Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 25
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10122 times and has 24 replies Next Thread
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Xeon 8core or 2x XEON 6core CPU - which one ist faster?

with the "Create photo with renderer" plugin the rendering uses smaller tiles, this means the processor load does not drop after each completed part of the pictures I have a time of 1:48min

That's really interesting. With my slow machine and XP, the "Create photo" plugin appears to render more slowly than the default renderer with larger buckets. Admittedly, it's been a while since I compared them, and my timing of the default renderer may have been a bit haphazard. Or it may be that in faster or multi-multicore machines, swapping buckets in and out of memory is more of a bottleneck than the actual processing.

For curiosity's sake, are you running it with or without hyperthreading?
[Aug 6, 2016, 9:14:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rennmoehre

It runs with hyperthreading.

Is there a possibility to change the size of the tiles when rendering a videofile? It looks like that they are really large, because the second CPU is idling half of the time.
This could be a massive drop in time, if the tiles are smaller.
[Aug 8, 2016, 7:13:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

I'm using Ubuntu and have System Monitor open quite often. That program shows me that all cores are being used all of the time, regardless of the size of the tiles.

H
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Aug 8, 2016, 7:48:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rennmoehre

Okay, thanks. The benchmarks I have seen so far showed no real differences between Windows and Linux with sunflow rendering, but I think nobody has tested this with a 2 cpu setup. I'll check this.
[Aug 8, 2016, 9:20:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

My experience is with one four or six core processor.
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Aug 8, 2016, 9:46:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved