Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9116 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
orthogonally SH3D

So, here's what I've been working on the past couple of months. It's been another Project That Wouldn't Die -- but I think I'm finally done.

view full size

A few months ago, a SH3D user contacted me here about possibly creating some custom models for a project she had underway. (Earlier, I'd pointed her toward several sites where I thought she might find what she needed, ready-made, but she had been right: The items she needed -- various pieces of equipment used in making jewelry -- were obscure enough not to be represented in any of the major model repositories.) At the time, I had just finished -- or so I thought! -- a paper on best practices for adapting and making use of Sketchup-originated models in SH3D. I figured this would be a milk run, pounding out a couple of dozen models primarily in Sketchup as a final sanity check on my document.

Fast forward to today, several months into this month-long project. My once-again unfinished paper has more than doubled in length, taking into account a whole range of edge cases and unexpected behaviors not considered in the original draft. (Fortunately, nearly half of it applies only to those wishing to create and share SH3D furniture libraries -- .sh3f files -- containing Sketchup-originated models; users interested solely in using Sketchup objects in their own SH3D projects will find the going far easier.) While I won't claim to have gotten all the 'gotchas', I do believe I've identified -- and resolved -- the ones that plague folks the most. I've also found a handful of plugins that greatly simplify the process of making a Sketchup model SH3D-friendly, along with a suggested workflow to ensure no necessary step is skipped. Now this library is on its way to the client, I hope to have a revised version of the paper uploaded by the first week of July.

Speaking of workflows, I discovered a handful of infelicities in the way SH3D handle exportation and importation. (Rather, I should say I also discovered them, as others were there long before me.) Again, most of these would not affect users looking to include Sketchup-based models in their projects -- but they do cause problems for those of us trying to bundle such models into a SH3D furniture library. Fortunately, there appear to be relatively simple, if somewhat time-consuming, work-arounds available for all of the problems I encountered. Here's the cheat-sheet I ultimately relied upon to make sure I didn't miss a step:

As you can see, most models required either 10 or 12 steps from start to finish, 4 of which were work-arounds.

Finally, here are a few of the models I created, built primarily in Sketchup and rendered in SH3D. Frankly, they contain more detail than the client required (or paid for wink , as I also intend to use them in my portfolio. (In a few instances, I've provided her with a somewhat simpler alternative model, in case over-all project size or rendering time becomes an issue.) I should also hasten to add these are far from precise, as I typically was working from a handful (at most) of catalog photos, possibly along with an approximate dimension. Still, they should be close enough to allow the client to experiment with possible floorplans and workflows -- and prove to the fire marshal she's provided for sufficient ingress and egress.

To see any of these at full size, select the "[FS]" link that follows the image.

Thanks,
Maz

Note: While creating this post, I was having problems getting all images to load from MediaFire. Please let me know if this continues, and I'll move the images to a different host.

[FS] [FS]

[FS] [FS]

[FS] [FS]

[FS] [FS]

[FS] [FS]

[FS] [FS]
[Jul 22, 2016, 9:25:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark
Re: orthogonally SH3D

Nice work!

cec
[Jul 22, 2016, 11:52:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bdfd
Advanced Member

Western Europa
smile Re: orthogonally SH3D

Good job ! smile

Really very specific, almost Professional...
----------------------------------------
Evil progresses when good people do nothing!
---
SH3D 7.1 and nothing else - W11 64b in 4K
[Jul 23, 2016, 4:40:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MartinSK
Advanced Member

Slovakia

perfect....
[Jul 23, 2016, 7:31:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
VeroniQ
Advanced Member

France

Strange machines! A little disturbing... Both so realistic and totally unknown. Congratulations docteur Frankenstein!
[Jul 23, 2016, 3:44:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bdfd
Advanced Member

Western Europa

Strange machines!
They are machines that can be found in some laboratories... smile
---
[Jul 23, 2016, 4:08:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Miker777
Advanced Member

UK

Excellent detailing Mazoola, amazing. =P~
[Jul 23, 2016, 5:52:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA

Thanks for all the kind words -- I can't wait to see what the client does with these.

Amazingly, I've only found a few minor glitches so far. (I *do* suddenly have more time on my hands than I expected -- and I still occasionally fire up Sketchup, only to find I have nothing to do....) It's taken longer than I'd hoped to translate what I learned into a coherent white paper, but even it progresses.

And in the meantime, is there a home design or room decor that *couldn't* do with the addition of a nice, shiny dapping set (table centerpiece, perhaps?)? Or how about a charmingly whimsical stereo microscope perching jauntily on the fridge? Methinks I have a lot of older plans to revisit....
[Jul 31, 2016, 10:04:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bdfd
Advanced Member

Western Europa

Bravo applause

They can find their place in the laboratory of a scientist .... crazy ? smile
Left to do the lab... laughing
---
[Aug 1, 2016, 5:45:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved