Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 27
Posts: 27   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 16395 times and has 26 replies Next Thread
okh
Advanced Member

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Is it rendered at AM or PM? (Why I'm struggling with the time of day.)

You didn't by any chance buy your computer in Berlin?
Nope, in fact this is one of the few I have actually bought in Scandinavia. However, it is set to English UK (not US) for all OS settings but the actual layout of the keyboard (and € as default currency). This one even has a combined, physical, Scandinavian keyboard that displays how the Danes got the Ø and Æ mixed up. I share your frustration, moving a couple of keys really messes up everything. For a long period I was used to the French keyboard, but that only works if you have a separate numeric keyboard as the French have yet to figure out the numeric row on top. What I really hate, is when I work on French keyboards and have to type long hidden passwords with tons of special characters. Yes I touch type, but with endless special characters... A mess.

Anyway, I suspect your AM/PM problem is somewhere in Java/MacOS. Maybe possible to fix, but I would not know.
..is 12:01 AM one minute past noon, or one minute midnight?
12:01 AM is most certainly just after midnight - as 12:01 PM means: "hungry, time to go for lunch". It is the 12:00 which is confusing. Your mnemonic-tool: AM = "After Midnight" is kind of confusing, though, when AM means before noon.

As for the superiority of the 24 hour system, I fully agree. But then, I am against DST too. In fact, standardised time zones only came into play to get the train tables right - and I kind of think we could all be better off using UTC in an international world. Ever tried to schedule an international phone-conference? On the other hand, Danish counting from 50 to 99 requires linguistic and mathematical skills which makes AM/PM and time zones easy in comparison... smile

ok
[Aug 22, 2016, 9:46:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Miker777
Advanced Member

UK

So, just to clarify, here is an image i made at 12:63 on monturday the 32/13/2017, beutiful clear weather and i was in the garden facing due south north standing on my head.

Mike smile
[Aug 22, 2016, 10:25:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

.. at 12:63 on monturday the 32/13/2017..

smile The post brexit system, I presume... along with the coming reintroduction of the shilling no doubt. smile
[Aug 22, 2016, 10:39:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Miker777
Advanced Member

UK

They stopped the shilling?
[Aug 22, 2016, 10:50:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

@ okh

What's the difference between After Midnight and Before Noon? One is AM and the other is BN. Six hours before noon equals six hours after midnight. smile

As my illustrations show, AM and PM gave the opposite results of what I wanted. The reason for that, was that my coordinates were set to China ( the bungalow-project), and I forgot to change the coordinates when I changed the time-zone to Oslo. I was thinking someone would point that out for me, although I already knew this when I posted, you know, presenting a problem and creating a discussion.

Counting in danish is not so difficult. It's just like how we tell someone what time it is.
Example: In Norwegian ( or Danish), you don't say half past seven at 7:30, you say half eight ( halv åtte), right? Half the next whole number.

So think score (snes). One score = 20.
So sixty equals three score. (Tres = tre snes)
Fifty equals two score and ten.
And like with the time, we put the half first, and say "halv tres" meaning "half three score".

Counting in Danish is quite simple. Just ask the french...
(J'ai eu un copain français dans dix-neuf quatre-vingt-dix-sept.)

You know this, of course, but someone else might not.

Godnatt smile

cec
[Aug 22, 2016, 10:53:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Godnatt smile
@Ceciliabr Godnatt smile to you too (yes, but along with most other words Danes omit the 'snes' from the equation - at least the French have the decency of leaving in all numbers needed to figure it out, and how is 'halv-tres' supposed to make sense?)

@Miker777 - a most annoying part about this whole brexit thing is what Brussels will be like without English sense of humour. Anyone who has suffered a long EU meeting will know...

May just need a podcast before going to sleep.

ok
[Aug 22, 2016, 11:24:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Sorry for my late answer, but I was away for vacation smile

Here are a few notes about your remarks:
- The 12/24 hours notation depends on your country (or the country where the computer thinks you are). I program the choice between either notation from a list of countries that used to be here, but the info seems to have moved elsewhere... If you get confused by 12:00 PM and 12:00 AM, may I suggest that you use the sun/moon symbol that is displayed at the right of the Time spinner?
- The default coordinates of the compass comes from the time zone you chose in your system settings, translated to its matching geographic point when possible (see this part of the program inspired from various sources and that I spent many hours to program). So, Ceclia, if one day it changed from Oslo to Copenhagen, it's because you updated the town of your Time zone or maybe Mac OS X tried to find a more accurate place.
- The decimal separator depends on the language used in Sweet Home 3D. Adding an option in the preferences to force either notation could be nice. Note that under Mac OS X, you can have a point instead of a comma in the numeric pad by pressing the shift key.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Aug 24, 2016, 4:43:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Aloha and thanks. Now the question, of course, is whether SH3D rendering considers the equation of time as wondered in an earlier post. But as that is likely to have zero practical significance, I suppose it is hardly an issue that should take precedence over important post-holiday tasks such as laundry... Good to know you are safely back. ok
[Aug 24, 2016, 5:26:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

@Puybaret

- The 12/24 hours notation depends on your country (or the country where the computer thinks you are).

Well, my computer obviously knows I'm in Denmark (hence the new default location in SH3D), and Denmark is not on the (very short) list of countries still using the 12hr clock.
I don't see what changes I can make to get a 24hr clock in SH3D.

Note that under Mac OS X, you can have a point instead of a comma in the numeric pad by pressing the shift key.

Ah! I didn't know that. Good to know.

Hope you had a lovely vacation smile

cec
[Aug 25, 2016, 12:29:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

I don't see what changes I can make to get a 24hr clock in SH3D.

You system must be in English, and Java doesn't see you're actually in Danemark. You should force your country by setting the Java property user.country to DK. Under Mac OS X, this can be done by editing the Info.plist file found in Sweet Home 3D.app/Contents and adding the lines:
<key>user.country</key>
<string>DK</string>
after the last line that ends with </string> (in version 5.2 this should be at line 248).
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Aug 25, 2016, 12:31:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 27   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved