Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 25
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10117 times and has 24 replies Next Thread
rennmoehre

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
confused Xeon 8core or 2x XEON 6core CPU - which one ist faster?

Hello,

my current Core i3-560 (3,3GHz, 12GB RAM) is too slow to render the pictures in the last 2 quality modes.

One minute for a Full HD picture would be okay, but at the moment I need 6min with a file without any objects exept the walls an some windows.

I'm looking for new (used) PC, but I'm not sure which one gives me the best performance.
I can buy a workstation with a Xeon E5-2670 (1 CPU with 8 cores @ 2.6GHz) or a Dual XEON X2675 (2 CPUs with 6 cores @3.06GHz) for nearly the same price. Both have at least 24GB RAM.

But which one is faster?
[Jul 24, 2016, 7:49:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Xeon 8core or 2x XEON 6core CPU - which one ist faster?

The more cores/threads the computer has, the faster Q3/Q4 renderings will be computed. If both processors have twice more threads than cores, I guess that the 2x6x2=24 threads of the second solution should compute faster than the 2x8=16 threads, moreover if its the dual processors run at a higher frequency...
But be sure to check the specs, because I couldn't find the second processor on Intel web site.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jul 24, 2016, 6:03:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rennmoehre

Okay thanks. Sorry for the typo. The 6core CPU is a X5675 http://ark.intel.com/de/products/52577/Intel-...06-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI
[Jul 24, 2016, 6:44:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA

I'd take a look at your current system first, as well -- that sort of render time seems awfully high, and if it's a symptom of something else, firing up the hardware may provide only a short-term fix.

I'm running 32-bit XP on an old Core 2 Duo (not sure which one - I'm away from the machine, so I can't check, but I recall a Q9650 would be considered a substantial upgrade) with 3 Gb of RAM. That's the machine I used to create and render all the images in this thread. IIRC, the largest image on that page, with at least a dozen light sources and a number of translucent and mirrored textures, took roughly 20 minutes to render at 1920 x 966. Six minutes for an empty scene -- unless it's insanely high-def -- seems awfully long.
[Jul 25, 2016, 2:05:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rennmoehre

I installed the lates java version, but his does not speed up the rendering. (Java Version 1.8.0_74 / 64 bit / 3,6 GB max)
Rendering time for christmaslights.sh3d is 7:30min in 400x225.

I can only guess that the problem is, that I only use the internal graphics of the i3. I can try if I can speed it up if I only use one monitor, but 1280x1024 should be no problem, even if it is displayed on two monitor.
[Jul 25, 2016, 6:16:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA

Rendering time for christmaslights.sh3d is 7:30min in 400x225.

I'll have to give that a shot when I return home shortly. (The PC I'm using currently -- even more antiquated than the other -- decided at some point to stop running SH3D, and I've not been able to figure out why. Seemingly, any time the app updates the 3D window, it crashes. As I intend to retire the PC, soon, I've not spent many cycles trying to figure out what's wrong.) Off-hand, though, that seems seriously wrong....

I can only guess that the problem is, that I only use the internal graphics of the i3. I can try if I can speed it up if I only use one monitor, but 1280x1024 should be no problem, even if it is displayed on two monitor.

I doubt that's an issue, either -- mainly because Q3 and Q4 rendering are handled (Emmanuel, correct me if I'm wrong) entirely by the CPU: There's no use of the GPU or reliance upon OpenGL/DirectX (that is, none tied specifically to Q3/Q4 renders).

For that matter, the old XP system I use drives three monitors, two from a relatively old Nvidia card and the third from integrated graphics (Intel) on my Gigabyte(?) Supermicro(?) motherboard. There's definitely something amiss with the latter display -- if the 3D window straddles the second and third monitors or the program is configured to open the 3D window on the third monitor, either the application crashes or the system blue-screens. As long as I keep that in mind, though, everything seems fine.

Let me hasten to add I don't want to deprive you of the joy of new hardware! wink It's just that I've not found many systems (besides the one I'm currently using, of course) that won't run SH3D with at least usable friskiness. (My initial exposure to the program was on a 2.6 Ghz P4 that predated hyper-threading, and while I wouldn't want to return to it for my development machine, I didn't find myself cursing at it, either.) For you to be hitting performance issues on an i3 -- even an old i3 -- when rendering essentially an empty scene suggests something else is an issue. And should that something be environmental, a peripheral-related hardware issue, or caused by conflicts with an essential piece of hard- or software, it could easily continue to be problem after the upgrade.

Maz
[Jul 25, 2016, 7:02:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

My 6-core PC renders the xmas-tree in 6:00 minutes.
You don't mention the size of your model, nor the size of the image you want to render.

You don't need 12GB of memory, I think. I've never seen my PC use more than 2-3 GB while rendering very complex files with lots of trees or lots of lights.

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Jul 25, 2016, 10:22:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rennmoehre

Thanks for the answers. 6min with a six core means that 7:30 of my current machine are not that bad.
Is you time for the 400x225 picture or was your picture larger?

Yes of course new hardware would be fine biggrin , but if there is problem/software wich slows down the java rendering, the new one is 6 times faster - but what would happen without this problem.

Is there an "offical" benchmark for SH3D or is the christmas tree a good file to compare some rendering times?
[Jul 26, 2016, 7:08:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bdfd
Advanced Member

Western Europa

Ya, it will be interesting to get all parameters to compare
a rendered picture as :
Processor, RAM, graphic card & its memory, ...

How are the conditions to generate the 'famous' Christmas tree ?
Evil progresses when good people do nothing!
---
SH3D 7.1 and nothing else - W11 64b in 4K
[Jul 26, 2016, 7:40:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

On my i7 4GHz 4 cores/8 threads running on an iMac, Christmas lights scene was rendered in 2'40".
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jul 26, 2016, 8:34:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved