Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6796 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
UKenGB

UK
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Some thoughts

First of all, I think SH3D is amazing and Emmanuel should be congratulated on what he has achieved. But as with everything, there's always improvements that can be made. wink

Notes for furniture objects.

Often there are many apparently similar items whose variations are not obvious. You might have to delve into the 'materials' of the object to see what can or cannot be done. It would be so much better if an object could have notes attached so the designer could list the specific features to make it easier to then search for and select the best alternative.

Furniture panel

Could the categorising be done better so that for example searching for 'window' doesn't find all doors as well and vice versa. The problem is they are both in the 'Doors and windows' category which is included in the search so searching for 'door' or 'window' will always list both. But if I want a window, I don't want to have to search through doors as well. Currently there's no way to retrieve JUST doors, or JUST windows.

Levels

... are like Layers in other drawing apps and it would be great if we could more easily 'show' and 'hide' layers, e.g. right click on the Level's tab to pop up a context menu about that Level, with 'Hide' and/or 'Show' as options. Also perhaps a pop up window listing all the levels and a simple visibility check box next to each. In fact, make it just like the furniture list so it can also be viewed in the left hand panel of the main window.

Also, to be able to simultaneously show more than one Level in Plan would be helpful.

Walls

Add TEXTURE to top of wall. If you can see the top of a wall, you need for it to show the texture of the wall. Just a colour is not sufficient. It should be possible for the Wall's texture to 'wrap' around ANY edges that show, either at its extremities or if it's cut through with an invisible object.

Also, I would like to see saved wall parameter sets. So a particular wall configuration (height, thickness, texture etc) could be saved, by name and then quickly recalled for re-use. Even better, also allow a Level to have a default wall assigned. This would make a huge improvement in speed of design/drawing.
[Jul 27, 2016, 8:59:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UKenGB

UK
Re: Some (more) thoughts

Background Image

I would like to be able to simply manipulate the background image while looking at the Plan view. I may have to import an image and line it up with what I have already drawn. But if you get it slightly wrong, it's back to the beginning again. I'd like to be able to 'nudge' the image to slightly change its placement and also have some way to finely adjust the scaling. Just very small adjustments to fine tune alignment.

Also, to be able to simply copy a background image from one Level to another, so it's scaling and placement would be identical. Perhaps even better would be if we could add a background image and then specify in which Level(s) it should appear. Maybe even multiple images in the same level, suitably translucent to be able to see more than one. Obviously it would become meaningless with too many visible in one Level, but that would be up to the user.

Even just one image per Level would be ok though. So load up (and set scale and centre) any background image(s) you want to use and then for each Level you can pick from the list of already loaded images which one you want to display in that Level.

That would work for me. smile
[Jul 27, 2016, 9:52:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: Some thoughts

Notes for furniture objects
Some of the catalogue options are indeed (and unfortunately) rarely used. Possibly, just possibly, they would be used more often if one could add a separate .properties file to any compressed file containing a model file (a one model .sh3f file, if you like). At least, I know I would be more inclined to add supplementary info to each model.

Levels
Related discussion in thread 5899. Still, Ctrl-Shift-h works pretty well.

Furniture panel ..no way to retrieve JUST doors, or JUST windows...
Quite - it is true that a window/door search will provide very many models. Not sure it is a big problem, but I see what you mean.

ok
[Aug 10, 2016, 1:09:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved