Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 2
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3951 times and has 1 reply Next Thread
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
One more export issue

Emmanuel -

I've opened ticket #688 on SH3D's Furniture > Export imported furniture to SH3F function. While it's almost certainly caused by the issue documented on ticket #686, I decided to open a ticket, just in case. Once again, exported object models contain resized texture image files...

...and, once again, the seeming workaround appears to be to replace the altered textures with the originals, either in the furniture library or in the exported model, as applicable. However, as I've yet to be able to locate where in the source code this resizing takes place, I was wondering if possibly in SH3D's internal data model, *all* textures have been resized to the nearest multiple of 128, 256, or 512. If so, then this is a much larger issue than resize on export would be.

Thanks,
Maz
[Jul 10, 2016, 12:49:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: One more export issue

Emmanuel -

As the notes on tickets 686 and 688 mention, this resizing of texture files was a requirement of Java3D prior to version 1.5, and it remains the default behavior. While disabling the use of powers-of-two textures is a trivial change, requiring the setting of a single TextureLoader flag, determining whether the user's system can support a non-power-of-two texture is far less straightforward. The other alternative -- keeping two textures on-hand and selecting the appropriate one as needed -- is far from trivial, requiring modifications to a number of SH3d components. I'm starting to believe the easiest fix is simply to document this behavior, leaving it to the user whether or not to rescale his or her texture to a power of two. (This is the approach I plan to adopt on those rare occasions SH3D's resizing is apparent.)

At some point (perhaps even now?) any graphics card not supporting a NPOT texture will have presumably been aged out of the population, and NOPT textures enabled by default.

Thanks,
maz

P.S. I still haven't the faintest idea why the illumination model isn't exported correctly, unless for some reason isIlluminationModelSet is being incorrectly set for models without an explicit illumination model -- but that doesn't strike me as likely.
[Jul 28, 2016, 8:43:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved