Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 10
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11615 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
mirakels

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Half landing stairs

I have used the half landing staircase surrounded by 3 walls. But the baluster/handrail on the outside do not look nice against the walls.

With the possibility to make parts of furniture invisible it would be nice to be able to make the outer baluster/handrails invisible. Unfortunately making them invisible also make the inside baluster invisible.

@okh: I see you created this nice stairs. Any change to update the model and separate the baluster/handrails in inner and outer ones so we can control them separately?

Thanks!
[Jul 11, 2016, 4:49:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bdfd
Advanced Member

Western Europa
Re: Half landing stairs

HI,
Did you try to enlarge the stairs to the outer balustrade disappeared into the walls ?
----------------------------------------
Evil progresses when good people do nothing!
---
SH3D 7.1 and nothing else - W11 64b in 4K
[Jul 11, 2016, 6:12:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mirakels

yes partly. But note there is a window in one wall...
[Jul 11, 2016, 10:23:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
santbose

India

Hi Mirakels,

BDFD is correct. Why don't you put the window in the upper level and push the handrails into the walls. If you go for invisible option then the entire handrail will be invisible.
[Jul 12, 2016, 9:31:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Here's a second version of this half landing staircase with different materials for the exterior balusters/handrails. Don't forget to select the Staircase option when you'll import it.
Attachment staircase_180_landing_2.zip (26171 bytes) (Download count: 2345) (Half landing staircase with different materials for handrails/balusters)

Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jul 12, 2016, 10:34:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

@okh: I see you created this nice stairs. Any change to update the model and separate the baluster/handrails in inner and outer ones
I see Puybaret beat me to it and modified the elements to exterior/interior railings. Nice.

However, I also looked at the original model which has eight different textures mapped and there are eleven staircases based on the same template. The tricky thing is to figure out which parts to make customisable without over-complicating the model.

So while the separate inside/outside solution will address one solution, I suspect there are lots of other varieties that may different customisation. In addition to Pubaret's inside/outside solution above, I throw in a couple of other versions that may be useful for different needs.

staircase_180_landing_00_half.zip
staircase_180_landing_00_special.zip
stairs_half.sh3d

ok
[Jul 12, 2016, 11:13:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Actually, now that I think about it, the half-staircase should of course also have separately textured right/left ballusters/handrails. Put the alternatives + errata in SF 3d models 396: with the new staircase_180_landing_00_half_sep_tex.zip.

While I am not convinced it is worth the trouble to change every staircase model to have all options for customisation, it kind of makes sense with the half-staircase - made for use with a landing (just use a box, or a separate Mezzanine level with a floor). The advantage of this, is that it is possible to "build" a lot of different staircases with landings. Even if having every conceivable staircase available for SH3D is unrealistic, this approach and the current standard models, should provide a good range of options.

One problem with this small staircase, is that even if it is imported as a staircase, it will not cut out the floor above until it is raised to ceiling level. To achieve "normal" staircase behaviour, build the staircase with two (or more) half staircases + landing - adjust levels and dimensions - group and import / export as staircase (or use the Furniture Library Editor for the collated model and create a custom cut-out to satisfy the normal headroom requirement over tread: > 200-210 cm.

Using several half staircases in combination may be slightly more complicated, but it is more flexible and also solves the problem that has been annoying me, namely maintaining correct proportions when scaling a turning staircase, i.e.
- angle 17°-42° (30°-36° normal),
- thread depth (going): 30 - 40 cm (> 25) + nosing,
- run/rise ratio (StepRise × 2 + Tread = 62 ±2 cm),
- width curved staircase: > 90 cm (80 cm for straight),
- and so on.

Making staircase models can be quite challenging if you want to ensure basic (not to mention legal) requirements. Many of the SH3D staircase models should be close to generic/prefabricated staircases and generally comply with normal proportions when used in normal scale. Even so, there is no guarantee that the models will satisfy local building requirements. So please do check.

staircase_180_landing_00_half_sep_tex.zip

ok

See also Blog: How to customize staircases and misc. staircase threads, like 6195.
[Jul 12, 2016, 2:15:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Note to @Puybaret - the model appears to be working well with SH3D in my quick tests, but as I tried to keep an eye on the correct ratios/angles, I forgot to adjust height to your standard SH3D staircase dimensions (probably not a big a problem for anyone building with several elements). However, I also forgot to check for wrongly oriented normals in the model(s). Sorry.
[Jul 12, 2016, 2:37:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mirakels

Wow, thanks guys. This is greatly appreciated!
It looks very nice now in my 'design'
[Jul 12, 2016, 3:31:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

..looks very nice now in my 'design'...
Good. Getting feedback on models is nice. Keep posting. Sometimes it is pretty hard to imagine how models will be used. Good luck with your project. ok
[Jul 12, 2016, 3:45:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved