternative would be something like this (same thread SF):
roof_bnl_special_notxt.zip

But it is no longer a match with the other roof elements...

ok

PS Basic geometry like this can be made with pretty much any tool - including the Generate 3D shape plugin (see thread 6600) - or even by drawing walls in SH3D, exporting as .obj and import/rotate.
[Jul 7, 2016, 1:07:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
HawkDawg
Advanced Member

USA

This thread may be of some help to you in creating a roof.

http://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,5100

There's also this tutorial by Hans Dirkse.

http://www.sweethome3d.com/slopingCeilingGuide.pdf
----------------------------------------
Hawk
[Jul 8, 2016, 1:27:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved