Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 12
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 20522 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
kevinw.randolph@gmail.com

US
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Sketchup furniture objects frequently lose a lot of detail on import. Is that normal?

Hello,

I have been going to town with Sweet Home 3d. It is an incredible app. After I figured out how to import stuff from SketchUp, it was even better.

However, I have noticed that when I import objects from there, they frequently lose a lot of detail.

Is there something I can that will help me keep the quality? I wasn't sure if I was missing something.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
[Oct 1, 2016, 1:16:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA
Re: Sketchup furniture objects frequently lose a lot of detail on import. Is that normal?

I have noticed that when I import objects from [SketchUp], they frequently lose a lot of detail.

Kevin -

Could you explain in a little more detail what problem you're having -- possibly with examples? The reason I ask is there should be no reason for you to be losing detail moving from SketchUp to SH3D. However, there *are* a number of other that may be issues tripping you up, some of which could conceivably appear to be loss of detail. (I've been working on a guide to creating objects in SketchUp for use in SH3D, um, for some time, now. You can see some examples of models I built in SketchUp and rendered in SH3D in this thread, which I hope is proof you can use SketchUp-originated objects in SH3D with no loss of detail.)

maz

P.S. For information on how to include images and files in a forum post, see this guide from hansmex.
[Oct 2, 2016, 2:08:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 

US
Re: Sketchup furniture objects frequently lose a lot of detail on import. Is that normal?

Hello,

I downloaded a collection from the Sketchup Warehouse (I don't recall what the original name was).
I then opened up the collection in Sketchup (a demo of the current version).
I then went to 'File > Export > 3D Model' and on the subsequent screen I selected the obj file type. I didn't change any of the default settings that are available under 'options'.
I figure I'm doing 'something wrong', I'm just not sure exactly what that might be.

[Note from moderator: fixed links to images]
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Puybaret at Oct 3, 2016, 9:11:15 AM]
[Oct 2, 2016, 4:56:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 

US

Not sure why the image links didn't work. I right-clicked on them and chose 'view image' and it opened the link properly, so the path is correct.

[Note from moderator: you must have missed some steps when you tried to use the link to the images]
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Puybaret at Oct 3, 2016, 9:13:09 AM]
[Oct 2, 2016, 4:58:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 

US

I didn't know the forum would display my login name (which I chose to use my email address for). I had thought it would show my name. Now if I can only figure out how to get that fixed as well. . .
[Oct 2, 2016, 5:09:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA

That's strange. This machine doesn't run SH3D, but a quick glance at this model in SH3D doesn't reveal any of the usual gotchas! for moving from Sketchup to SH3D. I'll test in more detail when I get back to my place -- but in the meantime, you may want to check what export options are set.

When I export to Collada (.DAE) format, these are the options I use:

You may want to check the texture map setting in particular and make sure 'export two-sided faces' is not checked. (I still run SU8 for a very good reason I currently can't recall, so I'm using the SU8 version of the model from the 3D Warehouse. I also couldn't locate a model containing all of the component models in a single scene, so I tested using a component model. You may want to test on a single model at a time, as well.)

I'll get back to you in a few hours, once I've had a bit more time to play with this.

maz

P.S. Your Mediafire images load fine with 'open image in new tab.' You simply chose the wrong URL for embedding. To embed an image in the forum, right click on the desired image on Mediafire, select 'Share,' select 'More sharing options' at the lower left of the 'Share' window, and mark and copy the 'Direct Link' URL. Paste that URL into the 'Image' dialog box in this forum (click 'Image' and follow the instructions).
[Oct 3, 2016, 3:35:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 

US

Thanks for the info about how Media Fire links work.

Below is how I have the options selected. Previously, "Triangulate all faces" was NOT checked. I checked it but it didn't seem to make any difference.

I exported using the .dae format as you showed in your post and it worked perfectly for the ones I was having problems with. I will try and stick to the .dae format for the other images and not use .obj anymore.

Thanks for your help!

Dang, but I really love this app! I'm using it for role playing game floor plans. Once get some 'dungeon' wall textures set up, I will be able to do dungeons rather quickly. When I buy a module, I can scan the floor plan into the computer and quickly generate a 3d version of the module that will help bring it to life better than the applications I have been buying in the past.

Sweet Home 3D is vastly superior to the others in sooo many ways.
[Oct 3, 2016, 8:19:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Your 3D models don't show any texture. Maybe you moved the .dae file without their textures files before importing it.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Oct 3, 2016, 9:16:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 

US

Hello,

In my last post, I mentioned that the import using the .dae format worked perfectly. I just didn't upload a new screen shot for it.

Here is a screen shot showing the import from the .dae format. . .

I'm still learning Sweet Home 3d, but from what I have seen so far, I absolutely love it!

By the way, where do I post to find out how to fix my mistake with my username being my email (forum related question)?

Thanks again for the help!
[Oct 3, 2016, 10:36:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 

US

I guess I'm rather tired (it's 2:42am here). I just looked a little closer and the model on the far left didn't import as cleanly as I had thought. All of these were in a single collection and imported at the same time. I would have expected that they all have the same level of quality. However, the one on the far left and the one on the far right seem to have some texture issues if you look closely. I should try with some other character models and see how they do. Perhaps there is something 'odd' in the this character collection that is messing up the export from SketchUp? The export options I'm using are the same ones Mazoola suggested up above.
[Oct 3, 2016, 10:47:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved